[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

That's true, survivabilty depends on g force and exposure time, sorta like exposure to radiation.

Here's an (average person) graph of survivability, as you can see it depends at what direction the force acts

g-force-graph.png

(the full article)

it would be very nice to include it! The red bar is more like "warning high g".

Only.. wouldn't it be "deadly everything" not just "reentry"?? xD

Having experienced peak 8.8g for 13 frames (can't remember the frames / sec conversion anymore) I can tell you emphatically, no one wants to experience more than about 9g's :)

Also, not meaning to hijack the thread for non-Deadly Reentry stuff, I'm DL'ing the mod now and I'll post my test results ASAP

Edited by Conarr

Wow, so a human can sustain 10g's for about 90 seconds in a reentry capsule type sitting potition (eyes in). Surely that means that Jeb could take like 15g's for forever :) I have seen how his head bounces undamaged.

Having experienced peak 8.8g for 13 frames (can't remember the frames / sec conversion anymore) I can tell you emphatically, no one wants to experience more than about 9g's :)

There's a huge difference between "willing to" and "have to". Plus, I'm pretty sure you're not as trained as an astronaut.

If Conarr has been at 8.8g I'm sure he's been trained at something. Max I've ever been at is 4.5g and that's from one of the top 5 coasters in the world.

I've already been at about 6g on an attraction in my local fair

Soon or Soonâ„¢?

REAL SOON.

Like, I have a job interview to go to, and then when I get home I have two minor bugs to fix, and then you get to watch everything catch on fire.

REAL SOON.

Like, I have a job interview to go to, and then when I get home I have two minor bugs to fix, and then you get to watch everything catch on fire.

Good luck :)

I hope it wasn't my video you were talking about. The first part of the video was doing a comparison of the old version (that didn't work properly) then the new version that works much better. I also don't think that the high altitude deceleration you are talking about in the video is KSP relative. The Apollo capsule hits the dense atmosphere then raises back up; that is not the same as setting a high PE and decelerating in the thin atmosphere. The video indicates they get to 2.5g before pulling up. In KSP if you hit 2.5g you have pretty much stopped already.

I do think though that the atmospheric model is still not 100% even with FAR. But with deadly reentry 2, at least the reentry effects are modeled quite well based on the imperfect atmosphere.

Ok, so, it's been stated that I should not post late at night and tired.

That being said, it's kind of an engineer's pipe dream in terms of reentry to do as much of your deceleration in the upper atmosphere where you hardly notice the reentry effects. An example of this is the proposed skylon craft, because of it's exceptionally low density in relation to it's surface area, it would only need minimal active cooling on certain key points along it's leading surfaces to survive reentry with what is otherwise a fairly standard skin. Another good example (though not from orbital speeds) is spaceships one and two from virgin galactic. They have nothing more special than paint and carbon composite as their pressure hull, main hull, and skin all combined into one, and it's hardly scorched on reentry. The way I understood it was that the skip in the apollo reentry profile was to spend as much time in the upper atmosphere as possible, only hitting higher temperatures and g-forces when they couldn't avoid it. When you watch the video, remember that altitude is rather exaggerated, the actual flight path is much shallower in reality. (look at when they give an overview of the whole flight, and notice that they've drawn the atmosphere as a good 1/3 the thickness of the whole planet, if that isn't exaggerated I don't know what is)

On a related note, a possible solution to the whole "max g-force" issue would be to have the ablative coating be a subpart that wraps around the spacecraft. If too much force is exerted on it it'd crack and break off much in the same way solar panels shatter during reentry. That combined with making the connection to the pod extra weak (if it's an attachable shield, though that'd probably be best considering the different reentry scenarios one may encounter) would cause your craft to actually break apart if it over-Gs.

Or better yet, how about a deadly acceleration mod? right tool for the job and all :P

That honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea. The mod could be quite simple - for unmanned craft, acceleration might not due much until it gets structurally damaging, but for manned craft, the screen could slowly go black for high G's (black out), and then the crew might be unable to control the ship or die if they take too many G's for too long.

Ok, so, it's been stated that I should not post late at night and tired.

That being said, it's kind of an engineer's pipe dream in terms of reentry to do as much of your deceleration in the upper atmosphere where you hardly notice the reentry effects. An example of this is the proposed skylon craft, because of it's exceptionally low density in relation to it's surface area, it would only need minimal active cooling on certain key points along it's leading surfaces to survive reentry with what is otherwise a fairly standard skin. Another good example (though not from orbital speeds) is spaceships one and two from virgin galactic. They have nothing more special than paint and carbon composite as their pressure hull, main hull, and skin all combined into one, and it's hardly scorched on reentry. The way I understood it was that the skip in the apollo reentry profile was to spend as much time in the upper atmosphere as possible, only hitting higher temperatures and g-forces when they couldn't avoid it. When you watch the video, remember that altitude is rather exaggerated, the actual flight path is much shallower in reality. (look at when they give an overview of the whole flight, and notice that they've drawn the atmosphere as a good 1/3 the thickness of the whole planet, if that isn't exaggerated I don't know what is)

PakledHostage has put together a really good chart here that shows how real reentry corridors work (modeled for KSP). If you hit the atmosphere too shallow you burn up due to excessive heat damage.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31665-About-planned-re-entry-heating/page3

At least assuming you have sufficient speed to actually cause the damage. Space Ship One never gets to orbital velocity so it has only like 1/100th of the energy to absorb. As for the skylon proposal - i believe it has huge surface area compared to its mass and kind of 'cheats' the reentry corridor to be much wider. The apollo used a lifting capsule to hit the thick atmosphere and then while still decelerating move up to lessen the g load. They were still decelerating from like 10 km/s at much greater than 1 g for quite a long period - something that is not possible in KSP until you hit like 30km.

I am actually looking to see if there is a way in FAR to add aerodynamic lift to a capsule without messing it up completely for takeoff. If possible that should make for some really cool reentry.

Now I can't wait for RC3

Edited by astocky

UPDATE to 2.1!

Deadly Reentry 2.1 - Release Candidate 3

Changes in 2.1:

- Adjusted shockwave physics

- Parts can now catch fire and sustain heat damage.

- Engines are now damaged if they are run for extended times at an overheat (> 85% maxTemp)

- Fixed shielding bug on Shielded Clamp-O-Tron

- Updated and added 1.3 heat shield parts.

Link dead, cant wait!

Fixed! Also, as a release candidate, this version will have a debug window open by default, where you can adjust parameters. I'd like people to test with the basic parameters before tweaking, please.

Fixed! Also, as a release candidate, this version will have a debug window open by default, where you can adjust parameters. I'd like people to test with the basic parameters before tweaking, please.

Not sure if it is just me, but I'm still getting a 404. Appreciate the hard work, can't wait to test!