Think again about leaving kerbals stranded

oggylt

I have not lost any Kerbals in my official save file in .20

However, it's inevitable that I'll eventually lose one somewhere. In that case, I've devised a flag to be planted in their honor at the Kerbal Graveyard whose location is to be determined but I'm thinking one of the small offshore islands, so it will be outside of render distance when I launch things. It will say the name of the Kerbal, Cause of sudden reminding of mortality, mission, stuff like that etc etc etc.

The flag will be the red one in my signature.

I like this.

Edited by M5000

• 6 months later...
today I been watching youtube and went along csauce video called if, and in one part of it he told that NASA wasn't 100% sure that Neil and Buzz will get back to earth so they would be stranded with no hope of returning, so the worst case speech was prepared. Now watch this and think about Kerbals you left behind.

http://youtu.be/QBK3QpQVnaw?t=9m59s

newbie here... about 35 hours of play time total so far. in sandbox i have had successful missions to both mun and minmus (totally not using youtube tutorials :wink: ), but in career mode however, it has been disaster after disaster.

in my career, Jebediah's rocket fell over while landing on Mun. So far (probably due to lack of skill) I have not been able to build a rocket with two pods to go rescue him. they are all just too damn heavy. I will have to leave him there until I unlock more parts.

to make matters worse Bill was in orbit around kerban, and i decided on a whim to hop out and let go of the ship. it was my first eva ever and i had no idea how to control it, so Bill ended up being unable to catch back up to the ship. he is still just floating in orbit.

both have been weighing heavy on my heart. knowing that they are stuck where they are for many kerban days, until i can unlock more parts, and get more skilled so i can catch bill in orbit. :( :(

Just saved Jerlof from Duna

He was left with a ship without enough fuel to hit orbit on it's own, I launched it up anyways and went into EVA with enough jetpack to circularize orbit.

Had another ship pick him up and bring him back into kerbins gravity... didn't have enough fuel left to slow down enough to not escape orbit. Had to bail once again and use jetpack to circularize (had 0.42 fuel left on jetpack)

Sent a final ship to go pick him up and brought him home safely. Sour bout dat eva report not saving and giving me science :(

Funny this thread should pop up, just when I accidentally left Jeb stranded in a Kerbol orbit, transferring between Eve and Kerbin indefinitely. I hope he can at least hit Kerbins SOI - otherwise he and the science he collected is stuck with him untill I get my hands on LV-Ns ^^

I had a one named Bobcat Kerman who went adrift in space without much of a chance of rescue, though there were a lot of probes set in order to try. So I logged out to think of ways to retrieve my stranded Kerbal. Upon logging back in though something very weird had occurred, Bobcat was not listed on the tracking station any longer. I went to the recruiting center to see if he had been listed as MIA and again nothing. He was not on my available list or on a mission listing either, he was just gone.

I believe aliens abducted him and now are doing weird things to him, and as such all missions are an attempt to find the truth. The truth is out there....somewhere.....

Well, Jeb is jeb so he's doing fine ^^ But I DID use up all his monopropellant trying to get him to rendezvous with kerbin.. That didn't happen, he's been flying around sun on that one mission for something like 10 years now - 4 years just in the suit.

I watched that video, terrible to say the least, it was to dangerous and i cannot believe that Nasa would do such a thing...

Living in general entails the risk of death. :)

Trying to live as full as possible and reach out to do even more ... entails more risk... but it's what makes life worth it.

The only existance that is risk free ... is to be dead.

PS: That said I'm gonna obey my social anxiety and stay home and play kerbal space program instead. :sticktongue:

I watched that video, terrible to say the least, it was to dangerous and i cannot believe that Nasa would do such a thing...

Imagine if no person crossed the ocean, or braved venturing out into the unknown wilds. Where would be today? It is not a bad thing to plan for the worse in something like going to the moon, or even another planet. To be honest a probe can tell you only so much, eventually you have to take the risk. Think of all the things in life that may not if it had not been for someone, or group of people, taking the risk to do them?

Wow. Those lines. That is good speech writing. I try to never leave a kerbal behind, (Except for one who I think is happy to stay), but it reminds me why I started to make big bases on Kerbin's moons. The little green people of kerbin may look up, and know that their fellow kerbals now live in space. I hope they are inspired.

I never leave a kerball behind, but i killed dozens of them.

When i kill a kerbin, i usually give his name to a place by planting a flag (like "Pike Jebediah" on the top of the mountain near KSC). They deserve it and it helps the other kerbals to remember them.

The odd thing is when they are revived by the game... The "Pike Jebediah" flag was planted by... Jebediah ! (let's pretend he is an homonym)

Throughout .22 I am proud to say I never lost a single Kerbal, thanks to abort systems, parachutes and other paranoia. Ironically the first crew vehicle that was tested under robotic control failed epically, all the abort systems would have failed to save the crew had there been any; a narrow escape. Heck even the SSTO 'Promise' could in the event of total disaster eject the crew compartment to parachute safely down and an early test version had to do just that (was meant to be an un-Kerballed flight but Jeb snuck on board somehow).

All this over-engineering came in very handy with my first Duna mission when the return flight got back to Kerbin with a little under 100m/s Delta-V remaining in the tanks! Dang close thing.

But keep up the efforts to preserve our brave green 'volunteers'! They deserve our every effort!

I NEVER strand Kerbals. Unless they're out-and-out killed, I WILL get them back to Kerbin safely if I have to use HyperEdit or change the persistence file to get them there. (It's rarely that extreme, though, because I usually just send a rescue tug/lander combo.)

EDIT: A recent incident demonstrates this. My Duna orbiter ran out of fuel, and I had to HyperEdit some in.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

I never let kerbals become stranded. When they run out of fuel while orbiting something, i immediately rename their ship to "Kerboom space station XY". When they land somewhere with no way to get back, i call their lander permanent settlement :P

P.S. I make sure Bill, Bob, and Jebediah never get stuck anywhere, they are too valuable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.