[0.20] Modular Fuel System 1.3/realistic fuels, reconfigurable fuel tanks and engines

ialdabaoth

Okay, I'm working on the configuration for Cepheus's Component Space Shuttle. Not sure how this goes, though. Might end up badly.

EDIT: I was planning for the RCS to use both MonoPropellant and Oxidizer, but how?

Edited by Designer225

Okay, I'm working on the configuration for Cepheus's Component Space Shuttle. Not sure how this goes, though. Might end up badly.

EDIT: I was planning for the RCS to use both MonoPropellant and Oxidizer, but how?

You don't. :( RCS can only use one propellant at a time. Unless you mean set it up so you can choose in the VAB which to use, in which case... wait for 0.21 to come out.

Okay then.

Anyway done with the CSS (Component Space Shuttle, made by Rocket2Gun, maintained by Cepheus) Modular Fuel System configuration! Took some trials and fixed them. I'm planning to use Oxidizer for the OME, but then again no fuel for RCS... maybe in 0.21. Files will be uploaded soon.

Speaking of which, I've actually freaked out in some trials of that configuration. I planned to make my own propellant, but then the game won't use them...

@iadabaoth I've been fiddling with adding some life support resources and I figured out that a utilization > 1 can be used for things such as Oxygen which I want uncompressed in habitable pods and compressed in tanks (without adding extra resources and converters).

Might I request that this behavior either remain and not wind up being fixed or be formalized with some kind of compressionratio parameter in the event that it is removed?

Still trying to make a cryocooler: tried attaching this code to a part, does nothing. In its own cfg file it globally deactivates all boil off, but I want a part that attached to a ship only stop boil off on that ship, and consumes electricity in exchange.

Edited by RuBisCO

Ah I just noticed this : // all density units are in kg per Kerbo (1 Kerbo = 6.25 cubic meters)

Source I can't seem to reconcile this with anything

Edit: Never mind, you were talking about modularfueltanks not stock

Edited by SchroedingersHat

I've got to say, I was a bit skeptical of this when I first heard of it a few weeks back, but having just installed it I am in love with it already :D Having the ability to configure the upper stages of your rocket to use a cryogenic mixture like real rockets gives such a big advantage over the standard mixtures. It's something I would really like to see make it into the game

A couple of questions though.

Does being in space affect the boil off rates of the cryogenic fuels?

How would I go about making a config so that my Atlas could be configured with this mod?

And finally

Would it possible to add something akin to a solar panel module and a temperature module to the tanks that can detect when it is in sun or not, then tie this to the boil off rates of the fuels. That way, you could build a shield to protect the tanks from the sun in space if, for example, you were planning on making on orbital fuel station. In orbit around Kerbin, a thermometer in the sun reads -40 and out of the sun reads -200. Now its not quite -253 (boiling point of hydrogen) but a shielded tank would be cold enough to prevent major boil off.

Not sure if it is possible to implement something like this, just thought I would throw it out there :)

This is compatible with nova punch?

In the first page it does not said nothing about nova punch, but scott matley mentioned and some guy from the 25 page also did..

So the question remains.. Is this compatible with nova punch?

And one more question, how real are the values of nova punch mod? becoz some engines has an isp of 430.

Edited by AngelLestat

Something I've just noticed, not sure if it's something wrong with my install, but I can't configure the LV-T30 to use any of the modular fuel types. Nothing comes up when I select it

That isn't an oversight; the T30 is the "dead simple" model, and thus doesn't have any switchable configurations.

In the next version, it will have a ModuleEngineConfigs, but it won't have any alternate configurations. (Also, in the next version, ModuleEngineConfigs and ModuleHybridEngines will also fix the Isp bug, where atmospheric Isp causes increased fuel flow instead of decreased thrust.)

That isn't an oversight; the T30 is the "dead simple" model, and thus doesn't have any switchable configurations.

