Warthunder - WWII Vehicular Combat Sim

chobit-389

The game developers are Russian, and a larger than average percentage of the player base are thereby also likely to be Russian. What's happening is the same thing that always happens with western games: There are five different versions of the NATO aircraft, but only one MiG, and the MiG is inferior in every way. The only difference is that it's reversed for a change. Very nice! :D

It's a glider tank. The idea was to strap them to bombers and release them over the battlefield, where they would glide to the ground and be ready for use immediately. It was, ah, quite the spectacular failure, if accounts are to be believed.

There are a few variants of B-17 already and dish out just as much damage as they can take, a real bitch to try and sink one. The B-29 will eventually be added too

Thank you. I promise I'll get my facts straight before discussing aircraft from now on. :)

The game developers are Russian, and a larger than average percentage of the player base are thereby also likely to be Russian. What's happening is the same thing that always happens with western games: There are five different versions of the NATO aircraft, but only one MiG, and the MiG is inferior in every way. The only difference is that it's reversed for a change. Very nice! :D

It's a glider tank. The idea was to strap them to bombers and release them over the battlefield, where they would glide to the ground and be ready for use immediately. It was, ah, quite the spectacular failure, if accounts are to be believed.

You do love the Russians and their ways don't you satcharna :D

How spectacular were these failures? Did the tank fall of the wings mid-flight and land on the research team?

It was so the Soviets could land a tank force behind enemy lines. Though the idea was brilliant and later semi-used by the US in Vietnam, it was too early for it's time and the plan didn't work

As for game dev, Gaijin Entertainment is a mainly russian company, but uses it's branch offices to research planes and other stuffs. They're working out nerfs and buffs, the game is still beta after all

You do love the Russians and their ways don't you satcharna :D

How spectacular were these failures? Did the tank fall of the wings mid-flight and land on the research team?

Actually, the tank preformed rather well, however the bombers were too weak to lug it to altitude easily

Light tanks still weigh a LOT. More than a standard bombload

Edited by chobit-389

All glory to the divebomber.

Ive got a tactic that is working repeatably to get to the enemy AA emplacements without getting shot full of holes, and then just work the treeline for some blitz strafing.

Hopefully when I get around to working the Japanese tech tree I'll have enough points saved up to not bankrupt myself crashing into trees. The kingfisher really doesn't roll as well as the peashooter, makes it a lot harder to strafe and then roll to avoid return fire.

Shame Chobit is so high level already I doubt I'd be able to face off. My tailgunner would have fun with you.

From what I read, the tank caused so much drag that the bomber was forced to drop it prematurely (during the ascent, even) and even then could barely straighten out. The tank landed rather far away from everyone, though, as it actually flew pretty well as soon as it was free from the bomber.

I'm a fan of Russia, yes. They've got spirit. They went from an impoverished and preindustrial society to being one of the two strongest nations in the world (the two changing places every couple of years), and despite a decline in the end, managed to come out strong yet again, and is currently building up to become one of the world powers yet again. When you've only lived in tiny, powerless countries that get bullied around by NATO all your life, you sort of admire those kind of traits, as well as how they stand up against the bullies. Being cynical of capitalism and its buddy democracy helps, too. :P But this is hardly the right thread (or even forum) for this discussion, no? :D

Actually, the tank preformed rather well, however the bombers were too weak to lug it to altitude easily

Light tanks still weigh a LOT. More than a standard bombload

They could follow this design:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpBJXRDs9-891lwf09yX-4fSIR8K9xspUGRqgecqBHMmSRn6bESA

It was designed to carry the massive German gliders.

Edit; We would have to follow the discussion somewhere. It's very interesting. And where do you live that's being bullied by NATO?

just done looking at the planned planes for germany.. i'm glad i chose them as my main nation,

those crazy mother****ers had some.. well crazy designs man, can't wait to fly these planes.

I might then choose Germany as my second nation then. I want to try out the worlds first jet bomber!

There any way to set a map preference?

Basically there's a known bug right now that IGP powered PCs will lock up if any map other than Stalingrad is loaded.

I keep having to use task manager to hard kill the game when I see it loading anything other than Stalingrad in order to avoid it.

Stalingrad is on rotation a lot

As for Jets, I only have the Ki-200, which is technically a rocket-assist glider, not a jet.

However, they're fast and if you don't know what you're doing you can easily overshoot your target. It's best to creep in at regular speeds, but hit the throttle when you need acceleration.

Also, do NOT go above 1200mps. You'll lose your wings

It's too bad you guys missed out on April Fools, everyone technically had jets for a day:

shot20130401023924_zps23e07516.jpg

I'm going above 1200 as soon as I get a jet now. I just love the damage system in the game so much I now spend more time in test flight crashing planes into trees than other battles.

Did that actually happen? And if it did, what were they like to fly?

All glory to the divebomber.

Ive got a tactic that is working repeatably to get to the enemy AA emplacements without getting shot full of holes, and then just work the treeline for some blitz strafing.

Hopefully when I get around to working the Japanese tech tree I'll have enough points saved up to not bankrupt myself crashing into trees. The kingfisher really doesn't roll as well as the peashooter, makes it a lot harder to strafe and then roll to avoid return fire.

Shame Chobit is so high level already I doubt I'd be able to face off. My tailgunner would have fun with you.

I found you in one of my games :D (shhhilent1)

Invited you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.