[WIP][1.1.3] Large Structural/Station Components [Image Heavy]

• 2 weeks later...
Several actually. Mainly that it does not play nice with something else I have installed. I tried to get it resolved but was told it works for modfuel, deadly re-entry, and ioncross so it must work good, and to uninstall my other mods....

Honestly i dont find it so hard editing configs...and if they are stock make a copy, not a big deal. Also as far as time is concerned some simple scripting and you can mostly automate the process.

I just really hope this mods lifesupport does not require ModManager. Use it, thats fine, lots of people seem to like the mod, but for love of god DONT make it required. Even something as simple as tossing in seperate configs so people like me can change things over as they see fit woould be a great solution (something Ive also suggested to deadly-reentry and ioncross to seemingly no avail).

Why not just make your own configs then? And what is it that it's not playing nice with? I'm sort of befuddled by all this, it seems like you're telling me I (and probably a number of others) need to go learn scripting so that you don't have to do it.

Why not just make your own configs then? And what is it that it's not playing nice with? I'm sort of befuddled by all this, it seems like you're telling me I (and probably a number of others) need to go learn scripting so that you don't have to do it.

I doubt that was Khaos's intention and I doubt he was trying to tell anyone to do anything. Merely sharing his process and opinion. You are misinterpreting his post I think. :)

I'm don't want to read overly much into it, I know he's just trying to deal with technical issues on his end. It's not that I'm trying to start more internet yelling matches, but until now I've been able to regard module manager as a flawless victory. Despite having a silly number of mods installed I've only ever had one issue with MM, which was the now fixed conflict with the B9 pack. It not only allows me to make drastic and numerous changes to both the base game and other mods without ever having to open a .cfg, but I can remove those changes just as easily and without ever having to worry about restoring backup copies to a dozen different folders. And on top of all that it's so understandable that even I can use it. I've added Ion Cross to every manned capsule, and almost all my bell and whistle mods like TAC fuel manager and Chatterer are integrated into my command pods and it's glorious.

In short I'm very interested in what conflict he's having, because I've been trumpeting mod manager as the gold standard and if there's a reason I shouldn't be then it'd be negligent of me to ignore it.

;.; Ok after finally taking a look at Deadly Reentry I see what Khaos is talking about. Its not about how convenient Module Manager is for those who use it. For those of us who are well versed in editing cfg's and prefer the freedom of managing our files ourselves - Deadly Reentry is completely unusable. It's too bad as I was planning to add that mod to my game. There is no way I can see to edit the files yourself. Please do not setup this mod that way! Using Module Manager should be optional not mandatory.

;.; Ok after finally taking a look at Deadly Reentry I see what Khaos is talking about. Its not about how convenient Module Manager is for those who use it. For those of us who are well versed in editing cfg's and prefer the freedom of managing our files ourselves - Deadly Reentry is completely unusable. It's too bad as I was planning to add that mod to my game. There is no way I can see to edit the files yourself. Please do not setup this mod that way! Using Module Manager should be optional not mandatory.

Use of ModuleManager is never mandatory even if the mod relies on it. There should be a cfg file with the edits that will be applied by Module Manager. You can easily edit that file and make whatever changes you want, or you can go apply those changes yourself (and delete the cfg and Module Manager's DLL).

I personally love Module Manager, not for my own mods (which don't actually use it yet), but for tweaking others' mods to my liking. I can easily add a mod's functionality to other parts (like those from other mods), or tweak the numbers used by a mod. My changes are kept separate, so it is easier to manage my changes and it is easier to update their mod to a newer version.

@KhaosCorp -- I am curious and would like to know what is causing an incompatibility with Module Manager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice work, keep it coming!!!

My thoughts:

- to many kerbals in one standard tank - 8 is crowded;

- the files for each part are large ~5-6mb/part - since i install this mod, the time to open a craft in VAB has increased quit a bit;

- some files are not where are supposed to be - corridor-B has some .mbm from corridor-D and corridor-D has some .mbm from corridor-B - need to be swapped

Related to the development of new parts I would suggest a T-shaped hub.

• 1 month later...

First, thanks for the mod, the 2.5m connector is great. I'm relatively new to KSP and usually go big or go home, so I need some help with your mod. I'm in the process of building a rather large interplanetary vessel with a space station that is completely reusable and self-refueling (no hydroponics, recycling systems etc... yet) with Kethane which is new since the last time I tried this in .19 and couldn't get fuel to crossfeed correctly so gave up after building a massive ship that worked great up until it ran out of fuel since the whole center was like 16 orange tanks. Even as is it made Jool just couldn't activate fuel for return trip.

SO I wanted to do a grand tour of the Solar System thanks to Kethane. My tug configuration has about 9k DV and after adding all of this still has about .5 TWR. My problem is the crew quarters/mining station. I can't get your parts to stay connected. Even using heavy struts they still break even on the pad as if they aren't connected to begin with. I can fly as such but driving me nuts. I'll post a screenshot, please keep in mind this portion is a work in progress.

q8vr.jpg

Can anyone help or give advice as to what I need to edit, update to make a circular habitat ring with this mod? The idea is to not only have a symmetrical platform but that the Kerbals have plenty of room to exercise, view the stars and hopefully someday when the mod supports it do IVAs which would be great. <-- This is why I want to make sure they are actually connected and not simply held together by struts. They are fine until they impact something, i.e switch from support struts to landing gear in prep for takeoff, and then one section, usually the corner will come apart.

There's no way to build a circular construct in the VAB and have all end points connected. This is a limitation of the game and how it builds the hierarchy of the vessel's parts. There is the ability to use what is being called "welds" to build a circular part outside of the VAB.

BTW - This mod appears dead. The creator hasn't been active in a long long time so I wouldn't get my hopes up on IVA's.

Good luck UKD, hope it goes well. In the meantime, anyone with coding ability want to do a hotfix/tech tree compatibility update?

Here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64621786/udk_lethal_d0se.zip

Drop on top of your existing install, it only contains the updated configs. Obviously make backups, not responsible for kracken visits, etc.

I stuck most of the items under the Tier6 Heavier Rocketry, but the RTG and batteries into what I felt was the appropriate tier 7 & 8 electronics categories.

You'll need to wait for udk_lethal_d0se to get back and make an "official" .22 version.

Edited by Chaosratt
Derp'd a word.

• 3 weeks later...
Amazing mod, you're an amazing modder. One problem- How do you get Kerbals in and out of the Abode? How do you use the asiles and corridors?

Hey, at the time of creation; Crew Manifest was the only way to transfer crew between parts. As the mod itself pre-dates the game update that allows you to allocate crew to parts in the VAB, I had no need to create anything different. In fact, early on in the development process, I had hinted that user would require the Crew Manifest plugin/modification.

I'm sure that once I graduate, I will have time to finish off/alter this modification to how I had envisaged. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.