You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

MechJeb, space is the other way...

http://i.imgur.com/RMF4bso.jpg

So far, MechJeb has delivered more fuel to the ocean than to orbit.

All part of the plan. MechJeb wants to put a huge rocket-fuel oil slick on the ocean, then light it up and gain a huge ascent boost from the explosion when you really need something big in orbit.

Gotta watch that MechJeb.

(in all seriousness though, do you know why it does that??)

All part of the plan. MechJeb wants to put a huge rocket-fuel oil slick on the ocean, then light it up and gain a huge ascent boost from the explosion when you really need something big in orbit.

Gotta watch that MechJeb.

(in all seriousness though, do you know why it does that??)

I have no idea what Mechjeb's true intentions are. Sometimes, it flies my craft straight into the ocean. Sometimes, it just steers it northward (always north though, never south) but then changes its mind and trys to go east to orbit (but fails, because it burned all my fuel going north). Rarely it makes orbit but if it does, the inclination is always greater than 3 degrees. I don't know why it just can't follow the dang ascent profile... I am controlling from the mechjeb unit (which is positioned radially and upright) and my Jet engines aren't flaming out or provided asymmetric thrust. Mechjeb, its weird...

I was attempting a Mun landing (so technically I did make it to space), but my keyboard sometimes sticks and you have to unhook it from the USB to reset it. So I'm 50 meters from landing and I think the w key stuck sending my lander spinning before I can reset the keyboard.

uqfoQK8.png

Please note: I'm running vanilla, version 0.23.5

What I thought was going to be a 'successful' mission, turned to utter failure... due to some very odd behavior on part of KSP? I've not found anything on the forums yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing.

I put a rover up on Minmus, followed by two support craft carrying crew... three crew all total. Up on the moon, two of the crew were assigned to the science lab attached to the rover complex, with the remaining crew member cruising about on Minmus in the rover doing science. All went well, several trips doing science and such, the rover worked great. The mission's failure occurred on the trip back home to Kerbin, an unknown disaster for both support vessels during reentry. After hitting the atmosphere, nearing the end of descent, almost to the ground, the first returning vessel exploded for no reason. The second vessel did the same. One look at the pictures below should explain it for some of you... some weird glitch or something? I'm wondering if it had something to do with the fact that the crew upon return did not occupy the same vessel they arrived on??? That's the only thing I can think of that was unique to the flights.

The rover's science complex and rover (inspired by designs seen here in the forums)...

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]screenshot154.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]From Kerbal Stuff[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

The demise of the 2nd vessel...

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]screenshot226.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]screenshot227.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]screenshot228.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]screenshot231.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I have 0.24.2 installed, but I've not started using it yet, still busy with 0.23.5 lol... any ideas?

This one isn't so much a fail as it is a really close call, but I found it amusing enough that I think it's worth sharing: I finally finished my first career-mode manned Duna/Ike mission. I've made it there many times, but hadn't combined TAC Life Support, DR, NEAR, and funding yet. So, this was a big mission for me (I also wanted the IP ship to be reusable, so that was a new design as well). I assembled the mission in three launches, and the transfer, captures, docking maneuvers, etc. all went off without a hitch, despite the rather thin margins I gave everything (less than 10 units monoprop and 20 Kerbal days of supplies left at the end). By the end, I was sort of impatient, so I just launched a quick disposable rocket to pick up the crew from LKO and parachute back. Of course, at this point I almost lose the crew as the service module lands on a hill, and starts rolling down on its side. It reaches 35 m/s and destroys everything but the command pod before I saved it by turning SAS back on. After 2 years in space, almost done in by a hill...

I have no idea what Mechjeb's true intentions are. Sometimes, it flies my craft straight into the ocean. Sometimes, it just steers it northward (always north though, never south) but then changes its mind and trys to go east to orbit (but fails, because it burned all my fuel going north). Rarely it makes orbit but if it does, the inclination is always greater than 3 degrees. I don't know why it just can't follow the dang ascent profile... I am controlling from the mechjeb unit (which is positioned radially and upright) and my Jet engines aren't flaming out or provided asymmetric thrust. Mechjeb, its weird...

If your rocket has lot of drag in front mechjeb start of gravity turn can end up in a roll, solution is control surfaces and reaction wheels.

If your rocket has lot of drag in front mechjeb start of gravity turn can end up in a roll, solution is control surfaces and reaction wheels.

The thing is, all the drag is behind the center of mass and the rocket has plenty of reaction wheels (one 2.5 meter SAS unit for each of the boosters and one on the center core). In terms of the navball, When mechjeb turns over for the gravity turn, it doesn't pitch over perfectly, it moves slightly to the right. Then, mechjeb moves to the left and goes past the ascent guidance marker, then it moves right, then it banks hard to the left going completely north (or down into the ocean). Do you think the drag from the intakes could be causing this? The intakes are all behind the center of mass so the rocket should be stable.

