Interplanetary Missions, always come in clockwise.

I'd guess you are using minimum DV to enter the target SOI, that would put you on the inside of the target's orbit track and your velocity vector will be drawn into orbit clockwise.

That only applies to planets further out than kerbin I think, so it's just a matter of tiny alterations to the maneuver node about half way through your Hohmann transfer to tweak the trajectory into an anticlockwise orbit.

As soon as you enter the target SOI you can burn at 270 degrees horizontal, 0degrees vertical and watch your pariaps drop to inside the target body. Keep burning and it will come out the other side eventually and you are now inbound on a reversed orbit! Don't forget when you circularize you burn in the opposite direction than usual. The markers for prograde and retrograde will still work in the same way, but they will be at opposite directions than a clockwise orbit

I always keep forgetting that, once your periapsis touches the body itself, the periapsis will eventually come out of "the other side"--I always thought it meant I just had to pull it back up and keep doing + and - nodes until I "rotate" the maneuver right :D

Go to your settings file and change "patched conics draw mode" from 3 to 0. Next time you get an interplanetary intercept, you will see your path past the planet indicated within the planet's SOI, and you can see whether you will approach it prograde/retrograde, the inclination, and what the periapsis will be. You can then do quite a tiny burn at the halfway point of the trip (play with maneuver node and watch the result), and set your approach the way you want it.

I'd guess you are using minimum DV to enter the target SOI, that would put you on the inside of the target's orbit track and your velocity vector will be drawn into orbit clockwise.

That only applies to planets further out than kerbin I think, so it's just a matter of tiny alterations to the maneuver node about half way through your Hohmann transfer to tweak the trajectory into an anticlockwise orbit.

That makes sense, Thanks.

Go to your settings file and change "patched conics draw mode" from 3 to 0. Next time you get an interplanetary intercept, you will see your path past the planet indicated within the planet's SOI, and you can see whether you will approach it prograde/retrograde, the inclination, and what the periapsis will be. You can then do quite a tiny burn at the halfway point of the trip (play with maneuver node and watch the result), and set your approach the way you want it.

Oh I completely forgot about this feature! I'm going to give this a go now, Thanks people!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.