You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Heh. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this design. I'm in the middle of a long Joolian mission, and have hit all the other muns. I'm not going to start from scratch.

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought it was 1G. Probably because it's the same size as Kerbin, but obviously not the same density. Anyway, that is a bit of a design flaw of my lander. I designed it to have enough delta-V to get off every mun in the Joolian system. What I DIDN'T do was design it to BOTH land and launch into orbit. Don't worry, I have a plan.

I was on a Jool Grand Tour myself, but the lander had about 4k of dV, so there was no chance to try anything. I now have 6.5k dV lander and will give it another try when .24 is out.

And Godspeed to you. May your plan work!

yeah, had posted this originally over in What did you do today thread, and decided to post a link to it here, and my current update to it (ie more fail) :)

yeahhhh, having a few design flaws with my mega refueler, seems that it might be a little too heavy for the couplings to handle, first launch attempt, the refueling section somehow detacted from the transfer section (no pics) slight redesing of the coupling there, and 2nd launch attempt..............why did that fuselage adapter just turn 90 degrees. Here's a pic of the results while still in flight...or rather while the rest of it was still in flight.

http://i.imgur.com/W1idC1O.png

well, time to go inspect the launchpad and make sure it's clear still.

*edited* attempted a second launch just so you could see what happened

http://i.imgur.com/l3xHdbO.png

ok, finally got this thing to the point where it doesn't selfdestruct within a minute of takeoff(tested, and have some nice debris fields around kerbin because of it) and had just done the final touches to a few additional boosters (struts) when I realized that I had not mirrored the placement of the struts.......*sigh* reload the rocket again.

Not really a fail on my part so much as the games, I'm working on the noobs of Jool right now, I sent up a mothership with three landers attached. Detached them and sent them to near orbits of thee moons and decided to take a break cause let's face it getting to Jool can take a while. When I came back my three landers were still there but the mothership was gone. The pilot and crew on it were back on the ground and I wasn't even able to find any of the staging debris. It just plain disappeared. Everything else is there. If you've wet launched something that's multiple hundred parts on a DUAL CORE. You can see why this is frustrating. Not to mention I was left with three kerbals basically stranded in the Degoba system with Yoda nowhere to be found.

i was working on an experiment in a new sandbox to see if I could create kessler syndrom. I had already gotten 2 launches completed, with an 8 times symmetry radial decoupler setup with with 14 stages. I have 240 decouplers in a stable 150x150km orbit headed west. I WAS in the middle of my THIRD launch of the same type, mid gravity turn when guess what. the computer decided: HEY, lets RESTART AND INSTALL UPDATES AND NOT TELL THE MEATSACK RUNNIN ME! stupid computer.

To make a really good kessler syndrome, you need to employ hyper editing to get the 'kessler bomb' into orbit.

Here's mine

rbHGGFD.png

after partial deployment

W7W9MD6.png

ok, at this point had to go back to the space center and time warp a few hours as I was getting a lot of object lag.

fast foward 4 hrs, and we're back after final deployment

W6lwaWl.png

Look at the total debris field after deployment, and 5 hrs after launch

vYJ72q6.png

and here's what it all looks like after 2 months of gametime

8vCZPnw.png

Now I think the game can only handle tracking so many debris pieces, that thing had about 2k of parts, however the game is only tracking 232 pieces of debris, so either the game deleted more than a few pieces, or there's lot of debris up there, not being tracked.

And now I believe this quote portrays how I felt when I thought about doing this.

Preed "Goone......what is that?"

Goone " I don't know...I built it in my sleep

I filled it with gintoblack

I put a button on it!!!!

I want to push it, I want to push it!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, yeah, I pushed the button. :)

So... I'm in re-entry and a few moments before, I ditched my service module... I get this brilliant idea to deploy my drogue shutes... (from the docking ports on the SDHI Command Service Module mod) and I'm complacently watching the pod go through the atmosphere cause I've done this sooooo many times before. That's when the service module I just ditched comes in and smashes the command pod I was watching... so complacently... So confident I did nothing wrong...... This was a few days ago and while I feel a little bad... I forgot the names of the poor Kerbals I doomed.... I am a bad man Charlie Brown.

Started a new career mode today to get me used to using smaller rockets (rather than Space Shuttles and Saturn V's :P) in preparation for .24. Got up to where I was ready for my first Munar flyby, and I ended up having a break-up mid flight.

One of the SRB's snapped off of it decoupler at ~10km and it rammed right into the rocket. Luckily though, some science did come out of it as the two Materials bay and my thermoter survived the break up. What could have been a several hundred science mission left me with only 45, but it was enough to get a node.

So, no space, but success!

So... I'm in re-entry and a few moments before, I ditched my service module... I get this brilliant idea to deploy my drogue shutes... (from the docking ports on the SDHI Command Service Module mod) and I'm complacently watching the pod go through the atmosphere cause I've done this sooooo many times before. That's when the service module I just ditched comes in and smashes the command pod I was watching... so complacently... So confident I did nothing wrong...... This was a few days ago and while I feel a little bad... I forgot the names of the poor Kerbals I doomed.... I am a bad man Charlie Brown.

done that once or twice myself. If I'm ever hauling a detachable stage still as I'm coming in, I always always make sure my command stage is pointed up, chutes released (if not always fully deployed) then I release the last section/sections

My suggestion is to point your ship towards normal or antinormal (in an equatorial trajectory that's north-south) when decoupling the service module. That way there's virtually no risk of differing drag bringing it back to hit you.

i rotate my ship to fling ejected parts away on re-entry. though having the last stage wiz by as your burning up makes you feel epic

i rotate my ship to fling ejected parts away on re-entry. though having the last stage wiz by as your burning up makes you feel epic

If only there was some small solid fuel device that was designed to pull booster stages away from the main craft ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After my successes (with minor problems (losing 1-2 solar panels)) of my multi probe rockets to duna/eve, I've gone ahead and scaled up for a Jool mission, 5 orbital mapping probes, 8 mini probes for landing attempts (yeah 1-2 will go into Jool just because) and scale up of engine thrust to accomadate. Now, I used essentially the same design for eve/duna, 2 probes, and exact same rocket design, which including all the parts (probes included) was about 80% rocket parts, 20% struts, this Jool monster is now roughly 40% rocket parts, 60% struts, and the thing still folds in half within 90 seconds (compared to initial launch of 12 seconds). So yeah, time to install the kerbal joint reinforcement mod

well, Kerbal joint reinforcement mod did the trick, and my Mega Jool mission is underway........why are the orbitable sats and the 1 mini lander they are paired to facing engine to engine...... *sigh* looks like the transfer ship is going to visit all of the planetary bodies inside the Jool SOI. (In case you didn't figure it out, one mini lander was supposed to ride each orbitable sat to rendevous with each planetary satelite)

Update to my ongoing Jool mission, turns out all my mini landers, their probe core is on UPSIDE DOWN......so no guidance help whatsoever using them....manual control all the way......JOY.....NOT!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.