You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I refuse to be stopped by such details ;)

Yah, I looked at the challenge when you posted it, briefly considered fooling with it, then decided that I had had just about enough of Tylo for a while. But I thoroughly enjoyed the writeup, and the detailed instructions!

I remember the time i nearly landed on Eve alive, so close. I was in orbit around Eve, dropping my Periapsis. as i grew closer to the ground, i realized i forgot the parachute. i then crashed into the ground and died

I planned on taking this little ionolifter for a spin on Minmus, but I landed a bit too hard. Smashed the ion engine, tore the solar panels off, and split the ship into two entangled pieces

14172915415_6eceaa4823_o.png

No glorious explosions, but I had just put my Duna lander back into orbit after planting a flag and roaming around, and noted that the parent craft's orbit was slightly inclined compared to the lander's. I check the ascending node and it's 173 degrees. Which is ridiculous, and I don't have enough Delta-v correct, and it doesn't look like more than a few degrees on the map, and how can inclination even GET that far off, and-

Oh, they're orbiting in opposite directions -____-

Running a few tests on a new design and had a derp moment... The thing originally had 2 SRBs and it could barely get into a circular orbit the normal way using a bit of the nukes, but it wasn't too fond of this direction of orbit (which is what I need to grab a particular asteroid I've been eyeing). This particular fail wasn't catastrophic, but it didn't make it to orbit either (mostly) thanks to this little oversight. I conveniently forgot how I had it staged when I went to give it a little more umph and this happened:

I'm debating whether or not to leave MechJeb on this one. So far I haven't used it for anything in this new save except DeltaV calculations and other info... But I really, really, really hate long burns.

my most frustrating failure was when i went to gilly, before this i had never gone to eve before, not even on a flyby. First i did everything wrong, i didn't get up into an orbit around kerbin I decided to do it from an orbit round the sun so it took me ages to get a maneuver node into contact with eve. Then when i went to Eve and circularized and made my orbit equatorial and tried to get an encounter with gilly. There was one big mistake i made in this and that was that my orbit was going in the entire wrong direction to gilly so i decided to abandon the mission where it was.

I think the Kraken just got my ship. I had just captured a class b asteroid and brought it back to ~2300km then sent up a hitchhiker container with a KAS winch to hang on. Got everything set up and the kind Kerbal who made the attachments volunteered to stay in the hitchhiker. Disconnected my ship and grappled the mostly full fuel tank I had left floating nearby from the hitchhiker rendezvous, drain and release, and started to bring the ship back closer to Kerbin for an orbital refuel... I alt-tabbed and was checking some stuff out online, then went back to the game. Everything was fine and I was waiting on a maneuver node, then I hit the map view to check out the orbit and make sure the node was right, and I heard an explosion. I went back to the staging view and my ship... wasn't a ship anymore. It was just the command module floating aimlessly (both Kerbals with big grins on their faces) as the rest of the ship floated quite quickly away from it in a million pieces. I don't even.

Well I'm not sure if this goes in this thread, but after 3+ Kerbin years waiting for a Kethane probe to reach the Jool system and start scanning the moons, it turns out some lousy KSP engineer forgot to actually install the darn kethane scanner.

Well I'm not sure if this goes in this thread, but after 3+ Kerbin years waiting for a Kethane probe to reach the Jool system and start scanning the moons, it turns out some lousy KSP engineer forgot to actually install the darn kethane scanner.

That's a painful situation.

I recently sent a long bomb type science probe off to somewhere obscure, I've blanked where it was from my memory. Forgot the antenna.

While the Minmus Science Station made it to polar Minmus orbit just fine, the Fuel Depot extension had ascent issues. Wobble turned to end over end tumbling, till the fuel depot broke off.

RwIychW.jpg

how did you get that massive thing in orbit? I would love to see pics

Here is the lifter for my latest space junk entry, a two-stage rocket. With the new rigid joints and 12 large reaction wheels, it actually handles pretty well during liftoff without too many struts. Payload weight is 90t, so nothing too extreme, especially for the new NASA rockets.

TMTEado.png

Unfortunately its completely useless, as its way oversized and overpowered for B-class asteroids and obviously too small for the larger C-types. I am currently experimenting with other ideas for precision-landing that dont require a fitting metal cage around the target.

I posted this elsewhere too... I discovered not to uncouple radial mounted super massive generators with attached ion drives using explosive bolts....This lag monster is still spiraling through space on most of its engines.screenshot13.png

nDXgfKM.png

No, the runway was not the intended landing site.

No, that tow truck did not even budge the 4300 ton class E asteroid.

Sorry, all flights are now delayed due to unexpected debris on the runway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.