[Showcase] Post your Bases

Just started hitting the outpost contract phase in my current stock career.  It's still pretty early, but I'm unusually pleased with the modular base aesthetic that I've managed to put together so far this time around.

9ijwRqKl.png?1

s5KuW7Ml.png?1

Edited by Vim Razz
can I has grammar?

For the pure purpose of Science generation (0.5 Science a day) and for general niceness, I built... *drumrolls*

A Minmus Base!

MVHsPTm.png

(I couldn't find the image with the base on-site, so have the mockup version on Kerbin instead!)

*silence*

I know, it's lame compared to the others... but it generates Science, Electricity, Fuel and holds up to 15 Kerbals.

Assembly is done piece by piece. Individually sent by this thing.

bvOtGhj.png

It starts out with a Starter Base and from then on, it can be built and customized the way you want.

(NOTE: It's not built in orbit, but I landed each part on Minmus and drove it there.)

Good news everyone! The Base-In-A-Box is, once again, a base that does indeed come inside a box. Much easier to move around things if they are nicely packaged!

pVR2uHp.png

I have run the numbers, and the Orca, placed like that and with sufficient LKO refueling, should be enough to lug this thing all the way to Duna. For farther trips, add a nuclear tug to the equation and you are golden. Inside it, not many things have changed, other than the part count. In that picture, you can see around 250 parts, all told. And once on the ground... well, the base currently under testing on Mun is 150 parts right now... but that is including the 80 part Orca that I have parked in there to (slowly) refuel before going to grab the rest of modules. When everything is on the ground, I anticipate 100 parts for the base, rover included. :)

kBn4xrT.png

Rune. Not long now to finish testing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LTJtwmx.jpg

Great minds think alike @NathanMcGuire30 :) I built mine in the ambition to launch large main ships and skip the atmosphere ascent part of things. But now I have to account for Minmus' inclination.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:53 AM, NathanMcGuire30 said:

I built this minimus base.  It is completely self sufficient, and can build crafts using EPL.

7u54ybIg.png

@Spartwo epiccccccc :D

18 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

LTJtwmx.jpg

Great minds think alike @NathanMcGuire30 :) I built mine in the ambition to launch large main ships and skip the atmosphere ascent part of things. But now I have to account for Minmus' inclination.

@Spartwo epiccccccc :D

Thanks, it took a lot of work, and because I play on a bad laptop, with a ton of mods, the frame rate is atrocious.  Probably around 5.  Yours looks great as well, I have been meaning to get MKS, but I would have to remove some other mods, and I like my other mods.  Also, how did you get all the modules so nicely aligned?  I haphazardly pushed mine around with a rover, which worked, but could have been better.

Minimus's inclination is a little bit anoying, but I have found that it is far enough out that a couple of small burns, or some orbital stuff with the mun will get me where I want to be.  The base was designed to make launching large modules for my mun station easier, and it works very well at that.

I've been busy with staking out a location for a polar Mun base, picking a location with high amounts of ore to establish a mining/refueling network alongside the base. Right now, I just have the first part of the base; a science lab, landing close by to the initial scouting party.

240405e48e.png

11 hours ago, NathanMcGuire30 said:

Thanks, it took a lot of work, and because I play on a bad laptop, with a ton of mods, the frame rate is atrocious.  Probably around 5.  Yours looks great as well, I have been meaning to get MKS, but I would have to remove some other mods, and I like my other mods.  Also, how did you get all the modules so nicely aligned?  I haphazardly pushed mine around with a rover, which worked, but could have been better.

Minimus's inclination is a little bit anoying, but I have found that it is far enough out that a couple of small burns, or some orbital stuff with the mun will get me where I want to be.  The base was designed to make launching large modules for my mun station easier, and it works very well at that.

My PC is pretty competent but I also have a ton of mods and I'm at the point where frame rate is good around the base alone but once I spawn or approach with any mid-sized ship, the framerate falls, and the game takes really long to open.

Most of the base, including the vertical launchpad comes in one piece out of a whole 3.75m kontainer of MaterialKits, which explains the perfect alignments. Note that the kontainer in the picture is 5m size, and its dry mass is 25 tons. Base expansion is mostly provided by arrays of clamp seniors and there's a crane with klaw sitting on a platform (visually, the ISRU is right beside it) leading to the runway that holds the spaceplane. I use MKS-Lite and the EL-Lite patch because all I personally want in MKS is the beautiful habitation parts (and life support that doesn't kill my kerbals..but that's a different copy of the game). The patch allows me to use MaterialKits instead of RocketParts 99.8% of the time...which is weird and inconvenient so the design accounts for it.

...Yay Mun station! :D I currently have none.

@Talos A polar base, eh? That's awesome. I'm guessing polar flybys happen often? :) Or just unique plans?

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Talos A polar base, eh? That's awesome. I'm guessing polar flybys happen often? :) Or just unique plans?

I did an ore scan and found a spot near the north pole which had a high concentration of it. A ground probe confirmed the high concentration so a prospect team was sent to map out the area.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Polar bases are cool, you learn a lot about orbital mechanics flying missions to them. In fact, that last one I showed is in the Munar south Pole, right next to *redacted*. It does provide a lot of awesome shots, tough unfortunately I'm just a few degrees off of having Kerbin on the sky at ground level. Illumination is awesome, tough, It's almost a peak of eternal light.

