[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

Request: Could you offer a TAC LifeSupport pack of tanks?

I've modified the CFG's for the IronCross tanks on my own, but I'm not so good at making sure the numbers are balanced (can the tank hold x amount of this or y amount?).

Resources would be oxygen_tac, water_tac, food_tac. I suppose if people wanted you could make the waste tanks (waste_tac, wastewater_tac, CO2_tac).

...Argh.

Why, oh why there are now small tanks with 1.25m endcaps, large tanks with 2.5m endcaps, but no medium tanks with 2.5m endcaps? :)

Unless i'm looking at the picture incorrectly, the only option for the medium tanks are, in fact, 2.5m endcaps k_undecided.gif

Don't worry, I'll update the EL (EPL for those that prefer three letters :P) spherical tank configs (they're still using the old tanks). I just haven't gotten around to it as I've been either playing or working on my blender addon.

That sounds cool. Why don't you make them have a brownish stripe to separate them from Talisar's tanks?

Any chance of a set of Xenon tanks?? I've got this idea to make a freighter out of the toroidal tanks!!!

Xenon tanks should have a purple band. And a purple glow along those bands. Like the ion engine when on, just purple instead of blue.

...Argh.

Why, oh why there are now small tanks with 1.25m endcaps, large tanks with 2.5m endcaps, but no medium tanks with 2.5m endcaps? :)

Lol, you are one of many who want that configuration. When I was making up the new set, due to the relative sizes of the medium tank and the 2.5m endcap for it, it pretty much looked like a band with two cones on either side. Not noticeably spherical really. You can sort of see the same effect on the small and large tanks with the larger endcaps, but it was worse on the medium.

However, due to the large demand for this particular configuration, as well as fixing the capacities of the toroidal tanks and adding in the cfgs for further fuel types, I'll polish up the medium/2.5m version and release them all as a full update for the pack in a day or so. I'd appreciate any further feedback/suggestions/bugfixes that anyone can provide over the next day or so, in order get the most out of the update. (And if you all like the toroidal tanks, I will probably make those in more sizes as well.)

I'd also like some opinions of the way I have packaged the different tanks all into the main download. The benefit to this method is that it is much easier for me to maintain, and it is just a single download for everyone. The downside is that if you do not go and delete the resource folders that you don't use, it adds A LOT of tanks to your game... currently 21 tanks per resource type, if you include the empties. Personally, I think the setup I have now seems to work pretty well, but I'd like some feedback about it, as if it turns out to be unpopular it would be better to change it now.

Edited by Talisar

You know what I'd like to see in this pack? Stick on windows. The spherical and particularly large toroidal tank would make great station hulls. Maybe even an actual hemispherical command pod with windows and a crew hatch. Like this:

2001+A+Space+Odyssey+Pic+019.jpg

or this:

2001+A+Space+Odyssey+Pic+044.jpg

and your toroidal tank could easily become a kerbalized version of this with a retexture:

2001+A+Space+Odyssey+Pic+010.jpg

Maybe even an actual hemispherical command pod with windows and a crew hatch. Like this:

- snip -

Funny you should mention that :)

ohot.pnguqlb.png

I have everything working with the exception of toggleable lights. Once I get that figured out, I'll tighten up the texture a bit and add it to the pack. Of course, then I'll have to learn to do IVA's...

I think JewelShishen is referring to the circular radial mounting adapters from the original pack. The ones that weigh way to much (say that one fast :) ). A new version of those is on the to-do list as well, though I didn't realize that they were in very much demand. Most of the feedback that I got about those was questions about the mass. They're pretty quick and easy, so I'll try and make sure they're in the next update.

Edited by Talisar

I think she's referring to the circular radial mounting adapters from the original pack. The ones that weigh way to much (say that one fast :) ). A new version of those is on the to-do list as well :)

Actually it is HE and yes those are the ones I was talking about. I LOVED those! They work perfect for connecting the air envelope for my airships to the body frame! SO HAPPY to hear that they will be making a comeback!

Lol, you are one of many who want that configuration. When I was making up the new set, due to the relative sizes of the medium tank and the 2.5m endcap for it, it pretty much looked like a band with two cones on either side. Not noticeably spherical really. You can sort of see the same effect on the small and large tanks with the larger endcaps, but it was worse on the medium.

However, due to the large demand for this particular configuration, as well as fixing the capacities of the toroidal tanks and adding in the cfgs for further fuel types, I'll polish up the medium/2.5m version and release them all as a full update for the pack in a day or so. I'd appreciate any further feedback/suggestions/bugfixes that anyone can provide over the next day or so, in order get the most out of the update. (And if you all like the toroidal tanks, I will probably make those in more sizes as well.)

Well, if you need some inspiration on how to make the 2.5 spherical tanks look like spheres, here's how some other modders have done it.

Gary Quick and Dirty Miscellania

j7SfZa5.jpg

Ok, it's a nuke; but it's still spherical.

And from Large Structural/Station Components for KSP .20

gX7hJTD.jpg

Oh yeah, check out this engine, too.

vavROtQ.png

Edited by BigFatStupidHead
Another good pic

Good job on the command pod Talisar. Could I request that you make a version with the attach node on the bottom as well as the back like the one in the picture.

Once I get the kinks worked out of this horizontally-aligned one (it's a learning process for me), I'm thinking about making a half spherical vertically aligned one that could be used to make ships similar to the one in the first pic from 2001 that you posted earlier

A half-sphere (the "top" half where the windows are, I presume?) would be really interesting if there were a couple of options for the "bottom" half. A half-sphere crew module with several windows, a half-sphere cargo bay with opening doors across the "front" that slide "back" and around the sides, etc. Even just using a half-shere fuel tank and a thin motor on the bottom with landing legs around it would make for an interesting lander.

A half-sphere (the "top" half where the windows are, I presume?) would be really interesting if there were a couple of options for the "bottom" half. A half-sphere crew module with several windows, a half-sphere cargo bay with opening doors across the "front" that slide "back" and around the sides, etc. Even just using a half-shere fuel tank and a thin motor on the bottom with landing legs around it would make for an interesting lander.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Making it so that it would pair with the current half-spherical tanks, and also coming up with variants of parts to attach to the bottom. I've been considering the best way to do a cargo bay as well, and possibly a custom structural piece to add engine mounts or lander functionality.

In any case, I'll put some thought into it. I want to get the updates to the current pack done first (variant of medium tank with larger endcap, corrected capacaties for toroidal tanks, and the xenon and EPL versions of all of them) before I start putting too much time into the new things. I think I should be able to get that update out pretty soon, as most of the work is done, it's mainly some math and packaging now.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Making it so that it would pair with the current half-spherical tanks, and also coming up with variants of parts to attach to the bottom. I've been considering the best way to do a cargo bay as well, and possibly a custom structural piece to add engine mounts or lander functionality.

In any case, I'll put some thought into it. I want to get the updates to the current pack done first (variant of medium tank with larger endcap, corrected capacaties for toroidal tanks, and the xenon and EPL versions of all of them) before I start putting too much time into the new things. I think I should be able to get that update out pretty soon, as most of the work is done, it's mainly some math and packaging now.

Yay~ Will the radial attachment points be back in this pack as well?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.