Mun Candidates.

derhp

My RCS lander made it, with a lot of overkill.

XywNf.jpg

3-4 landings so far, 1 landing without return. The wreckage you see is my upper stage / descend stage, which did it\'s work till 20 meters above the surface. Did not use any fuel whatsoever on my intended descent stage. Used it for ascent, which turned out to be good, because some of that fuel was used when I stupidly escaped from moon orbit in the direction of the moon\'s orbit... a few seconds later, get recaptured. auch. But, Thanks to overkill, I made it back safely.

My Ghibli 343L, amazingly, took me to the far side on the first try. With the keyboard (!)

I was piloting from a high angle, and seeing the engine plume light up the terrain when I was touching down was a great surprise :D

ghibli343l.png

Though, I need either better navigation systems to avoid inefficient maneuvers (my Moon capture was hardly efficient...) or a good weight reduction program for the upper stage, since I landed with just a bit less fuel than needed for Munar escape velocity.

Well, I always have my Nova class if needed, the 444L, but I believe that I can get away with less :)

Any newer features?

Don\'t keep up with the development subforum?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3683.msg40772#msg40772

Keep in mind its experimental, and thus buggy, currently some weird orbital bugs.

New features were:

The Mun

Rotating planets; Kerbin, Mun

Star has gravity, Kerbin orbits it - (No physical model yet, just light)

Engines can be vector thrust (gimballing)

Don\'t keep up with the development subforum?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3683.msg40772#msg40772

Keep in mind its experimental, and thus buggy, currently some weird orbital bugs.

New features were:

The Mun

Rotating planets; Kerbin, Mun

Star has gravity, Kerbin orbits it - (No physical model yet, just light)

Engines can be vector thrust (gimballing)

No I meant more like vanilla lander parts, I think Harv said something about lander parts somewhere, but I don\'t know.

I thought about using a runaway booster too, but then remembered it only got you up to about 100 m/s. get about 5 stacked up and you\'ll be good.

The problem wasn\'t that the escape tower wasn\'t powerful enough. It was only meant to get the pod off the surface for the ascent thruster to fire.

The problem was that, for some reason, the ascent thruster was ripped off in the process.

I have a personal belief that anything less than overkill just isn\'t the Kerbal way. With that being said, I made a rocket that uses only stock parts aside from the lander itself, which is the MunLander by MaryG.

I enjoyed the challenge of such a heavy lander in comparison to things that could be made with stock parts.

I\'ve made it in various formats, but this was the most straightforward. KW challenger pack fuel tanks and engines, moaches SRB with the KW pack 1m core SRB CFG file, KW lander, Sunday Punch decouplers, and 1 stock SAS. Engine gimbals causes it to shake itself apart if you use an ASAS.

The long core stage has almost exactly the right amount of Delta V to orbit kerbin, then accelerate to a mun intercept. The second stage fuel tank is solely for mun orbit insertion of bleeding off velocity before landing.

Props to Kyle and Winston for their packs. The lander is very nice. While you\'re locked into one format with it, combining descent tank and lander legs means no chance of a leg snapping off if things go awry just before touch down.

Launch pad pic without fairings.

BHMd4.pngV0kpj.png

A few shots of my current Mün rocket design.

Booster stage separates, revealing the later stages.

04%252520-%252520liftoff%252520stage%252520separation%2525202.png

My Lander on the Mün.

14%252520-%252520on%252520the%252520mun%2525202.png

This photo is especially great if you know that the Lander is just back from the Mün and the Kerbals will get home!

16%252520-%252520we%252520are%252520back.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.