ZZWcx3t.png

That's local noon, and look at the shadows. And just when you go a bit up, or while you are going down to it, you are greeted by kerbin on the horizon.

Zh3MGAL.png

Rune. Then again, there is this awesome spot near the north pole where you get Kerbin framed by crater walls, gotta put up a base there some time.

Progress on the base has been steady. So far, a pod for habitation has landed nearby the science pod. The habitat pod has ports for more things to be attached but right now it's ready for use. I've landed a crew to the surface, with the pilot leaving for my orbiting station to pick up more people.

fe758daa72.png

You can see the lights way down there, that's the entire base so far. It's right next to a massive crater, which totally wasn't an accident or anything.

17 hours ago, Rune said:

Polar bases are cool, you learn a lot about orbital mechanics flying missions to them. In fact, that last one I showed is in the Munar south Pole, right next to *redacted*.

Ohhhhh, *redacted*. I landed the Arbie there once, with Bob and a random pilot. I was hunting anomalies then. Also, +1 Orca fan. :)

18 hours ago, Talos said:

I did an ore scan and found a spot near the north pole which had a high concentration of it. A ground probe confirmed the high concentration so a prospect team was sent to map out the area.

Sweeeet. I landed a stock rover, in perhaps an impractical little quest, to find <1deg slope with high Ore abundance on Mun, and inside one of the major craters to boot. I want to rebuild my Minmus base (or maybe a smaller, much more modular one), without the testing troubles and multiple supply landers....maybe even no landers and just the meager construction supply alone on the Missionary vessel. Also, great progress on your Mun base. I wish I got to finish mine months ago. Lost it due to mods breaking (namely Infernal Robotics) and not yet having the habit of backing up my save.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, PointySideUp said:

I've just finished landing and assembling a @Rune Base in a Box on Ike, I was able to land the entire assembled box with just a fully fueled Orca, no need to break it up and take it down piece by piece! :)

Well, that's one way to do it.  It's nice to open the presents on the ground right? :)

Also, I dig that you modified it a bit to suit your needs. Did you refuel on Duna's SOI, or all the fuel for the job was stored inside the Orca? It can take an awful lot of Ore to convert with the ISRU unit on the box, I know that.

Rune. The Orca is so polyvalent, I'm hard pressed to come up with new things... everything can be done with it!

25 minutes ago, Rune said:

Did you refuel on Duna's SOI, or all the fuel for the job was stored inside the Orca?

The surface base is part of a large science harvesting and infrastructure building expedition, many of the larger pieces were "Nuke Tugged" out to Duna, several others got there and landed under their own power.

Xj8S57k.png

Spoiler

0sU3rqJ.png

Spoiler

FB9W4Ci.png

Spoiler

f8gvYSk.png

Edited by PointySideUp

And we got a few new things for my Mun Base. Decided to download the Planetary Bases mod, and promptly sent an engineers base, with attached garage for two small rovers that came with the science and scout landers. Instead of building it in orbit, I just launched the whole thing on a rocket and guided it down to the surface.

c8889f9d98.png

As for the rest of the base, the primary base is still incomplete, but eventually, it will have up to three of those habitat pods.

7ab55edb16.png

And just for the hell of it, I sent another one of Raptor9's creations; the mining probe, which was an utter pain to bring to Munar orbit due to how heavy it was. I had to settle with a suicide burn which almost destroyed the whole thing (and at one point I miscalculated the landing spot for my first attempt and ended up hitting the base itself.

ce1d075b19.png

• 1 month later...

G1rLTvz.jpg

Nothing fancy about this Minmus base, I'm only using it as a mining/refinery base (producing an impressive 0.01 Lf+Ox per second) to refuel my future interplanetary missions. However, I need to design and add an efficient fuel transfer craft before that. Stats : 50000 EC, 10000 LF+Ox, 550 Monopropellant, 5 Crew

Mods I am using for this project : KER, KJR, Bluedog Design Bureau, MRS, SXT, RSB stockalike, Real Plume, Tweakscale

WIP :

tgqbSgcPQeQHYex5FQezr3YfwSBBv8z0wTsACC3W

Edited by Andiron

Here's a wild idea that came to me recently but haven't had much cause to touch. a "glass fortress" intended for use as an anomaly, alien EL base, or high-class outpost in Jool SOI or beyond. It comes with actualairlock modules, many Karbonite drills and a lot of Nuclear Fuel storage to keep batteries full and share with newly built nuclear-powered craft.

stWajdZ.jpg

Back to serious matters, the crew from the Minmus base had moved on (via flying saucers, yep) and setup shop on Mun. I call this Muna Industria. It's not as full-fledged and modular as the Minmus setup, forgoing integrated launchpads and fuel tankage to save on part count and construction costs, and offload fuel responsibility to an on-site mobile miner named Graveheart. Its goals are secondary, to launch minor crafts and eventually, a station, and to be the support for that station. It sits on the edge of a patch of surface with 0.4deg slope.

aYEertD.jpg

In this image, preparations were being made to launch an OmniProbe to Duna. It runs on Xenon but its lifter had to intercept a Xenon payload probe waiting in low orbit. Mission complete.

jbjEA4m.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.