You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

No I will not go to space today.

http://i.imgur.com/9ikcBLb.png

This kethane and ore miner fall apart on launchpad

No idea that is wrong with it, might be some parts who is clipped inside it.

Probably have to rip it apart and rebuild it.

try putting launch struts onto it. If one pieces is sitting too low and intersects the landing pad (KABOOM)

try putting launch struts onto it. If one pieces is sitting too low and intersects the landing pad (KABOOM)

Already strutted far more than normall in 0.235

The big 3.75 m tank is bottom.

Worse, a redesign did not help.

Now its stable on the landing leggs but fear it will break up on landing

Already strutted far more than normall in 0.235

The big 3.75 m tank is bottom.

Worse, a redesign did not help.

Now its stable on the landing leggs but fear it will break up on landing

is it strutted to the launch pad though? with the launch support thingies? because if its not, it may clip the launch pad and go boom.

Today the press was treated to an unexpected show. They came to see a launch, but got a dinner show instead. For some reason best left in the timeless darkness of ignorance, Jeb had a soundtrack ready to play over the facility PA for just such an event...

♪♪

Be our guest

Be our guest

Put the boosters to the test

Though the parachutes were early it turned out to be for best.

Shoot them high

Watch 'em fly

See the flames light up the sky

It's the show you weren't expecting, while the launch profile's rejecting.

No ship is second best

But this one failed the test

So be our guest

Be our guest

Be our gueeeeeeeeest!

♪♪

http://i.imgur.com/CmYLk5w.png

:D

oooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

only a couple of days early actually:cool:

is it strutted to the launch pad though? with the launch support thingies? because if its not, it may clip the launch pad and go boom.

No launch support and yes the clipping with pad might explain why it breaks up as its no good reason.

Will try it and see how it works out.

yes that one was weird.

who is the two engines on stage three?

I see one poodle and the four engines on the lander in stage 2.

Beats me. On the launchpad the entire launcher subassembly got duplicated right below the actual rocket, but with a weird "gap" between the real rocket and the bogus one.

It was an exact copy of the booster up to stage 3, each stage contained the "right" engines and decouplers as well as the "doubled" ones. Unluckily, I didn't think to get a screenshot.

A few seconds after liftoff, the rest of the glitchy booster has been burnt away by the exhausts, but the last stage was like indestructible, and kept dangling under the rocket as it was leashed to it.... So I manually switched on the poodle. The engine not running in S3 is the poodle of the real S3, still in its interstage fairing.

I got it in LKO but I wasted too much dV dragging all the junk around during ascent, so I aborted the mission and got the crew home early (and Bob found his wife in bed with Billy-Bobdas... "Oh dear my husband! Wasn't he going on Minimus?")

I was just flying around in a plane having fun.

I landed and took off again except I accidentally clipped off the outer part of the wing, engine and landing gear too

I actually managed to stabilise the craft by lowering thrust on the other engine

during the final emergency landing I lost another engine but otherwise it went pretty well

eS6AcbP.jpg

never a good idea to have a match style lander, it's too narrow and tall, so easy to tip over. 4 Rockomax X200-8 strapped around another one is better. You will be able to ditch the radial fuel tank 2 by 2 (asparagus) to maximize your efficiency and have a flat and wide little lander :)

ok, so I've got a few launch windows to Duna/Eve/etc... all coming up in a few weeks of my current career save. I don't currently have enough science to send off manned missions that have a hope of returning from anything but the moons, and even then it might get iffy, however.... current tech levels are enough for me to send a bunch of satellites out to get some science from these worlds transmitted back, and their moons. So I spent an hour or so getting multiple missions up into orbit, and getting the final one launched. Now my current first stage lifter has a MINOR problem, the central engine likes to overheat to the point of exploding. Not a problem, so long as I keep track of it. However I'm in a bit of a rush in RL, so I send this thing up into the first window I have for kerbin orbit (currently have 5 probe missions all in equalatoral orbit, 99.9% perfect of better on their orbits, 2 missions actually have a 1-1.5km variance in their orbital distance, but were on the opposite ends of the planet initially. Like I said, I launched into the first available launch window, everything is going fine and I go to full power so I can finish circulizing my orbit. Check the map real quick and see that one or two of the probes are about to get in the way of this new one, however if I keep the engines running, no problem. Unfortunately in this excitement, I forgot something...specifically the engine running at 100%.......BOOOM!!!! and there goes the main engine on the booster for probe #6. Crap switch out of map view quick eject the fuel tank and start the next engine burning....and probe 6 is out of the path of probe 3......unfortunately the fuel tank I just ejected wasn't. Probe 3 has just lost three of it's solar panels, and half of it's engines/tanks all of which are now flying free into a slightly ascending orbit. Now remember the two probes that I had orbiting within 1-1.5km orbital distance....well the lower one was Probe 3....and look one piece of Probe 3 has just ascended into the orbit of Probe 2.......CRAP. So yeah, instead of having 6 probe missions in stable equalatoral orbits, I now have 3, and about 4 dozen pieces in unstable orbits.....so, I see that I can actually still revert this flight and avoid all this crap. So I decide to do a quicksave so that I can go ahead and reload this later on this week when I really have time to play with this orbital mess, and revert my flight. Now the quicksave is renamed and I will try to relaunch probe #6 another day...Yeah, I did get into space today, but did not get my intended missions out of orbit today. And actually looking forward to this weekend where I can play around with my mini-kessler syndrome currently covering 90-140km orbits roughly.

