[0.20.2] Mission Controller v0.10 (06/24/2013) [ALPHA]

nobody44

Another thought, can you implement "restrictions"? Ie, said mission must be accomplished by a vehicle w/o oxidizer or something?

Also: do the probe missions REQUIRE it to be unmanned?

Edited by Blaer
Extra thought

Hi, I have just installed this plugin, but when I click on "Select mission package" the new windows is empty, even though the file "Plugins\PluginData\MissionController\Stock.mpkg" is present.

Do you have any idea where this bug come from ?

Thank you.

This is actually not realistic. Rockets don't fly without fuel just because someone declared that this is a "test" launch. In real life this issue is usually alleviated by using super-cheap mock payloads instead of real ones, testing first stage without the second one in suborbital tests, etc. There is actually a whole world of potential clever concepts to be invented to make test launches as cheap as possible. I think it has to stay the way it is now - launch is launch. The only possible exception would be launch abort - since nothing is launched, there are no expenses. I wasted quite some money on these "launches without actual launch", as I usually do vessel checkup on the pad - checking action groups, LAS/LES if applicable, etc.

Other than that - it's awesome mod, thanks for bringing it up!

That is the reason why I did not implement this feature so far. I know that it is unrealistic, and the plugin has the possibility to temporarily disable the plugin (in the settings).

Another thought, can you implement "restrictions"? Ie, said mission must be accomplished by a vehicle w/o oxidizer or something?

Also: do the probe missions REQUIRE it to be unmanned?

The ResourceGoal has the maxAmount field. And FYI: Oxidizer is expensive. Planes are cheap compared to rockets because they don't need oxidizer.

Technically no, the probe missions don't require it to be unmanned. Why?

Hi, I have just installed this plugin, but when I click on "Select mission package" the new windows is empty, even though the file "Plugins\PluginData\MissionController\Stock.mpkg" is present.

Do you have any idea where this bug come from ?

Thank you.

The whole plugin directory "MissionController" should be extracted into the "GameData" directory, not into the Plugins folder.

Edited by nobody44

And FYI: Oxidizer is expensive. Planes are cheap compared to rockets because they don't need oxidizer.

> uhmmm... so why does it cost only 2 units then, when you set the cost of liquid fuel at 10?

In an old version that was the case. I fixed it in the first post.

Now it is:

2 * liquid fuel + 15 * mono + 5 * solid + 20 * xenon + 8.54 * oxidizer.

Feel free to suggest better factors :).

Excellent plugin - although i begin strugelling already with Vostok II.. its hard to create rockets (imho) that are cheaper than the reward

I just finished Sputnik I-III and Vostok I-II and I have 140 000 krones now. But I see your point, I guess I will have to higher the reward :).

In which package? The plugin itself is just a folder with dlls in it. The mission manager is for mission designers. The .exe file in there is runable with mono on Mac I guess. I run it on linux and it works...

This mod is awesome! Having real fun designing my own missions as well.

One question I had was are there plans for a rendezvous goal in any future releases? It would be really great imho to get a mission to say, repair a damaged satellite that you had put up in a previous mission.

Keep up the excellent work :D

This mod is awesome! Having real fun designing my own missions as well.

One question I had was are there plans for a rendezvous goal in any future releases? It would be really great imho to get a mission to say, repair a damaged satellite that you had put up in a previous mission.

Keep up the excellent work :D

Hi. There is a DockingGoal. That should work. I try to maintain a documentation on github.

Do you mean docking or just a rendezvous?

I'm thinking someone should start a user mission package thread for posting those, using the version number they work for. Also, I think our fearless leader here should link it at beginning of this thread. Someone take some initiative, I'm at work! :)

Hi. There is a DockingGoal. That should work. I try to maintain a documentation on github.

Do you mean docking or just a rendezvous?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I meant rendezvous, i.e. you must get within 100m of a particular craft in orbit for a certain amount of time (not the craft you launched in). Or perform an EVA within 100m of a craft in orbit for a certain amount of time. This would work for small craft like satellites that may not have docking ports for example.

I know absolutely nothing about coding but in my mind the mission would look something like this.

Mission

{

name = Rendezvous

category = ORBIT, RENDEZVOUS

description = Rendezvous with <insert craft here> in orbit

reward = 1000000

RendezvousGoal

{

Target= <Target vessel goes here>

maxDistanceFromTarget = 100

minSeconds = 120

}

}

This mod is amazing. I am thinking of making a mission package oriented towards plane testing - altitude tests, distance tests, repeatable spy & reconnaissance missions, exploration missions ( Kerbin poles and such).

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I meant rendezvous, i.e. you must get within 100m of a particular craft in orbit for a certain amount of time (not the craft you launched in). Or perform an EVA within 100m of a craft in orbit for a certain amount of time. This would work for small craft like satellites that may not have docking ports for example.

I know absolutely nothing about coding but in my mind the mission would look something like this.

