[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

wow, just wow.

Thanks! Made possible with Pwings, B9 pack, Firespitter parts pack, Tv's aerospace and flies best with FAR.(and ampyear, lazor system and KAS) Anyone who's not using these packs especially is really missing out..buy KSP today, etc, etc! (It's on sale this weekend on steam)

So I finally got this mod yesterday because I was just at my wits end with ugly wings. Turns out these wings have way too little lift for Vanilla KSP and the COL indicator is incorrect. I managed to ignore it with mostly no problems but a person with no experience with how the game handles lift, and little space plane experience, will find a frustrating experience.

My only other gripe is that it is still impossible to build a working space shuttle! Still not enough lift until the wings are so big it looks like a 747. Literally, the Vanilla Canard has more lift than my entire shuttle wing assembly.

We really need a separate version of this that is for Vanilla KSP. I don't want FAR. I don't care about it in the least. Until then, this is just a Mod for a Mod.

My only other gripe is that it is still impossible to build a working space shuttle!

...I don't want FAR. I don't care about it in the least.

I think I see the problem. You're attempting to solve a very tricky aerodynamics problem, with the very buggy stock aerodynamics. That ain't going to work out well.

Long ago, in the stock aerodynamics, I made a space shuttle similar in configuration to the real deal. I figured out how to launch and orbit the thing, but it just wouldn't glide to landing. At all. I knocked my head against that wall for awhile, came up with an ugly, hackish solution that technically worked but was unstatisfyingly cheatish...

Then I installed FAR and tried out that same shuttle; no changes to the design. It glided perfectly the first try. YMMV.

Edit: Hey DYJ, I ran into an unexpected problem when using the mod and Mission Controller together. I made a curved wing out of multiple pWing parts, and it ended up being exorbitantly expensive because each tiny wing section added to the cost. How difficult would it be to scale cost along with mass, so a large pWing section is more expensive than a small section?

Edited by White Owl

A GUI to adjust the parameters of each segment would be nice as well. You can end altering other pWing segments if you drag your mouse the wrong way. Also, adjusting wing thickness would be other cool thing to add.

Holy crap, this mod is fantastic! This and FAR have given me one of the few non-space things I was looking for in KSP; the ability to build and fly fighter jets that handle like Over-G Fighters on the xbox. It's one of the few console flight sim games I've played that has acted realistically, and was a ton of fun back in the day.

Thank you!

I wonder how hard it is coding wise for op to add more sets in like ladder fueltank so on

it could be done by having a base class that has the basic things needed for a part that is proceedural. then individual parts could be derrived from that class

A little suggestion here. Do you think you could make it so you can "lock" wings so you can't edit them by accident anymore? It's a bit frustrating trying to make a tail wing because I always change my other wings.

This mod looks great, it doesn't work for me though. I updated FAR and B9, but for some reason no matter what I can't change the shape of wings. Be it B9, wings or stock, it just doesn't work.

AM I missing something? I hold down T and it doesn't do anything. same with R and G. Yes I move the mouse cursor over what I am trying to ajust and drag, but nothing happens.

This mod looks great, it doesn't work for me though. I updated FAR and B9, but for some reason no matter what I can't change the shape of wings. Be it B9, wings or stock, it just doesn't work.

AM I missing something? I hold down T and it doesn't do anything. same with R and G. Yes I move the mouse cursor over what I am trying to ajust and drag, but nothing happens.

The mod doesn't work that way. There are two specific procedural wing parts, the mod doesn't touch other stock or mod parts. Scroll through your aerodynamics parts lists and you should see the two versions of the procedural wings there, one thick and one thin.

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Does this mean that it is also possible to make procedural fuel tanks? Ever since I have first started playing KSP I have thought it would be awesome to just click and drag and create custom sized fuel tanks that would fill with the appropriate amount of fuel based on their size. This would not only lower the part count of the rockets but also make them more rigid and get rid of the annoying floppyness that is inherent in columns of tanks hooked together.

It would be great if the fuel tanks would just stay the standard diameters but be as long or as short as you want them.

I saw WinterOwl's videos, how do you get it to work with B9?

It's a specific pWing part that's modeled to match the B9 wing parts. Easy to overlook in the aero tab of the SPH.

DYJ, I don't suppose there's any chance of getting fuel and oxidizer inside those adapters, is there? Maybe in rockomax orange too?

I want to make a whole series of easy-to-fly space shuttles, specifically to share craft files with everybody and anybody who's ever had difficulty making a shuttle work. The series will already depend heavily on pWings, and I'm considering options for the external fuel tanks. :)

With a little cfg editing you can make a whole series of fuel bearing pwings. I've made for myself a collection of various capacity wings, this works for any part you care to add fuel to. Be warned that fuel weight is related to the amount contained so dont overdo it. Fuel bearing wings allow me to make very stable aircraft no matter if they are empty or full of fuel. Additionally it must be noted that fuel bearing wings will only work in far mod as the stock drag model is based on the mass of the parts, so in stock a several ton payload of fuel will make your wings work like parachutes. I have these cigs available if DYJ is ok with me sharing them.