Restarted with a slew of mods (TAC Life Support, Karbonite, MKS/OKS, ScanSat, RT2, Spaceplane Plus, Fine Print). First launch (suborbital): Flawless. Second launch (orbital): Flawless. Third, fourth, and fifth suborbital launches to fill contract requirements: all go off without a hitch.

Then I get overconfident, and send Bill to the Mun in a pitifully underdesigned and underpowered rocket and a bare minimum of life support supplies. It takes 4500 delta-V to achieve LKO, does it? Not if your rocket has a TWR of 1.02 in every stage and you forget it isn't a spaceplane when hand flying the launch. So when we get to Munar orbit, there isn't enough gas left in the landing stage to actually land. Oh, well, that's okay, we'll just borrow some fuel from the reascent/return stage. We'll still have enough, right?

Ooops. No matter how crazily I try to fly the reascent (through multiple reloads down to "clear the crater rim by about one meter"), Bill and I are exactly 30m/s short of getting home after depleting all the fuel and all the RCS fuel. Now Bill is in a highly eccentric Kerbin orbit with three days worth of oxygen. The net result of a rescue attempt seems likely to be the loss of two kerbals instead of one, so Bill bravely elects to trigger the Self-Destruct Charges.

Lesson learned: no more underdesigned craft; life support supplies for five times mission duration; plan abort modes for every mission phase and USE THEM. (Also, now I know it's possible to get into low Munar orbit for less than 200 delta-V, although it didn't help in the end.)

Today I was tooling about on Minmus with my latest DT Vista-powered KSPI ship. I tried to pick the ship up and move it to a more interesting landing site while Orlie was on EVA about 2 kilometers to the north. Takeoff with the Vista was fine, but rotating the engine to point away from my intended new landing site (and towards Orlie) was apparently not fine, because the engine immediately cut itself off, leaving me hanging sideways about 100 meters off the ground over Minmus. I didn't want to disable radiation safety and save the ship at the cost of Orlie's life, so I had no choice but to try my best to kill my fall with RCS and hardware-assisted lithobraking. The gravity isn't strong there by any means, but I hit the ground hard enough to rip the stack in half and strand both kerbals. At least they're both still alive...

With both my A-class & D-class reusables on indefinite hiatus due to killer bugs, I decided to go ahead with my heavy-lift F-class. 30-ish tons to münar orbit, 1100 tons on the pad, boosters & orbiter recoverable.

7pFdXkC.png

F-91, Astrea. Launch was perfect.

jHU4PxH.png

Staging was perfect.

AvnRaFe.png

Delivered a small payload consisting of a BoxSatâ„¢ and 30-ton test load JunkSat (full of scrap metal, political promises, & other useless things) to LKO, did some orbit changes to burn off fuel, then time to return two Kerbal days later.

GkY4DFF.png

Reentry was perfect, landing was looking good right up until the end. Apparently the guidance system isn't quite up to the challenge of landing a very top heavy 75 ton ship on her butt.

xToKykc.png

Or maybe it was the small incline. Anyway, this happened:

gaPnyhe.png

The abort system saved the pod & crew, but the rest of the ship is a total loss and took with it the bulk of my funds for Astrea's​ second launch, which was supposed to be my first manned Mün mission in this save.

Bill and I are exactly 30m/s short of getting home after depleting all the fuel and all the RCS fuel.

Seems like a good case for Get Out And Push. (Unless one of your mods kills off the infinite EVA Fuel thing). Also, I don't see Deadly Re-entry, so you could just spacewalk home, just make sure Bill lands on his head (in "ragdoll" mode)

Seems like a good case for Get Out And Push. (Unless one of your mods kills off the infinite EVA Fuel thing). Also, I don't see Deadly Re-entry, so you could just spacewalk home, just make sure Bill lands on his head (in "ragdoll" mode)

You wildly overestimate my EVA piloting skills. I did try this, but every attempt only ended up with Bill tumbling off into space out of control.

Wait a minute. You're saying he doesn't have to push the spaceship... he can just re-enter in his spacesuit and survive?!

Oh, and he face plants on the landing! The Russian judge is not pleased by that. That's gonna cost him! And the performance was going so well too.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Nope, you hit that right on the head. Guess that's what I get for naming it after a character who's naturally clumsy and, er, top... heavy....

Um, yeah shoulda seen that coming <facepalm>

Reentry was perfect, landing was looking good right up until the end. Apparently the guidance system isn't quite up to the challenge of landing a very top heavy 75 ton ship on her butt.

Always burns when you fail at the very last step, all those hours (and kerbalcoins) ...

A near disaster today. I was coming back from a mission to Minimus (with MEGA science), and was preparing to jettison the service module for Entry, when I suddenly noticed something missing. . .

PARACHUTES!!!!

So I hurriedly made rendezvous with my Science station (which took practically all my fuel). We'll get some sort of a rescue mission going shortly. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.