Show off your landers MEGATHREAD

This was my first lander ever, built to go to the Mun, but found it had plenty to go to Minmus as well

KSP01.jpg

This one I went for a minimalistic rover carrier, as it was the first time trying to get a rover out there, and only did it today, so fresh off the drawing board.

Just detached from the command module.

KSP07.jpg

Landed

KSP08.jpg

All using stock parts, as I have only just started playing and don't want to clog up my ancient PC if I don't need to.

Here is my manned lander from my Kerdessy program (Kerbal Delivery System). Below are publicity images of mission KDS-10, the first to successfully land on Mun. Jeb is currently heading up the test team for the attachable rover program because he doesn't like walking, so his cousin Jedory commanded this mission.

T47bP02.jpg

Here is the unmanned portion of my exploration right now, the Mun Explorer (with Beagle rover).

XWYSONh.jpg

My munar program currently has two reliable landers. Additionally, there are many more unreliable ones, but there's only so many pictures of dust clouds I can take.

First, Muna I:

X4w16iE.jpg

And then Muna II:

3yzRSaX.jpg

There's a subtle difference between them. See if you can spot it! ;)

Well, I took some notes of what people here have done, and I made a brand spanking new lander! Much heavier than my old Tranquility lander, my new Hadley is capable of a J-class apollo-style excursion, landing two men and a rover on the surface of a moon, with loads of fuel to spare. I should have a complete debrief on the excursion tomorrow!

Lander's and Bases on the Mun

The left one is emergency escape vessel called "The Castle". A Kethane miner rig. A living quarters base for the Kerbal's. Several exploring ships (Scout in different versions) that delivered the rovers. All connectable with small docking ports as well as attachable with the KAS winch system for fuel transfer from several fuel/rover trucks. All this in version 1.9 --- Mods:Mechjeb-KAS-Kethane-ISA MapSat-Nova Punch pack parts for Boosters (TD-5002 FT and The Matriarch engine)

The current scout version ships have a one Kerbal capsule on top with a latter down the center and lander legs on the two outer fuel tanks. It works fine and can be used to excape as well as explore as seen in the second shot. All the ships and bases have been refueled and ready to go :-)

ttbdZdZ.jpg

tgDHY63.png

Looking forward to do similar type of building in version 2.0 - when the mods/add-on come out. -BJ Quest

Edited by BJ Quest

My most successful so far, has enough oomph to land and take off of Laythe:

screenshot35x.png

screenshot30q.png

Also, my superheavy Kethane lander capable of reaching LKO ON ITS OWN in a single stage (tested to land on the Mun and a return to KSC):

screenshot0u.png

Starting a tour of the solar system in this, docked to an LV-N transfer stage:

screenshot2ykd.png

If you are designing a Duna lander, you need to decide whether you're landing on rockets or parachutes.

Parachutes will let you use a low mass lander, but you need to have plenty of struts so it doesn't tear itself apart when the parachutes open. Rockets will let you use a simpler design, but it will be heavy.

Ehhhhh. Depends how you plan it. A lot of people think spamming struts fixes everything. The two small landers in this post have no struts anywhere - well... aside from that large docking port, cause I foresaw problems with 4x time warp and a small docking port. With smart chute deployment and having things attached to spread the load evenly, I don't have issues with things breaking on parachute deployment. YMMV.

Edited by Immashift

Been playing around with the new Landercan some today. I think I might find something more efficient for the engines, though.

iI6Q3dM.png

Here's mine on Minmus.

-snip-

That's an awesome looking ride you've got there!

Just completed my first successful landing in the Jool system, on Laythe. My first landing outside the Kerbin and Duna systems too. Landed harder than I'd like, but nothing broke. I should've trusted the chutes more and lit the descent stage up later than I did.

Aerobraking at Jool along with the tug that got it there

Dodo1Aerobrake.jpg

De-orbit burn over Laythe

Dodo1DeorbitBurn.jpg

Safely on the ground

Dodo1OnLaythe.jpg

This is the smallest lander I could think of. For testing, yeah that`s it, for testing...

It has 1752Dv, TWR between 6.18-11.21 and weighs 1T... (Max acceleration 70m/s2)

Should land most places.

screenshot94c.png

screenshot95a.png

screenshot96k.png

screenshot98p.png

screenshot99g.png

screenshot101we.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.