what was the first thing you landed on (not in the kerbin system)

duncan1297

first thing  

1 member has voted

1. 1. first thing

• Moho
    • Eve
    • Duna
    • Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop/Pol
    • Eeloo

Well if a pile of debris with an intact capsule counts as a landing, then my first landing was on ike, wasn't paying attention during a warp and barely got out of it in time to save the capsule... never sent a rescue mission

First "landing" was on Vall. My first interplanetary mission was the Jool Isn't Miniature Orbiter. It was supposed to end up orbiting Laythe, but I decided to set up a slingshot around Vall for fun. I got it all lined up to swing me over to a Laythe encounter, but it turns out Vall has peaks higher than my periapsis! Thus, KSC learned that not all moons are as smooth as the Mun. Science.

My first deliberate, controlled and successful landing was an entirely successful, all chemical (no NTR), Poodle-propelled, kerbed mission to Duna, with two kerbals in the lander and three on orbit, all of whom made it home; the only real panic was a rush to manually deploy repacked chutes during a suborbital hop.

Edited by Justy

The moment I saw there was new planets in 1.6, and knew one was a gas giant, my curiosity/scientific-interest/need-of-super-kerbalized-death spurred me into making a simple single-kerbal ship to shoot off for Jool. I made it there fairly easy, and discovered that not only does Jool have an atmosphere of gravy-density once deeper down, but also that Jeb gets so happy to be on the big green beauty he begins to breakdance like a madman as physics break down hardcore. XD

Lol, but my first actual 'landing' had to be Eve. I was surprised to find it had more gravity as well as a dense atmosphere than Kerbin, and after stranding about 3 other rescue pods, I have decided orbital missions are favorable until I can work something innovative out... ^^;

Just landed my second craft on Eve, the first non-Kerbin-system body I reached (the first was just a simple 1 m legged lander):

ZutvbMJl.jpg

In addition to being a bigger lander, it carried a surprise:

CTxoV9xl.jpg

I landed about 50 km north of one of Eve's lakes, to which the rover is currently en route. I also designed an excellent interplanetary stage for this craft, with ~7200 m/s delta-v, which should be enough to get me almost anywhere in the inner Kerbol system.

What version was that in?

This was back in 0.16 when it was first stated that we were going to have planets. The excitement building up to 0.17, and then the mad rush of finding the anomalies on the forums made fore a very fun first week after release. Then it was the hunt for the Magic Boulder which was going on for like a month. It was AWESOME! I'm not much for nostalgia, but man were those few months fun.

Looks awesome.

Yes sir. Yes it does.

As for myself my first landing was on Duna using a modified Mun lander. It was a two stage to Duna and back ship :P. Back then I was still in the phase where I wanted to make everything as efficient as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I landed on Gilly (Sadly not in the poll :( ) Why? I was bored from just making a small station around Kerbin so i redesigned my old Standard Launch vehicle (It was retired from service for being really REALLY unstable during the 2 first stages and having high probability of failing during the first staging, Anyway after KW Rocketry Update im doing some corrections and get it back to service but whit better and bigger engines than a bunch of small and fastly overheating engines) and put made it better for interplanetary travel, i also designed a small probe lander suited for the job, it took 260 days to get on a Eve encounter and 1 more to get into Gilly tiny SOI, i have to say that it was the most funny landing i ever made!

It was Duna for me. I had to use the F9 button a couple of times since wheels on the manned rover were being smashed on the surface. It's now on the surface intact and still working. Shortly after that I landed the same rover on Eve. only this time I landed in the ocean and didn't hit F5 before landing. So now they're both stuck floating forever. :(

I was originally going to head for Duna. But after aerobraking, I found that my next apoapsis would put me in Ike's SOI, and I thought: why not?

Luckily I'd built the ship to have more delta-v than I needed, and I still had enough afterwards to land on Duna as well and then return home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.