In the next version, it will have a ModuleEngineConfigs, but it won't have any alternate configurations. (Also, in the next version, ModuleEngineConfigs and ModuleHybridEngines will also fix the Isp bug, where atmospheric Isp causes increased fuel flow instead of decreased thrust.)

Will you be writing your own/incorporating/expanding upon the Project Arcturus Thrust Corrector? I love that mod, and it goes so well with yours.

Will you be writing your own/incorporating/expanding upon the Project Arcturus Thrust Corrector? I love that mod, and it goes so well with yours.

Yep! His implementation was beautifully straightforward, so I'm just going to translate it over and make a few simplifications in the places where my mod has already done half the work.

Yep! His implementation was beautifully straightforward, so I'm just going to translate it over and make a few simplifications in the places where my mod has already done half the work.

That's great news! I recall CaptainArbitrary talking about not wanting to mod or worry about supporting his code* so i'm happy you've taken that on.

* which I completely understand. I spent three years doing open source work and it is just as stressful as professional development.

Well, then no config for it^^

And could we get a "sneak-peak" for the planned features of the next version?

Well, then no config for it^^

And could we get a "sneak-peak" for the planned features of the next version?

- Isp will affect thrust instead of fuel consumption

- RCS thrusters will have configurable fuel types

- Radially mounted heat sinks to keep cryogenic tanks cold(er)

- Isp will affect thrust instead of fuel consumption

- RCS thrusters will have configurable fuel types

- Radially mounted heat sinks to keep cryogenic tanks cold(er)

Ah, you got the RCS-stuff working? thats nice :-D

All i need now is a way to add or substract mass from an engine to get the hypergolic engine config (H2N4+N2O4, will replace the current LF+OX combo) running.

Are you going to add UDMH to the mod in future?

Possibly - I'd actually kind of like to pare back specifics, and just concentrate on the codebase; and let other modders like ChestBurster et.al. actually create new fuel types and cross-mod support.

Well guys..

im planning to modify the engine configs with .21/1.4 and i need some opinions about adding hypergolic fuels. I currently considering the addition of either pure Hydrazine H2N4, MMH, UDMH or Aerozine-50 + Dinitrogene tetroxide (N2O4, NTO) as LF+OX replacement. But i dont know which i should add (kinda would like MMH since the shuttle used it^^).

How the new system could look like:

RP-1 = plane fuel

LH2 = SABRE Jet

RP-1+LOX = ascent stages

LH2+LOX = lighter upper stages, SABRE rocket, STS main engines

LH2 + Nuclear fuel = NERVAs

Hydrazine+NTO = interstellar travels, probe fuel, STS OMS systems

If/when you do this, please make sure you've fixed both the jet issue (jets producing way more thrust than they should at sea level) and the SABRE issue (SABREs produce a wonky amount of thrust when they switch modes). It would also be nice to be able to toggle between atmospheric mode and vacumn mode for the amount of thrust produced i the ModuleEngines for use with MechJeb / KE Redux for thrust-to-weight ratios.

Well guys..

im planning to modify the engine configs with .21/1.4 and i need some opinions about adding hypergolic fuels. I currently considering the addition of either pure Hydrazine H2N4, MMH, UDMH or Aerozine-50 + Dinitrogene tetroxide (N2O4, NTO) as LF+OX replacement. But i dont know which i should add (kinda would like MMH since the shuttle used it^^).

How the new system could look like:

RP-1 = plane fuel

LH2 = SABRE Jet

RP-1+LOX = ascent stages

LH2+LOX = lighter upper stages, SABRE rocket, STS main engines

LH2 + Nuclear fuel = NERVAs

Hydrazine+NTO = interstellar travels, probe fuel, STS OMS systems

UH25 and Aerozine 50 are both different mixtures of Hydrazine and UDMH, ones 25 to 75 mix and other is 50/50, dunno if its even possible make a 3rd mixture set so you can mix hypergolic fuels to get different types of ISP/Trust types..