You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was small and sweet.

Restarted the whole game due to the challenges being added.

Made the first rocket = 1 parachute, 1 fuel can, 1 engine...went rushing to launch pad.

Fired it up, and wtf is this crazy spinning chaotic scene?! Ah...it's a failure to separate the staging...fired engines and parachute at same time. *facepalm*

KSP I am home...

So I figured, with the "Save a kerbal from space" rescue missions, I was going to make my life easier by making a... tiny... Kerbal-rescue-station in orbit. Just a launcher with a whole bunch of small escape pods docked to it, so I can undock one, rendezvous, have it de-orbit and land safely.

So I built what eventually would appear to be a flawed prototype. Had four docked pods balanced off the sides, put my regular launcher sub assembly underneath and launched it. I reached a pretty unstable and ugly 100k orbit, and there the problems began showing. First off, my launcher was way, way too big. I was now making a loss on rescue missions with four pods, lol. Note to self: either put on more pods, or put some smaller rockets on it.

No biggy, figured I would just use this version to minimize my loss, save four kerbals and call the project a day. And here arose the second problem, I sent the bloody thing into space without any way to generate power. Managed to undock one pod before running out of power, which then started spinning uncontrollably. That was fun.

So now I have a bit of a rescue, or rather de-orbit mission ahead of me. I could just destroy them in the tracking station, but where's the fun in that? At least I'll have something to do, today!

So, I made the mistake of speeding up time as I was trying to do a Mun landing with a new design of rocket ship, with the three kerbal capsule. When I realised at about 1,000m that there was no way I could slow down enough I tried to hit F9 to reload the game, and oops, I hit F5. So, I had a rocket, doomed to crash! I tried a couple of escape ideas, nothing worked, so I let it hit, and the only good news was the crew capsule survived! Hurrah, time for a rescue mission.

So I designed a rescue rocket with the 3 man empty can underneath a command capsule, got it to the moon, and landed too far from the crash site. I tried jet packing my way from the crash site to the rescue rocket, but not enough jet pack fuel. And of course, I didn't put ladders on the rescue ship. After a few attempts I decided the only thing for it was to abort the rescue and try again. I flew the rescue ship back to Kerbal, only to discover I had maybe had a lucky escape. The rescue cannister exploded on landing, so all three of the rescued kerbals would have died!

So, I added more parachutes to the rescue can, thought I should really test it before going to the Mun again, but didn't bother (oops). This time the Mun mission was better, I landed closer to the crash site, got all three kerbals to the rescue ship, climbed the newly added ladders, all good. Home time!

So, I saved before re-entry, landed in the ocean, and oh no, the rescue module exploded again!! I tried reloading, redoing the entry, keeping the engines attached & firing them before impact, but that didn't work. I tried again, this time I detached the engine again, and thought I'd get the rescued kerbals to abandon ship just above the ocean. My idea was to get three of them on the ladder, then all jump off at the right moment, but I cocked it up, only one could go on the ladder. In desperation I jumped him off before impact, and lo and behold, both him, and the rescue capsule all survived the impact! :D

6 kerbals, all safely home. What began with a failed save, turned into an epic rescue mission, with the total joy of success when I finally brought them all home safely! :D

So, I made the mistake of speeding up time as I was trying to do a Mun landing with a new design of rocket ship, with the three kerbal capsule. When I realised at about 1,000m that there was no way I could slow down enough I tried to hit F9 to reload the game, and oops, I hit F5. So, I had a rocket, doomed to crash! I tried a couple of escape ideas, nothing worked, so I let it hit, and the only good news was the crew capsule survived! Hurrah, time for a rescue mission.

So I designed a rescue rocket with the 3 man empty can underneath a command capsule, got it to the moon, and landed too far from the crash site. I tried jet packing my way from the crash site to the rescue rocket, but not enough jet pack fuel. And of course, I didn't put ladders on the rescue ship. After a few attempts I decided the only thing for it was to abort the rescue and try again. I flew the rescue ship back to Kerbal, only to discover I had maybe had a lucky escape. The rescue cannister exploded on landing, so all three of the rescued kerbals would have died!

