You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

It was going to be a grand exploration, eight little buggies designed to comb the face of Duna looking for anything interesting:

7BsvcWY.png

GrHvPgc.jpg

The first, remarkably, it turned out, landed upright:

TV25HaV.png

But was shortly thereafter doomed by the poor driving skills of a man who thought he had seven in reserve. Oh no...

fsSrXuP.png

tMxZCL7.jpg

jlVbmaJ.jpg

I3ikQZu.png

I could go on.

suffice to say, having learned hard lessons from this failure, this time we're going back with a more complicated, Manned mission...

I just got a probe on an intercept course with Duna - it would be the first landing on my way to becoming a grandmaster. So, I was just about to do the final maneuvers to get ready for an aerobraking, when I noticed that my probe had run out of power. It saile past Duna at 30.000.000 km.

I had a rover on Duna and has been there for several in game years. I was occasionally driving towards a Mare. After what seemed like forever I was Less than 500 meters away from the end of the incline, when suddenly my rover did a front flip and bounced about, destroying itself with out ever reaching its destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to go to the Mun for the 476th time. This time with a really crappy rocket and a nice lander.

hbizwST.png

Launch 1.

Not enough thrust to get up and a failed abort sequence.

r59rMvd.png

Launch 2.

Failed abort sequence.

QwXH4yH.png

Launch 3 and 4.

Not enough seprotrons, causing the SRBs to hit the mainsails.

fm5fXra.png

At least nobody died!

I have no idea what happened.

AW60HFr.png

Post crash data:

akdWqcx.png

Structural failure at 00:00:13 and 00:01:07 MET hmm...

Collision at 00:01:56 and total disintegration at 00:01:57. The loose fuel tank collided with the rocket during the pitch-over maneuver.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Le upgrades the drive unit of my moon shuttle:

• Send up the new tug (drive unit)
  • Rendezvous with old tug
  • Decouple crew quarters from old tug, dock with new tug
  • Decouple lander from old tug, dock with new tug. Feeling really smug about how my docking capabilities have improved as I have to scoot the lander in between the engines in order to dock with the bottom of the tug.
  • Do a de-orbit burn with the old tug

Cool! Lets test with a quick minmus mission!

• While the old tug is in that 30m deorbit, trajectory
  • Send up crew shuttle
  • Rendezvous with revised moon lander in stable 300km parking orbit (it's less crowded out there)
  • "Hey Jeb?"
  • "Yes, Bob?"
  • Didn't they upgrade the drive unit of the moon shuttle?
  • "Yes, why"
  • "Because it looks just like the older 2-engine model. Oh, and the crew quarters and lander are missing"

Yes. I sent the new unit back to the surface. And discovered that 30 minutes after the deorbit burn... The joys of performing maneuvers in map mode!

Might have posted this somewhere else, but once I was playing around with the Mission Controller Extended mod by malkuth. To cut costs, I went without MechJeb on the Munar Orbit/Return Mission. Everything worked great until I got to the point where I needed to head back home. I guess in my unbelievable astonishment at my first manual Mun insertion, I had forgotten to put static solar panels on every side of my probe body. It went dead literally seconds before I started my escape burn. I had to wait ten minutes real time at only 100X Time Warp for the Sun to swing around. It did eventually, and I got juiced up and immediately fired prograde for Kerbin. Kerbin capture and aerobraking went well (hard to mess that up, really), and I was overjoyed...until I realized it was night, and I couldn't deploy my parachute. ;.;

I have 2 fails. One was silly and consequence free, the other really burns my wazoo and mucked up a fair bit.

First the silly.

I use Subassembly loader and the Zenith launch family. Both are instrumental in my space program because I don't use maths to see what I need my rocket to do.

I was moving the launcher into place to send a certain part up to my station, when this happened.

screenshot55_zpsdcae824e.png

Kinda hard to see, but I had part clipping on, and the launcher caught on the nodes for my Procedural Fairings base. In the spirit of the game, I decided, "Nerts to it, I'll launch it!"

screenshot56_zps9286c875.png

Ascent looked pretty good, some issues with the fuel ducts, but still kinda fun. On a whim I pressed the stage button.

screenshot57_zpsc68ba1ac.png

The game froze for 10 seconds, and then showed me this. Not sure of where my rocket went, I zoomed out to see the cloud.

screenshot59_zps508c8b4f.png

That was partway through the dispersal of debris. A significant amount of it has already left the 2.5km radius.

Worth it.

The infuriating fail (I was too irked to get screenshots) was when I got that rocket into orbit, and was in the process of moving the parts on to my station. Nothing too complex, just a pair of scaffolding bits that would connect some smaller fuel tanks to the main fuel module on the station. I had just docked the second and final part into place, when the reaction wheels started flipping the farq out. I did not have SAS engaged, nor did I input any sort of attitude adjustment for the station, it just started spinning on all axis. Time acceleration helped after using it 5 times, and when it DID stop, I noticed that one of the new parts was floating That-ta-way. I thought "No big deal, I'll quicksave and go get it to put it back on. Nope. It ripped the docking port that was attached to the station off with it. I couldn't even move it back to the delivery vehicle to redock it with that, because somehow its attitude was locked. I could not rotate it in any direction. It had no reaction wheels, probes, or RCS ports at all, PhysX just decided that "Wherever it faces, there shall it stay!" So NOW i have to clean out the debris to negate the nav hazards, remove the old fuel tank, which doesn't have a rear facing docking port, (KAS Here I come!), redesign the entire fuel side of the depot, and somehow get it back into orbit.

Wonderfundle.

Edited by Pyromaniacal
Grammar mistakes. Oops.

I have a lifting craft (sorry, no screenshots) which managed to lift a 50ton space station into orbit. The same craft exploded on the launchpad with a 5ton orbital tug on top??!!! WHY is it always the simple things that skrew you over!!!

Probably the biggest failure I have done in my save is a incident with my space station. I finally launched the station core up and had a lot of mods on it. The one that caused my catastrophic failure was the B9 pack. I opened the shielded docking platform from this wonderful pack from EVA and my ship began spinning. Not a casual spinning like around 50 m/s spinning. Bill quickly got out from the area s the ship reached greater speeds. Bill was later hit by a solar panel and was flung 70 meters away. I quickly reverted flight and restarted and edited the shielded docking ports so they didn't cause catastrophic disasters. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.