Learned a hard lesson

Toshogu

We have learned a hardlesson with the update. This being my first update...

having used mod I have lost the use of all my orbital stations and vehicles. Till game goes into a stable build I shall limit myself to the stock game. My fueling station is gone all my hard work gone =(

I have a .zip folder of each of my old installs both stock and with my mods. So I can go back and play whichever station, system, mod that I had in the past. Just copy them to an external and you can pick and choose. Sorry to hear what happened, but now you can be more prepared. I will probably always spend a little time on my 19.1 RemoteTech Modded install.

That's why I don't look upon anything I do in KSP as "permanent" at this point. Things will change and things will break as they continue to develop the game's code. Such is the nature of pre-release software. Put another way, "If you want an omelette, you have to break a few eggs."

This is the reason I don't want to use the Steam version. With the KSP Store version, you can just download into a different folder a copy over your files as you go along.

You can do the exact same thing with the Steam Version. I do. There is no DRM in the install just like the Squad sold version. In fact, once you move the install folder out of the steam directory, the program thinks it is the squad version and gives you an update button on the menu page. :D

I have a .zip folder of each of my old installs both stock and with my mods. So I can go back and play whichever station, system, mod that I had in the past. Just copy them to an external and you can pick and choose. Sorry to hear what happened, but now you can be more prepared. I will probably always spend a little time on my 19.1 RemoteTech Modded install.

word. from 0.18.2 onwards, I've also kept the downloadable .zip file of the game.

oh, the saves are fine, it's because of the new file architecture that my creations are no longer valid. The files call for parts and things that are no longer where they used to be. =P

That's not what I meant. Make a copy of the "Entire" KSP Installation. Then you can have multiple version installed at the same time. I have 3x .19.1 installs. 1 is a stock .19.1 with Engineer. 1 is will all my mods minus remote tech. and the last has all my mods with remote tech. Now I have a 4th, my stock .20 install. So if I want to play with my old creations, i just launch whichever install has what I want to play on it. Takes up more space but I don't lose anything.

If you use a mod, then try to play without the mod installed, it's to be expected that the ships using the mod parts won't be able to load.

So, install the mods again if you want to keep your save.

I don't bother, though. I'll copy any ship designs I want to use again over to the new VAB/SPH folders, but I don't try to restore all my missions.

Edited by RoboRay

Rule #1

Start a new game after each big update. You'll learn all the new parts faster, and your old designs quickly become obsolete anyway.

What he said... :D

I just keep mine around because they all have various sentimental values. And from time to time its nice to look back. That and playing Minecraft since the beginning, I always kept a copy of the older versions. To this day, I have copies going way back and I still have my very first game on the original version. It's pretty cool actually. Will be nice one day to look back and load up my .19 games and see what I was doing then compared to where the game will get eventually.

My ships mostly survived the update this time. My beautiful Mun base was underground though. I had to modify the save file to get it back above the terrain. Everything still works as it should though, and I'm using a ton of mods.

We go through this with every single update. You absolutely must be prepared to lose your work.

This could be avoided with more backups, for me just the idea of updating the game without taking an full backup is surreal.

As for mods, play around with the new parts a couple of days and all the mods get updated.

As long as you create a backup before every update you can always copy the broken save file over from the backup and reload game and repeat this until all mods/parts load fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.