You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I was minding my own business, doing an EVA on Ike when suddenly the screen goes black. I quit the game, restarted, and came back to this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Bill and Bob are falling into Duna from 47,000km, Jeb and a whole bunch of science are gone, and I somehow got a flag on an escape trajectory out of the sun. I used the EVA packs to put Bill and Bob in a stable orbit and I'm going to send a rescue craft later.

Edited by KevinW42

I did go to space today... I just failed once I got there. I was building a space station and I sent 4 solar arrays up to meet it. Each solar array consisted 2 modular girders, a modular girder adapter, docking port, 4 Gigantor and 6 large radial batteries. The 4 solar arrays were strapped to the Stack Quad adapter and I was to use my tug to reposition them. I got this expensive beast up to the station and.... I forgot to put decouplers, there was no way to remove them from the stack adapter. The docking ports were on the other end for easy attachment to the station and the girders were directly attached to the quad adapter.

So I went to all the trouble of sending up a simple inexpensive ship to recover them, since the delivery vehicle didn't have parachutes, to regain some of the funds (that was one expensive assembly there) and sent up a new one with decouplers and docked at the station. I proceeded to refill my nearing empty tug with mono propellant and while waiting on that I elbowed the space bar. So now 3 of my solar arrays were just floating away.

Fortunately my tug had a claw on it so all was not lost, but for a while I felt like that station did not want power.

Edited by Alshain

I was going to space just fine...

Then all of the sudden, the probe core just "stopped moving".

6l0zXKi.jpg

And tore my spacecraft apart.

kQutTGw.jpg

It seems to be "stuck" in space. It says I'm going 690.3 m/s but in reality I'm not going anywhere. Also I can't time-warp because the craft is apparently "under acceleration".

Edited by Stratzenblitz75

I was going to space just fine...

Then all of the sudden, the probe core just "stopped moving".

http://i.imgur.com/6l0zXKi.jpg

And tore my spacecraft apart.

http://i.imgur.com/kQutTGw.jpg

It seems to be "stuck" in space. It says I'm going 690.3 m/s but in reality I'm not going anywhere. Also I can't time-warp because the craft is apparently "under acceleration".

You have posted in the wrong thread. I believe the one you're looking for is "Space will not go to you today". :D

(totally joking btw, in case anybody thinks I'm trying to be an armchair mod or something)

I wanted to land on the Mun, so decided to use the stock 2-stage lander. I loaded it, and brought in my (component) heavy lifter. They wouldn't mate, even after I added a docking port.

So I built the stock lander upside down by hand, imported my heavy lifter (a pretty generic asparagus with 3-man pod) as a component, mated the empty lander, and off I went.

Couldn't get to orbit.

Took 10 minutes to realise that the lander can was Kerb-orientated and that I was flying from there, not the 3-man pod.

Having figured that out, launch, orbit and transfer were fine.

Transferred two Kerbals to it for landing. 1500ft from the surface of Mun, I lowered the landing gear.

Yeah, I forgot to rotate the gear in the VAB. Landed on my engines.

As with eataTREE below, it did manage to land and stay upright - and even take off again - but it was...a little tense.

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by Frannington

On a mission to Duna, I had a two part landing stage. One part was a probe (playing with remote tech made this interesting) and had the habitation module with TAC life support. The other was the crew Lander. Around my approach I passed rather close to Ike and made in for my landing zone. Detached the habitation module and descended as planned (also note I don't play with mechJeb) it was when I was landing the crew capsule under drogue chute that I noticed it didn't have any landing gear and that I didn't calculate my fuel. Rather gracefully it smashed into hill. Rolled. Slid. Lost electrical power. Rolled some more. Bounced exploded again before slamming into the habitation module and sending it for a tumble. At the end of the 15 minutes of death and destruction all I had was a very small TAC pod. And my 3 kerbals.

Rescue mission was initially a success until an unlucky comm sat met its unfortunate demise with my command pod at about 78,000m. The comm sat lost communication with the probe on duna and when it finally regained contact with the kerbals on the surface had perished.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.