Mechjeb taught me how to play...

So, I'm a relatively new player. Started pretty much with the release of .19.

I had aspirations to build stations and Mun bases but could not for the life of me get my ships out into orbit. So, I went online and quickly ran into mechjeb and added into my game and pretty much autopiloted everything.

With the release of .20, I decided to do away with mods, especially mechjeb, and do everything from stock.

To my surprise, I could easily get things into orbit/the mun, as well as rendezvous and dock without much of a problem, despite having mechjeb do it all before.

I can't explain it, really. Probably watching mechjeb piloting things several odd hundred times has imbeded how to do it manually in my brain.

Of course, there are still things to work on, like landing things more accurately on the Mun.

Anyone else had a similar experience to this?

I didn't really learn from MechJeb, but I remember when 0.18 came out with docking, the first time I tried to dock was a success. Before 0.18, when I tried, I couldn't do it at all, but when I tried it in 0.18, I seemed to understand how to dock easily.

I am in the same boat. KSP held so much potential and yet I couldn't get a circular orbit. luckily mechjeb was there to teach me. The only thing I still like about mechjeb is the Smart A.S.S that points your ship in the direction you want.

Hopefully when career mode comes along and we have astronaut training facility, we can train our kerbals to point the ship in different directions.

I tried to do most things without mechjeb before I let it autopilot for me. With the exception of targeted precision landings and interplanetary transfer windows (which I technically learned from Romfarer's mod but mechjeb 2 now times everything for me).

I still let mechjeb land for me occasionally, as it saves so much fuel and is a lot quicker and safer. But I have done rescue missions without mechjeb for landing, it was just very stressful :) I also let mechjeb do all rocket ascents from Kerbin -- they've become a bit boring and routine at this point.

Docking is something I've always done manually, if I use mechjeb it is only for Par-. The times I tried to let it dock automatically ended up wasting huge amounts of fuel and it took ages for something I could have done in a few minutes.

Edited by maackey

The reason why some people (and I say some, I'm not imply those people who just GOT MechJEB) do not see MechJEB as a teacher, is because they simply see MechJEB as "something that does a task for them", like a servant or slave, and they don't see MechJEB as a teacher. Some just punch up MechJEB and then go to the kitchen to make a sandwich or watch their favorite TV show, or just "do something useful" while MechJEB "...does the boring stuff...".

Well I have a different take on MechJEB, and this is probably the third time I will mention it here in the KSP forums. MechJEB has been my CFI (certified flight instructor). I started KSP with 0.18.3 demo, but back then I didn't really take it seriously, I always thought of KSP as a "wannabe cartoon Orbiter" (http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk). But when I got 0.19, and saw the new features, I really began to be engaged in it. I never used MechJEB until the point that I started to fiddle around with interplanetary trips, because back in Orbiter, we had MFDs (multifunction displays) for those kinds of voyages, and when I learned about MechJEB, it was the closest thing I could have to the Align MFD, the Transfer MFD or TransX. But, instead of letting MechJEB pilot my stack and me ignoring it, I observed everything that MechJEB did while doing its thing. And pretty soon, it became predictive, and thus even without MechJEB, I started to realize I can do those manuevers myself, provided that my initial steps to get to that point were executed precisely and efficiently.

So I'll always see MechJEB as a flight instructor, more than just an automatic pilot.

... I observed everything that MechJEB did while doing its thing.

Quoted for truth.

I used MJ like nobodies business for about 2 weeks. Since 0.2 I've been running stock and just prior to that, I was doing everything myself.

Once I saw MechJeb perform a Hohmann transfer a few times, I finally got the concept. After a while, I would just put on my ship in the VAB for TWR stats. Now I don't even have it installed and use Engineer Redux for the stats I need. I removed the temptation and learned to pilot myself and feel the better for it.

Now, if MJ had a sexy voice like the HAL9000, my life would be complete. "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't let you do that", is all I hear in my head while I have MJ running and I'm trying to do something manually. Derp.

I will use MJ like a filthy whore again one day, but only to satisfy my needs when the time comes. For now, I've kicked her to the curb.

So I'll always see MechJEB as a flight instructor, more than just an automatic pilot.

