The first update i have actually been disappointed in

GalaxyGryphon

nope, im running 100% stock parts and all that. i installed it on .19 and steam auto updated it to .20

Hmmmm.... maybe uninstall and reinstall? I only suggest this because I'm having no problems, and I always do my updates (non-steam) as a fresh install. Rename the old directory from "KSP" to "KSP-[version]", unzip the new version, then rename it KSP. I then copy/paste any save files I want to transfer over, so if things blow up, I can always go back to the previous version to finish up my missions and/or wait for fixes.

please be honest with me... do you think you are doing anyone any better with a reply like that?

Why dance around it when it's true? I get that it's a bit harsh, but when someone who's alpha testing a game says their disappointed in an update over *gasp* bugs, it's a bit silly. You can't expect bugs to just decrease with every update, most especially alpha updates that involve the adding of new mechanics. Even fully launched games suffer from this issue. It's a part of the developmental process.

Though honestly, I think this is more directed towards those who complain that not all of their mods work now, when the answer is simply, wait until the modders update them. They seem to be the most vocal about the issue, as I see it anyway.

You could always wait until 0.20.1 :)

Btw, I haven't found any serious "bug" yet, just things like loading flickering, which doesn't interfere with anything

I don't think he has a choice but to wait...That goes for all of us. That does not mean that he can't share his thoughts.

Did we need another one of these threads?

I think the reason people are making these threads is because they want to address their concerns and the mass majority doesn't want to listen. I think the issue is that people want to defend their purchases. That's fine everyone does that, but this is a purchase that we still have a say in so it makes sense that people want to say what they feel about the game while it's still in development.

I just tried it today. No issues whatsoever. The loading was noticably slower but then my machine hasn't been restarted in days so it could be anything.

I built a new rocket, went to the Mun, screwed up the landing (some things never change), landed on the Poodle without breaking it or toppleing over, went on EVA, planted flag, wrote a blurb, took pictures, went home, just barely reached athmosphere and delpoyed chutes for a succesful dry landing.

While it's not a massive update, and not enough to stop my ongoing Duna mission (with 13 vessels at once no less) in .19 it's working well. The removal of the root part of the build and the new Sr. docking port are great additions. The Skipper engine is almost a cheat and the flags aren't much as flags, but as the ability to name places they kick ass.

All in all very happy with the update and have no complaints. I doubt huge additions are likely so it's porbably to be expected that new versions bring new stuff little by little.

People expect too much at first launch, it is launched so it can get mass-tested, then updated. If you want it to be thoroughly tested, then don't expect speedy updates. I haven't seen any game-breaking bugs, only the textures not being as good. And yes, I know this is a rant thread, I'm not talking at the ranters, just the people insulting Squad for having bugs in the game.

We didn't get speedy updates though, 2 months for an update with this little amount of features isn't speedy.

I would understand if we had resources, as that's a big feature.

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

We didn't get speedy updates though, 2 months for an update with this little amount of features isn't speedy.

I would understand if we had resources, as that's a big feature.

this update was more of a mechanics update, it changed graphics and engines a quite a bit

Compared to a lot of programs this IS a speedy update considering the size of the dev team. And the fact that it came out fast means that some bugs did get through. Remember they have changed a LOT in the background to make life simpler (eventually) for the mod designers out there. The organisation of the database really needed a going over and that is what they did. It's just that changes will always break something.

Oh and no, I'm not being a fanboy. I'm just being a retired programmer/analyst of over 20 years so I know what I am talking about. I still rant a bit regarding bugs but in KSP's case it does have a very good excuse... several in fact.

1. It's an Alpha.

2. It's a small dev team made up of mod makers that got hired.

3. It's made up of relatively novice coders.

4. IT'S NOT EVEN A BETA.

So yeah, I'm going to cut SQUAD a break. If this was a release and it had tons of bugs I would be grumbling though. I think a lot of Release Candidate games are being pushed out the door by a lot of sales teams before the product is ready. Games like SimCity recently for example. The developer should know better but they are just trying to recoup their development costs.

this update was more of a mechanics update, it changed graphics and engines a quite a bit

This is what I say/think too, while some people are claiming to have performance issues actually increase, and certainly I can't speak for everyone, I personally have noticed a good increase thus far. Though, I haven't tried filling my orbit with debris yet....

I think this update really improved the feel of the game. New map view/tracking station makes it feel so much closer to completion than it actually is, IMO.

As a Mac user, this absolutely made my whole day; the load times are far better, the game performs better, the apoapsis and eva missing information is gone... I for one am very pleased with .20. .18.4 destroyed the game for me, so I know how you feel - but I want the game to stay this way, now that it works properly on my machine.

