[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

It's quite alright with me! :) I don't suppose you ripped the part name too, did you? That would make the transition easier If you didn't, I'll updated them with "deprecated" in the description.

No, I changed the part name. Didn't want anyone to end up having broken ships due to the new models.

Awesome. And thanks a ton for this awesome parts pack! Been in love with it ever since I first found it. I'll post some photos of my new resource tanker/airship as soon as I get it done! Just need to add the KAS grapple anchors and make sure that I have my center of mass/lift/thrust correct.

I like the sphereship. it's coming along quite well. I think the standard yellow would look nicer for the windows though. Big panoramic windows on all 4 sides might be too much. It makes the pilot's window seem less special. A few smaller windows or portholes spread around might look cool. If you assume that the entire lower half was fuel and machinery it still looks like the upper hemisphere would be 2 decks. That's a lot of space for kerbals so I'd think the normal configuration would be space for 6 or 8. I guess how you end up texturing it depends on the mission profile you choose for it. Passenger ships tend to have lots of windows regularly spaced for people to look out. Research or distant habitat ships have a higher ratio of equipment to crew so less windows and not so regularly spaced. Cargo ships would have hardly any windows, but probably a huge cargo bay door painted into the texture.

Can't wait to see how this thing turns out............

Alright! Tried to take my basic airship design and swap the kethane tanks for Metal and Ore tanks (Medium sized still) and found that it can barely get off the ground at just 25% load of ONE of the two! >.< Not saying anything is wrong though! Just baffles me... Lifting off with 24k units of kethane takes 24% lift... Lift off with 2400 units of metal or ore? A whopping 86%!!! And this is on the runway of KSC.

A minor nitpick: EL resources are in Propulsion, when in EL itself, EL tanks are in Utilities, since none of their contents can actually be used as fuel.

Also, wait a moment. Why the contained amount is the same for ore, metal and rocket parts?... Yes, that's been like this since spherical tanks were first configured for EL, well, that can't be right. :)

Mihara: contained amount is volume (200u/m3) rather than mass. That's why I added the kethane wet-mass indicator module to the parts (in EL, no idea of Talisar ripped those too: I haven't had time to look). Parts are 0.0025t/u, Ore is 0.0275t/u and Metal is 0.039t/u.

A minor nitpick: EL resources are in Propulsion, when in EL itself, EL tanks are in Utilities, since none of their contents can actually be used as fuel.

I didn't notice that, I'll change it for the next update as well

- snip -no idea of Talisar ripped those too: I haven't had time to look -snip -

I did add that module to the EL tanks too :)

v2.2

- Major texture optimization rehaul. Size on disk reduced from 102mb to 14.3mb

- Moved EL Mod resource storage tanks to Utility tab

- Corrected capacity of medium half-spherical EL storage tanks

I redid the unwraps of all the models in order to allow more texture sharing. Size of the complete pack was reduced by 86%.

I don't believe this update will break existing craft, but it will break any custom textures you may have made for the spherical and half-spherical tanks.

Edited by Talisar

v2.2

- Major texture optimization rehaul. Size on disk reduced from 102mb to 14.3mb

- Moved EL Mod resource storage tanks to Utility tab

- Corrected capacity of medium half-spherical EL storage tanks

I redid the unwraps of all the models in order to allow more texture sharing. Size of the complete pack was reduced by 86%.

I don't believe this update will break existing craft, but it will break any custom textures you may have made for the spherical and half-spherical tanks.

Well time to redo my texture recolors though this time it shouldn't take as long I hope~

Hmhm... I'm wondering if there might be a "plugin-way" to select the type (lfo, full/empty) of tank after placing it in VAB. That way, we wouldn't need that crapton of tanks in the part lists :D

Still, great work!

could you do a white texture pack again? also white/silver radial connector thingies?

The memory usage miniaturization is great. Oh, and I noticed that you name your versions like this

While it should be like

The 2.21 would be after 21 minor versions in major version 2. Just a small correction :)

The memory usage miniaturization is great. Oh, and I noticed that you name your versions like this

While it should be like

The 2.21 would be after 21 minor versions in major version 2. Just a small correction :)

It's a personal choice thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.