Your favorite Free/Cheap program?

3_bit

This is a thread to share those lesser-known games/programs (besides KSP) that are free/cheap, so that those of us who don't have time to search the entire internet and it's billions of pages don't have to.

My favorite program of all time would be CEDAR Logic, a TTL logic graphical simulator. I built a few 2-bit machines and am currently working on a bare transistor-only (with the exception of JK flip flops) computer. Y52uvjY.png

http://cedarlogic.scienceontheweb.net/

Did I mention it's open-source?

OpenTTD is awesome, though I tend to get really disoriented with all the mods available.

I think for me it would be Irfanview - great little image manager / editing tool with batch resizing support.

As far as games go, a few of the ones I've enjoyed over the years:

• UFO: Alien Invasion - Open source turn-based tactics that takes a lot of inspiration from the original X-COM.
  • Oolite - Remake of Elite, the granddaddy of pretty much every science-fiction space trader / fighter simulation out there.
  • Iji - Free metroidvania-style 2D platformer / shooter.
  • Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries - A Giant Robot Pilot Is You. Originally a commercial release, now free.
  • The Ur-Quan Masters - Free remake of Star Control II.
  • WinSP:MBT / WinSP:WW2 - Free ports of a pair of fanmade expansions to Steel Panthers II, a turn-based modern wargame in the style of old Avalon Hill tabletop games (complete with hex grids).
  • Yume Nikki - Surreal dreamworld exploration thing. Hard to describe. Very Japanese, very macabre.
  • Warning Forever - 2D shoot-em-up where the bosses adapt to your tactics each time you beat one.
  • Marathon - What people on the Mac had instead of Doom. The designers later went on to create the Halo franchise. Currently free.
  • King of Dragon Pass - A Fantasy-Viking Tribe Is You, set in the Rune Quest world. I think it's the only non-free game I've got on the list, but I remember it being less than $5 US. A bit old, but still awesome, and there isn't much out like it these days.

Inkscape, GIMP, SysInternals, Avast, Cygwin, and Search Everything.

The latter is really great for when you KNOW that file is on your computer SOMEWHERE, and you aren't willing to wait half a millenia for Windows Search to do its thing. Also supports regular expression searches.

I'll throw another one in for Irfanview. I mostly just use it for cropping and converting between file formats, for which it is perfect. I also enjoy playing around with some of the other settings, making it a program that perfectly matches my needs.

Team Fortress 2, It's a great FPS, and it offers a new perspective to these. It's very cartooney and I love it. :P

That hat simulator sucks.

EDIT:

OT:

Powder toy, Avagadro, Starmade, Red Alert: A Path Beyond, Tiberian Sun: Reborn, ect...

TF2 is the best hat sim since forever. And I'm getting Game dev tycoon soonTM.

Edit: Greenheart Games(the maker of Game dev tycoon) did something very unusual because they pirated their own game, with a twist, the cracked version the peoples games would get pirated.

Edited by Mach56

A quick list:

* Race Into Space (used to be Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space -- now open-source)

* The Ur-Quan Masters -- used to be Star Control 2 (now open-source)

* Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura -- cheap on GOG, though not free

* FreeOrion -- it's really coming into its own, is free, and is almost as fun as Masters of Orion 2 (which is also cheap on GOG)

* Orbiter

* Space Engine

* Science Girls

* A whole bunch of roguelikes, which I really like because they are usually free and are amazingly deep with a little applied imagination -- including Liberal Crime Squad, PrincessRL, Privateer: ASCII Sector, ASCII Portal, DoomRL, DiabloRL, X@COM, Brogue, Dwarf Fortress, and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

That's more than enough for now.

Edited by Nikolai
Fixed broken italics tag and some repetition

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.