This is what I say/think too, while some people are claiming to have performance issues actually increase, and certainly I can't speak for everyone, I personally have noticed a good increase thus far. Though, I haven't tried filling my orbit with debris yet....

I think this update really improved the feel of the game. New map view/tracking station makes it feel so much closer to completion than it actually is, IMO.

I agree that the feel is better. I like the new options in the map view. I don't know if they will solve my problems yet (started a new game), but will once I fill my orbit with stuff.

I've not really noticed any performance improvements, but then I have a pretty good machine to start with. My son on the other hand has noticed it is more stable.

Having said that, some of the issues I saw appearing in the development section had me worried. So far I haven't experienced anything particularly bad - I was worried about launch clamps spawning in and crashing me the most. The worst I have had so far is the structural failures not being reported. I'm sure I'll hit other bugs, but I expect this since it's an alpha version.

I'll keep playing 0.20 until the next version comes out, or if the bugs get too bad I'll go back to 0.19 in the meantime. I doubt that I'll need to go back to 0.19 though - it all seems good so far.

The main problem I think is, that people forget trouble shooting 101: Get a clean installation. After skimming trough some threads on issues, I've noticed that most cases it was an old safe file that was incompatible. Or even worse, report bugs caused by mods. It's a shame Squad gets flak for mistakes made by the tester.

I'm a bit disappointing that the IVA's where in a very low resolution, from the images I though we would be able to read all labels without having to squint and also the blurry planet textures.

I do like the new terrain lightning thing, it looks very good, and the issues I had with lightning in 0.19 are fixed now, the apoapsis and periapsis locking is very useful, and the flags are very cool. I just which we would have gotten some more KSPX parts made stock, like the 3m Nerva.

You have come a long way from the old 0.9 days, I hope the next patch fixes most issues people are having :)

Compared to a lot of programs this IS a speedy update considering the size of the dev team. And the fact that it came out fast means that some bugs did get through. Remember they have changed a LOT in the background to make life simpler (eventually) for the mod designers out there. The organisation of the database really needed a going over and that is what they did. It's just that changes will always break something.

Oh and no, I'm not being a fanboy. I'm just being a retired programmer/analyst of over 20 years so I know what I am talking about. I still rant a bit regarding bugs but in KSP's case it does have a very good excuse... several in fact.

1. It's an Alpha.

2. It's a small dev team made up of mod makers that got hired.

3. It's made up of relatively novice coders.

4. IT'S NOT EVEN A BETA.

So yeah, I'm going to cut SQUAD a break. If this was a release and it had tons of bugs I would be grumbling though. I think a lot of Release Candidate games are being pushed out the door by a lot of sales teams before the product is ready. Games like SimCity recently for example. The developer should know better but they are just trying to recoup their development costs.

It's not speedy relative to previous KSP releases which is what I'm getting at, especially when you compare the amount of features in the updates.

0.20 had more people working on it than previous updates and with less features than previous updates but it took as long as, if not longer, than a lot of the previous updates.

It's not speedy relative to previous KSP releases which is what I'm getting at, especially when you compare the amount of features in the updates.

0.20 had more people working on it than previous updates and with less features than previous updates but it took as long as, if not longer, than a lot of the previous updates.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/303-A-rant-about-development-asymptotes

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of parts. So they hired the creator of KSPX. So why wasn't KSPX released as an official parts pack? I'm fairly certain some of these people have been hired with the sole intention of creating parts, so where are all the parts?

Probably planned for resources expansion :) We'll need scanning equipment, mining stuff, refinery stuff, some way to transport stuff around. Strong, efficient engines to haul all of it across the system. Maybe some sort of modular containers... Sorry. My imagination tends to run wild when i start to think about resources and mining :D

There's still tons of new features that can be added, that isn't a reason why there should be fewer features and longer development times.

*facepalm*

Just because you don't see a lot of difference at your end (ie the user end) doesn't mean that hardly anything has been done. There are all the new IVAs, the database work that will make modding easier to sort in the future. There are the filters. There are the debugging routines that allow you to Whack A Kerbal etc.... There are the memory optimisations. The added parts.

In fact there is one indicator that shows that a lot has been done in the background. THE SHEER NUMBER OF BUGS. These are a good indicator of what has been changed. The more bugs verses the exponential change in the code.

Yes, there is a whole load of stuff that can be added but when building a house you don't build the foundation and then the roof. Basically what SQUAD has done up to now has been building a skyscraper and they built the foundation and were adding more and more bits when they realised the foundation needed more work. So they went back and updated the foundation (the database) while still giving us a few more bits to play with.

Granted, the mods got broke but would you rather they had waited for another year or so and then we had resources and such and it all had to be redone when the database upgrades had to be done or else the game would lag so bad that it takes an hour to load?

Learn how coding systems work before criticising the devs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.