[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

Good news everyone! DRE2.2 is out! Check the first post in this thread for the link.

Quite impressed. My first few Deadly Re-entries have been spectacular! I'm going to continue to experiment and explore.

Curious on a couple points for clarification in this release:

- from the previous discussion, FAR is highly recommended or does it work with/without equally?

- could I get an idea of the g-force tolerances? from what I've seen so far they're enjoyably relevant!

I noticed massive lag while flying at speed in an atmosphere after updating.

No errors in the log though...

Edit// Nevermind, it seems its only with a particular craft

Edit2// It really doesn't seem to like any of my KAS Pod Racer crafts. Previous version didn't mind. :)

Edited by s20dan

While testing something using both FAR and Deadly Reentry, my space plane had it's engines exploding after leaving 150 Km (I belive) flying at about 1.5 Km/s. Is this the expected behavior considering I was coming from inside Kerbin and not really reentering the atmosphere?

Anyone got screenies? Is this a part, plugin or both? Effects included for free? Im new to this thread and it seems everyone has prior knowledge somehow. Thx.

This is not something you would see in screshots. What Deadly Reentry does is add heat during reentry, making your ship (yes, the entire ship) overheat and explode if enter the atmosphere too quickly, which is what happens in real life.

On a second note, you guys know that the Apollo 10 reentered the atmosphere at 11.08 Km/s right? It's the speed record for a manned flying object.

Have FPS drop to 10-11 and the right-click info pannel of the main engine disappears while using MechJeb 2.0.8. Looks like it is some kind of conflict between Deadly Reentry damaging the engine at 95% overheat and MJ preventing overheat at 95% too, since setting a more restrictive condition (like a low acceleration which reduces the engine power) restores normal FPS and the right click menu.

I had to uninstall this great mod :(

It seems that it causes massive lag with any of my more unusual craft. Such as this:

PeU6JfTl.jpg

Or this:

1IkAkfRl.jpg

They are fine until the point they are put under stress from G-forces. Then the lag begins.

I am using lots of mods and at first I thought perhaps it was a conflict, although none existed with the previous version. (RC4 I think?)

However, Chestburster had a similar experience with stock craft.

Anyway, I'll re-activate it and see if I can get some more substantial information through the logs.

Update:

Here's some more info from the logs:

[code=]
(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.String.memcpy4 (System.Byte* dest, System.Byte* src, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.String.memcpy (System.Byte* dest, System.Byte* src, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Krakensbane.GetFrameVelocityV3f () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Thats repeated a lot throughout the logs.

Edited by s20dan

I'm getting a lot of lag with b9 parts. It takes some second before the scene fully loads to start lagging, and happens only with b9 parts.

Click runway, select any ship that uses b9 parts, the scene loads and I can start the flight. 10 seconds after physics kick in, lag starts and it grows and grows till the game is barely playable

Click SPH, start building anything, select a b9 part, place it, 10 seconds later everything starts to lag again.

None of this happens if I keep it stock (or other parts that aren't b9. I'm using mapsat, some custom made parts, kspx, remotetech and kwrocketry and none of them seem to have trouble).

I had to uninstall this great mod :(

It seems that it causes massive lag with any of my more unusual craft. Such as this:

PeU6JfTl.jpg

Or this:

1IkAkfRl.jpg

They are fine until the point they are put under stress from G-forces. Then the lag begins.

I am using lots of mods and at first I thought perhaps it was a conflict, although none existed with the previous version. (RC4 I think?)

However, Chestburster had a similar experience with stock craft.

Anyway, I'll re-activate it and see if I can get some more substantial information through the logs.

Update:

Here's some more info from the logs:

[code=]

at System.String.memcpy4 (System.Byte* dest, System.Byte* src, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.String.memcpy (System.Byte* dest, System.Byte* src, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Krakensbane.GetFrameVelocityV3f () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Thats repeated a lot throughout the logs.

:( well then. Unfortunately, that's part of the process of determining the accurate velocity of the craft; this happens in every frame (not just under high-G loads), so it's unusual that it'd only start lagging under stress.

I'm not sure if I can find a way around this, but I'll try.

:( well then. Unfortunately, that's part of the process of determining the accurate velocity of the craft; this happens in every frame (not just under high-G loads), so it's unusual that it'd only start lagging under stress.

I'm not sure if I can find a way around this, but I'll try.

I scanned those logs for some more errors and found this:

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.CheckGeeForces () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Its actually repeated more than the other error, I don't know how I missed it.

I think the first error was appearing in the SPH and maybe this error was the one from during flight.

Edited by s20dan

Update: I think I have a solution, but it'll take extensive testing to see if I haven't introduced a new bug.

Tell us if there's any special area that requires testing. If it's just "test it till you break it" then I'm already doing that.

Update: I think I have a solution, but it'll take extensive testing to see if I haven't introduced a new bug.

Still getting the same lag with the update :(

But thanks for getting a patch out so quickly anyway.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can someone tell me how to bring up the debug menu to adjust the reentry heat factor? I'm not familiar with Module Manager, so I didn't install the related folder or file. Alt+D doesn't seem to work, can anyone point it out?

Edited by Synthesis

Issue report: Bobcat's 6.25m Inflatable Heatshield has mass = 0.2 only and no ablator!

Also I have a question: is there any hope for PlaCo Heatshields to be adapted to DR2?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can someone tell me how to bring up the debug menu to adjust the reentry heat factor? I'm not familiar with Module Manager, so I didn't install the related folder or file. Alt+D doesn't seem to work, can anyone point it out?

It was Alt+D+R in 2.1 but no idea if its changed.

If you don't add the module manager stuff it can't make the changes to stock parts max temperature setting though.

Edited by King Jareth

Still not getting engine damage as I did in 2.1, I'm starting to think I haven't installed it correctly, can anyone help me?

-ModuleManager.dll -> KSP_win\Plugins

-DeadlyReentry, ExsurgentEngineering, [moduleManagerSource]* folders -> KSP_win\GameData

*Don't think moduleManagerSource folder is necessary, but just in case

You reincluded the heat shield parts, you fixed the MM/B9 Bug...

There is only one thing left which prevents me from getting this mod (I loved v1.3):

The fact that all stock parts get 50% heat tolerance makes all mod parts overpowered considering heat resistance.

I think it would have been a better idea to simply double the maximum heat caused by the atmosphere at all velocities and leave the maxheat values of all parts as is. That way, all modded parts won't seem out of place in the light of this great mod.

I agree with BigNose... the heating is a bit messed up...

And its still far to easy... i don't even need a heatshield, i just use an engine to compensate the heat which i decouple when things start to cool down...

Edited by StainX