Though that is an idea for a challenge. Send a bunch of LARGE vessels that aside from the boosters are just large masses of parts and varied strength decouplers. Send up say 5-10 of these things into equalatoral orbits and then set off the decouplers, some with the ship oriented towards the poles, some with the ship oriented along the equator, and some vertically. Anyone else think that would be a nice multipart challenge. Challenge 1, Get ships safely into orbit. Challenge 2 Get a mission to the Mun and Minimus (can be separate missions). Challenge 3 Set up a space station in a survivable orbit. Challenge 4 use tugs from the station to clean up/dispose of the debris (you must either bring it back to the station or deorbit it to 'vaporize' the debris from mission control, and the tugs, unless crippled beyond repair/capabality to return to station, can not be deorbited to clear the debris) to a point where you have safe windows in equalatoral orbit again (or manage to clean up at least a third of the debris) Final challenge would be to remove ALL of the debris from your orbits (both from the 'accident' and from your launches) Anyone else think that might be a fun challenge?

I set out to land on the Joolian muns for the first time a while ago. I don't think I really knew what I was getting into. Sort of underestimated Tylo... Here are a series of attempts to land on Tylo, with its mighty 1g of surface gravity.

This is part of my Jool mission in my sig, but a couple of muns ahead of my mission reports. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Edited by Soda Popinski

Man, i just made the same experience. I was able to pull back up and reach orbit on the last drops of fuel... Tylo is a beast. Hopefully, i have cracked the design flaws in the lander now. Godspeed!

Yeah, Tylo will surprise you, if you're not ready for it. Surface gravity is 0.8 G, and even though it's airless, it's similar to trying to do powered landings on Kerbin. Expect to use 6 km/s of dV just to land and get back up to a low orbit.

Man, i just made the same experience. I was able to pull back up and reach orbit on the last drops of fuel... Tylo is a beast. Hopefully, i have cracked the design flaws in the lander now. Godspeed!

Heh. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this design. I'm in the middle of a long Joolian mission, and have hit all the other muns. I'm not going to start from scratch.

Yeah, Tylo will surprise you, if you're not ready for it. Surface gravity is 0.8 G, and even though it's airless, it's similar to trying to do powered landings on Kerbin. Expect to use 6 km/s of dV just to land and get back up to a low orbit.

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought it was 1G. Probably because it's the same size as Kerbin, but obviously not the same density. Anyway, that is a bit of a design flaw of my lander. I designed it to have enough delta-V to get off every mun in the Joolian system. What I DIDN'T do was design it to BOTH land and launch into orbit. Don't worry, I have a plan.

Edited by Soda Popinski

i was working on an experiment in a new sandbox to see if I could create kessler syndrom. I had already gotten 2 launches completed, with an 8 times symmetry radial decoupler setup with with 14 stages. I have 240 decouplers in a stable 150x150km orbit headed west. I WAS in the middle of my THIRD launch of the same type, mid gravity turn when guess what. the computer decided: HEY, lets RESTART AND INSTALL UPDATES AND NOT TELL THE MEATSACK RUNNIN ME! stupid computer.

i was working on an experiment in a new sandbox to see if I could create kessler syndrom. I had already gotten 2 launches completed, with an 8 times symmetry radial decoupler setup with with 14 stages. I have 240 decouplers in a stable 150x150km orbit headed west. I WAS in the middle of my THIRD launch of the same type, mid gravity turn when guess what. the computer decided: HEY, lets RESTART AND INSTALL UPDATES AND NOT TELL THE MEATSACK RUNNIN ME! stupid computer.

Turning that crap off is on my list of things I do whenever I get a new install of Windows.

Along with installing Avast, Chrome, Gnu utils, and setting up my preferred keyboard shortcuts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.