[WIP]Rover RollKage

McBeth Engineering are pleased to announce further expansion in our staffing levels after our successful sponsorship deal with Kerchelin. Welcome aboard Zitronen!

Sneaky download before anyone else? Get the Mark 1-EF RollKage here, all current five colours : https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz4armjwfru4kbw/RollKage.zip

Much improved version, have fun!!

iTZ7yHr.jpg

I like the new size, it's perfect for one person.

The Kerbals pop out of the seat like a jack in the box too.

I think there may be a need for a new wheel size for it, all the ones we have now seem too large or too small.

Jeb seems happy with it.

Jeb approved:

F608Hgc.png

7UIz5m9.png

Edited by Tommygun

I like the new size, it's perfect for one person.

The Kerbals pop out of the seat like a jack in the box too.

I think there may be a need for a new wheel size for it, all the ones we have now seem too large or too small.

Jeb seems happy with it.

Hey Tommygun!

Personally, I like oversized wheels! Having said that, you will have noticed we now have a deal with Kerchelin and there must be a reason for that (:wink:) - Expect something cool to happen regarding wheels. Thanks for the feedback!

Any plans on making this in a double wide to seat 2? Maybe another double width & length for a 4 seater?

Hi Dave!

First of all, thanks for the tips on multiple textures. I got it working after correcting a few silly errors I had made.

Yes, I liked the 2 seater, I wanna build a wider one. 4 seater? maybe??

Oooh, nice, they actually work as roll cages now. Reinstalling.

They're also getting pretty damn close to pre-made small rover chassis. Hehe.

Yup, survivability increased from 1% to 75% under the usual ridiculous conditions!! We have plans for wheel attachment parts for the RollKage pack too. It should make it a simple task to place 4 perfectly in line wheels, much like how you can do it now with the cube truss, but much cooler! . Thanks for your comment!

Wheeeeee!!! now my Kerbalnauts can actually (mostly) survive high speed antics on the Mun and Minimus!

Yes, a very honest comment....Our heros can mostly survive high impact with the rollkage!! Thanks Lazurkri!!

Fortunately, our kerbal is thrown from his seat during high speed testing!!....mostly still alive!!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by angusmcbeth

I just finished a nice variety of thrills, spills and a surprisingly lack of kills. I've rocked, rolled and crashed many rovers. A few Kerbals prematurely disembarked but none ever got trapped under an upturned rover. The only time I actually killed a Kerbal was when I crashed full throttle (20+ m/s) into the runway lights vaporizing pretty much everything in front of the RollKage and ejecting poor Gilley Kerman, seat and all, through the front 'window'. He too poofed after a close encounter with the tarmac.

I just finished a nice variety of thrills, spills and a surprisingly lack of kills. I've rocked, rolled and crashed many rovers. A few Kerbals prematurely disembarked but none ever got trapped under an upturned rover. The only time I actually killed a Kerbal was when I crashed full throttle (20+ m/s) into the runway lights vaporizing pretty much everything in front of the RollKage and ejecting poor Gilley Kerman, seat and all, through the front 'window'. He too poofed after a close encounter with the tarmac.

Thanks Tex!

The new colliders make all the difference. A big leap in my understanding of how it all works.

haven't gotten a chance to play with the new one, but I just remembered that I had a mission planned with the old one (a week late) to the mun

Clearly I'm not playing legit at the moment

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So much fun but quite unstable. Odd discovery, Jeb has been outside his seat for quite a while now, and it causes a lot of collision glitchyiness, but he is still controlling the rover, probably because he's locked in contact with it

he was just generally jammed in the rollkage in such a way that he couldn't move out of the seat even though he had fallen out.

But scratch that, a rather more astounding thing has occured, a bit over half an hour ago in real time I pulled a stunt and destroyed both the backup probe (may be involved in what I was describing) and Jeb. The rover is still rolling around, and I've had it at 4x physical acceleration. It got so silly that I've started streaming it

http://www.twitch.tv/greys0

No commentary, no content, not even really related to this thread, but I can't quite look away