what was the first thing you landed on (not in the kerbin system)

duncan1297

first thing  

1 member has voted

1. 1. first thing

• Moho
    • Eve
    • Duna
    • Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop/Pol
    • Eeloo

First unmanned landing was a rover to Duna, which was the low hanging fruit delta-v-wise. For a manned mission, I ended up hitting Ike first. I had a handy, compact lander design worked up, but it didn't have enough gas to both land on and ascend from anything bigger than the Mun (and only barely that -- hope you like doing circularization and rendezvous burns with just RCS!), so it went to a nice, shallow gravity well.

Strange that Gilly is not on the poll, while it was not the first place I landed (in fact I haven’t landed there at all yet) it was the runner up for the first place for me to land since it’s nearby and has such a small delta V requirement. Anyway, the first place I landed was Duna.

Is it bad if I say Dres? :huh:

Actually there is a story behind it. I had gone on in the program far enough so that there was a Duna window followed like a day later by a Dres window. So I decided to take advantage of that send two unmanned probes out at the same time. I launched both of them to LKO within an hour of each other and did both of their escape burns at about the same time. Then I focused on the Duna mission and set up a nice duna encounter before going to the Dres probe/lander to mess with it. After burning out to 35 Gm and correcting my inclination (first clue this was a bad idea, dres is inclined at 5 degrees or so), I got a so-so Dres encounter, so decided to leave that and fly my Duna rover to the AN to make corrections. The game then broke, in a glitch which I assume people are familiar with where the navball goes blank and the altimeter cycles through all of the numbers. When I reloaded the game the Duna rover was on a solar escape trajectory at 1400 km/s. :0.0: So I was left with no option but to finish the Dres mission, which turned out to be HARD. I got the encounter down to about 100km, but didn't realize while doing that that I'd need 3 km/s to circularize! This forced me to use lander fuel to finish the maneuver, and after that I barely had enough fuel to land. Thankfully Dres' gravity is low and I was able to do it, but I understand now why it is not a popular target for interplanetary missions. :D

I had taken a bit of a break from the game and one day got the random urge to do some space, so updated the game and noticed all these extra planets. So I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and landed an unmanned probe on eeloo straight away.

My first landing was on the sun when it was a

"Planet" and not a sun :P

Actual planet was eve. More of a crash landing but still landed.

The only reason why I landed on eve was cause I tried to aerobrake through Duna's atmosphere, (it was where I was GOING to land at)

BUT I ended up with a Eve intercept. So I took it. Parachutes and the small amount of fuel I had left were not enough to slow the vehical into a safe landing. The Kerman (is it Kerman?)

survived, but they are stranded. Till I learn how to actually reach Eve.....

Edited by tobjv

Mine was Duna, much like many others. Only it was terrifying that when I came to land, all I had was a Mk1 pod and a parachute along with some winglets. The parachute ripped off and I hit the ground and saw an explosion, and when the smoke cleared the pod had still survived. The winglets saved me from killing Bill.

It was a pretty awesome moment, I must say.

Like most people, I went straight to Duna upon its release :P Even though I already knew getting to Eve took less delta-v, the whole similarity to a Mars mission was what initially drove me to Duna. I even spent many painstaking hours on the previous version building a large interplantery ship capable of getting to another planet, landing and then taking off and going home... and this was before I knew the nuclear engine would be released, so it relied massively on the pre-nerf aerospikes.

My first landing out beyond the Kerbin system was on.....Jool! That is, if you can call having your ship torn apart by terrible winds and having your kerbals buffeted violently around a "landing".

But since Jool wasn't on the poll, I chose my next planet landing: Duna.

My first landing was on the sun when it was a

"Planet" and not a sun :P

Now that you mention it, my first landing outside Kerbin's SOI was also on the sun, back before I bought the full version.

Eve. It was a probe. Not gonna doom Kerbals to way-too-high gravity. It got damaged a bit though... (the parachutes deployed right after I separated the carrier. Then, the lander stage slammed into the carrier, leaving all of the probe stage except its docking decoupler. By the power of drag, it landed safely.)

Other than Jeb's head when he jumped out of the ship as he wanted to use the parachute box on the outside of the lander (as I ran out of fuel during the landing process... doh). Unfortunately I missed the box as I was already hitting atmo so the lander ran away after I bumped into it and ragdolled. Funny enough I found that Kerbal suits have a handy, dandy, repulsor field fitted to their helmets and he bounced THREE TIMES and then landed... AND GOT UP.

Only Jeb!

The first chapter after the Mun and Minmus has to be titled "Destination Duna" or "Decision at Duna" (nod to Anne McCaffrey there ).

Edited by NeoMorph

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.