So, I added more parachutes to the rescue can, thought I should really test it before going to the Mun again, but didn't bother (oops). This time the Mun mission was better, I landed closer to the crash site, got all three kerbals to the rescue ship, climbed the newly added ladders, all good. Home time!

So, I saved before re-entry, landed in the ocean, and oh no, the rescue module exploded again!! I tried reloading, redoing the entry, keeping the engines attached & firing them before impact, but that didn't work. I tried again, this time I detached the engine again, and thought I'd get the rescued kerbals to abandon ship just above the ocean. My idea was to get three of them on the ladder, then all jump off at the right moment, but I cocked it up, only one could go on the ladder. In desperation I jumped him off before impact, and lo and behold, both him, and the rescue capsule all survived the impact! :D

6 kerbals, all safely home. What began with a failed save, turned into an epic rescue mission, with the total joy of success when I finally brought them all home safely! :D

..but at least you went to space. :D

http://i.cubeupload.com/NRqJpB.png

Putting those parachute/fuel pods in line with where the nuclear engines dock was definitely not thought through. No net thrust means not going to Duna today.

If that striped thing at the far end is a docking port sr, you can just undock it in half and redock it rotated a bit so they don't stand in the way.

If that striped thing at the far end is a docking port sr, you can just undock it in half and redock it rotated a bit so they don't stand in the way.

Yeah, that was brought to my attention in the What Did You Do Today thread, too. So, perhaps I will be going to Duna today, after all.

First not thinking it through in the design/construction phase, then not looking particularly thoroughly for a solution in orbit... this mission is certainly going well, isn't it.

Edit: Thanks to your suggestion, I ended up going to Duna today, without needing to relaunch. Here are the details.

Edited by Concentric

http://i.cubeupload.com/NRqJpB.png

Putting those parachute/fuel pods in line with where the nuclear engines dock was definitely not thought through. No net thrust means not going to Duna today.

I think almost everyone has done the inline engine thrust disruption at least once. It's a part of the game's learning process.

As far as my most recent mistake using the mods "Better than Starting Manned" and "Deadly Reentry" had a 3 man capsule coming back in at just the wrong angle and burnt up half of my side mounted parachutes. Thankfully due to the fact that I overengineer my landers/re-entry pods the remaining chutes were enough to slow the capsule down enough for a hard impact on the ground that vaporized my 2 additional heat shields, with said vaporization providing the needed remaining breaking 'thrust' for the capsule to survive final impact. So yes, I made it into space, but almost didn't survive making it back. :)

My small science pod station has slowly grown as things dock with it. It now has a sizeable amount of fuel.reserves and enough monopropellant and electricity to serve as a shipyard if I wanted. I even added a reusable lander that does away missions. Unfortunately, the added modules were all in a line and wobbling at the slightest turn, even orbiting minmus. My solution? A massive t shaped docking array to take the strain off if anything else docks. Not only was docking Like trying to put a nozzle on a running firehose, when I succeeded I realized.id just docked to the lander section....so much for that.

Hey everyone! So I'm sure we've all had those launches where we went to test something and they didn't go over to well. I did a search and didn't see a thread like this one (if I missed it please feel free to close or merge) but I'd be curious to see how everyone has failed from time to time as they can be quite epic!

Failed staging at launch...whoops

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4WKtn5fELRg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

And failed staging (maybe I need to pay more attention) mid flight....whoops....again

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f7fjIw83Df8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Hey everyone! So I'm sure we've all had those launches where we went to test something and they didn't go over to well. I did a search and didn't see a thread like this one (if I missed it please feel free to close or merge) but I'd be curious to see how everyone has failed from time to time as they can be quite epic!

Welcome to the forums! :)

I've gone ahead and merged your thread into our existing megathread for the topic.

I really wish I had taken a screenshot to show - but the most hilarious fail I've had so far was watching my second stage on a ballistic trajectory leading my first stage engine by about the height of an orange fuel tank thanks to the SRBs striking the tank and exploding it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.