[WIP]Rover RollKage

Those are doable, the problem is the wheels have to be symmetrical front to back, because symmetry just rotates it around, otherwise you would have to make a left and right version separately. I learn this the hard way after lots of facepalming.

Also the suspensions are kind of "fake", the wheels just go up and down and not in a circular fashion like a real suspension with 4 bar linkages. So it may look a bit off when you have lots of travel.

Ahh right, I get what you mean (I think). So a springy suspension would look better if the springs were verticle?

Regarding the whole symmetry issues, I have come across the issue too with the caterpillar tracks,however EndlessWaves is working on a plugin to force proper symmetry on objects (by negatively scaling the object whilst keeping its properties intact). It hasn't been completed yet but is something to consider for future planning.

Edited by electronicfox

Regarding the whole symmetry issues, I have come across the issue too with the caterpillar tracks,however EndlessWaves is working on a plugin to force proper symmetry on objects (by negatively scaling the object whilst keeping its properties intact). It hasn't been completed yet but is something to consider for future planning.

Oh! ...getting cross chatter from some not too distant awesome trackyness thread!!!!

EDIT: Ahhh now I see the quote! and it all makes sense!!

Edited by angusmcbeth

Yeah I can see how that can be a big problem with tracks, especially textures. Luckly it's easier to make symmetrical wheels. BTW your tracks look amazing! Keep working on them!

Augus I see you got smooth shading on the new rollkage pipes! Will you be adding a panel to the front? It's useful for mount things.

Augus I see you got smooth shading on the new rollkage pipes! Will you be adding a panel to the front? It's useful for mount things.

The MK2 is my redesign of the MK1, added some structural elements and some updated texturing. Adding an extra panel would be a simple task, but there are plans in my head for the MK2

Will you be adding a panel to the front? It's useful for mount things.

I will see how that works out, there probably will be an invisible collider that will allow you to surface attach on the front. I have to make the Mk2 more cagey than the skull crushingly collider deficient Mk1. As Mr E.Fox points out, there are plans afoot.

I forgot to mention, Im slowly converting the rollkage into small prisons.

Well considering the size of their heads.....

Actually I have had some issue with them going into that rage doll state when they first pop out of the stock seats.

This has led to some problems getting them out of the rovers. It's a problem with the core game and not mod parts.

I was just wondering about the side bar, I'm assuming it has a collider?

having one or both sides animated so the colliders swing out of the way should solve that problem, and a few well placed larger sections of tube would visually justify it swinging open.

Honestly I completely overlooked the fact that kerbals need to exit vehicles sometimes (probably because 90% of mine die before getting the chance). The door suggestion would probably work alright, or just removing a collider on that particular bar (but it may look odd when kerbals just fall through it).

The rollcage is great, having lots of fun making things with these. Just an FYI, you only need one model, put your textures in a folder named textures in the RollKageMK1 folder and add texture = name_of_your_texture.png to your cfg. I have 8 colors all in one part.cfg using one model. Should save on memory a little I hope.

The rollcage is great, having lots of fun making things with these. Just an FYI, you only need one model, put your textures in a folder named textures in the RollKageMK1 folder and add texture = name_of_your_texture.png to your cfg. I have 8 colors all in one part.cfg using one model. Should save on memory a little I hope.

Dave7

Multiple textures, thanks!, I have been trying to do that! Brilliant

The new rollcage is 1billion times better Dave, we (I, not we. Electronicfox made a brilliant mesh) had a few problems with it that have now been fixed. The new version is more solid and will not sink into the ground the same way as the mk1 does. Here are some testing pics..

UdrNkBF.png

cgz5zeK.png

tAbKQEo.png

69mhI66.png

And yes, this is as much fun as it looks! RollKage wont save your butt every time, but it helps.

Edited by angusmcbeth

The ramp was a fun looking idea lol. Am I seeing things or did you resize those back wheels to make a dragster? Time to edit some wheels!

Added rescaled front wheels and edited both wheels not to break at high speed, edited small fuel tank to contain only fuel, half size jet engine, new rollKage, the rest is stock.