Mission

{

name = Rendezvous

category = ORBIT, RENDEZVOUS

description = Rendezvous with <insert craft here> in orbit

reward = 1000000

RendezvousGoal

{

Target= <Target vessel goes here>

maxDistanceFromTarget = 100

minSeconds = 120

}

}

Currently this is not possible. There is one problem with this approach: the static vessel name. I will think about it, maybe it is possible. I opened an issue on github to keep this in mind.

This mod is amazing. I am thinking of making a mission package oriented towards plane testing - altitude tests, distance tests, repeatable spy & reconnaissance missions, exploration missions ( Kerbin poles and such).

Thanks. There is currently no distance goal in form of "400 kilometeres travelled" :(.

Whoever made the NT Space Program mission pack, you made it Mac installer package, which limits PC users.....

? it's a simple Zip File. Just extract it with every common Unpacker. Even Windows Explorer should do that ,)

No no no... that is *my* fault :). The mission package file ending is mpkg (Mission PacKaGe), it has absolutely nothing to do with Mac. You can use it on Windows, Linux and Mac. Just paste the mpkg file in the right directory.

I just didn't know that this file ending is being used in OSX.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I would like to lease my satellites for private firms. Can I do that?

Okay okay, what I mean is, if I send up 20 satellites, can I have a "continuing" mission that generates money each "week" or whatever?

I'm selling data access/tv/telephone service etc etc, that should bring a continuing income. Maybe do a check once a day if you have a mission like that setup.

My suggestion would do something like this

Mission{
name = TeleCom Race, Full Coverage
description = The Full coverage mission package requires you to send up satellites into orbit with 100% coverage.
reward = 2000 (ok this number might be completely off but you get the gist)
renewable = weekly
uniqueVehicles = true (or maybe set this to the minimum amount of vessles required?)
OrbitGoal
{
crewCount = 0
reward = 0
body = Kerbin
minPeA = 200000
maxEccentricity = 0.2
minInclination = 0
maxInclination = 0.2
}
{
crewCount = 0
reward = 0
body = Kerbin
minPeA = 200000
maxEccentricity = 0.2
minInclination = 6
maxInclination = 6.2
}
OrbitGoal
{
crewCount = 0
reward = 0
body = Kerbin
minPeA = 200000
maxEccentricity = 0.2
minInclination = 12
maxInclination = 12.2
}
}

etc etc...

You would actually need to remember which vessle is used for which part of the mission however.

Just saw the post on page 13 about passive income. Exactly! :)

Edited by Artemis
saw a similar post

No no no... that is *my* fault :). The mission package file ending is mpkg (Mission PacKaGe), it has absolutely nothing to do with Mac. You can use it on Windows, Linux and Mac. Just paste the mpkg file in the right directory.

I just didn't know that this file ending is being used in OSX.

Lol, I love this place. A whole bunch of amateur rocket scientists fumbling over themselves! Cheers!

Well, after putting nearly 5 hours in this mod, I can honestly say: I CAN'T WAIT FOR CAREER MODE. I absolutely love the pressure of a budget. makes you think very carefully how you design your craft. Also makes you realize that just because SSTO can be refurbished for a new flight, it doesn't mean that its the cheapest option available. This is a very welcome mod for me, and will be an excellent placeholder until the official career mode is implemented.

PS: how about implementing Max Speed achieved and Total ground distance travelled check?

PPS: if I disable the mod to run some "test simulations" , it is still possible to recycle the test craft, gaining money for nothing.

Well, after putting nearly 5 hours in this mod, I can honestly say: I CAN'T WAIT FOR CAREER MODE. I absolutely love the pressure of a budget. makes you think very carefully how you design your craft. Also makes you realize that just because SSTO can be refurbished for a new flight, it doesn't mean that its the cheapest option available. This is a very welcome mod for me, and will be an excellent placeholder until the official career mode is implemented.

PS: how about implementing Max Speed achieved and Total ground distance travelled check?

PPS: if I disable the mod to run some "test simulations" , it is still possible to recycle the test craft, gaining money for nothing.

Hu, first I was like "Oh god... he wants to remove my plugin as soon as possible" :). Yeah, I made this experience myself... I forgot a part "mid-flight", or didn't check the mission goals, and then sudden realization: "I just wasted about 40000 krones...". Don't get me started on space stations... that **** is expensive!

Do you mean something like "you need to be faster than 300m/s to finish this mission?". We have speed over ground (= horizontal speed) and vertical speed with min max values... no combined speed so far. Will open a github issue on that one.

You are right about the recycle button, fixed it right now.

BTW:

A user in this forum suggested passive and client controlled missions:

A passive mission generates income over time for a specific period of time (the mission designer specifies the lifetime) and most of them should be client controlled (maybe someone of you has an awesome idea where this is not the case).

A client controlled mission is not controlable when you press the "finish mission" button.

Destroying an active vessel (either in a passive mission or a client controlled mission) is being punished with a fine. You can see the lifetime of an active vessel in flight...

Good news on that story: Done :). Will look for bugs now and then release a new version :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.