Another quote for truth! It's good to see someone else who uses MechJeb as an instructional aid. I was delighted to see MJ2 so tightly integrated into the manoeuvre node system. By observing how it laid out flight paths, I was able to better understand the nuances of the node system and can use it with much greater precision now.

Couldn't agree with this thread more. MechJeb is not only a tool ,it IS actually an instructor if you watch it go. Like the OP I started a few days before the release of .19 and I had no idea how to do stuff. Orbital mechanics were very dark to me. I Wanted to build a station but I had a lot of trouble getting to orbit. found out about MechJeb, installed it, watched it do the stuff and then one day I just found myself playing perfectly without it. I went from noob to accurate player by watching MechJeb go. I still use it regularly when I don't feel like piloting, but I don't go do something else in between, I watch. Excepted the times I launch something already tested and working perfectly, then it gets repetitive and I go downstairs make myself a coffee and come back to assist to the circularization, but nothing more. I'll be studying astronomy in a year and a half and I just love space, and what I love about this game is that I can just roam around and see stuff. Piloting is fun, but it's probably 5% of my fun source. MechJeb is a tool that has multiple uses, it shouldn't be widely considered as a cheat around the forums as it is right now.

I've never used it, I'm frightened I'll rely on it too much and remove the challenge for the sake of getting things done quickly.

My low orbit space station around Kerbin is a much loved jem simply because of how many failed attempts it took me to get up there.

I've never used it, I'm frightened I'll rely on it too much and remove the challenge for the sake of getting things done quickly.

My low orbit space station around Kerbin is a much loved jem simply because of how many failed attempts it took me to get up there.

No one is forcing you to downlosd it anyway, and neither to use it if you do ^^ You are free to use it as your will. It's a powerful tool, it can be useful in some situations. And don't worry, if you're afraid to rely too heavily on it you won't. Maybe you'll find utilities to it you hadn't though of before, but in the end it's up to you! :)

You can't judge something unless you've tried it. Additionally, you can't get over the fear of something, if you don't confront what you're afraid of.

You are only as smart as your teachers were. That's why i still think "world" (own experiences while interacting with said world) is the best teacher as you'll learn the most and will be able to do anything!

This is only a game, and if somebody have less time MJ would be probably the fastest learning option. But if you have the time and dedication, finding things on your own is the best and most fun experience in KSP IMHO.

Cheers!

So, I'm a relatively new player. Started pretty much with the release of .19.

I had aspirations to build stations and Mun bases but could not for the life of me get my ships out into orbit. So, I went online and quickly ran into mechjeb and added into my game and pretty much autopiloted everything.

With the release of .20, I decided to do away with mods, especially mechjeb, and do everything from stock.

To my surprise, I could easily get things into orbit/the mun, as well as rendezvous and dock without much of a problem, despite having mechjeb do it all before.

I can't explain it, really. Probably watching mechjeb piloting things several odd hundred times has imbeded how to do it manually in my brain.

Of course, there are still things to work on, like landing things more accurately on the Mun.

Anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Completely with you on this one. I love space and Sci-fi, but I'm not a hardcore astrophysicist like some of the gifted members here, so mechjeb taught me a lot about not only how to fly, get to the Mun etc, but it also taught me about terminology of space travel etc that I just never had the chance to learn before, or never had it presented in a way that was fun to learn as well.

Same here, i used too play alot just with MJ, and by watching MJ i learned alot..

Nowerdays i dont even have MJ installed anymore, and do things or by Remote Tech flight computer, or completely by hand.

Docking and such i just do by hand, i use alot less monopropellant too get it docked..

And due the fact i dont use MJ that can even bring the most unstable un balanced rocket into orbit, i really have too watch my designs on controllability and stability..

Whats adds imho a whole new aspect too the game..

great mod, I almost quit after to many crash, it was fun to experiment, but mechjeb is a great tool for begainers, best mod by far and has push the modding bar a bit

Agreed, I still slap mech on all my parts, but use it a lot less for for many things thanks to all it has taught me about different orbits, timings, etc.

Def a thumbs up to it's creators, and of course to Jeb for donating his brain! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.