So I tried landing on Jool...

Stealth2668

...then things got explody when I was close to landing. It was a long wait to descend too and I was happy about my first successful interplanetary trip but I guess it wasn't successful after all :(

Why does your ship explode?

Jool isn't made of solid ground, it's made of gas, like Jupiter. Attempting to land on Jool normally ends with a Kraken attack, because you can't descend into Jool forever until you reach its core.

In the gas giants, if you survived the atmospheric pressure somehow, you would land in a liquid layer before reaching the solid core.

I think that one of the devs made a little platform on Jool which was solid. But you can't land other places than there.

This requires investigating!

Anyone have a picture? Surely this would be a challenge? :D

...then things got explody when I was close to landing. It was a long wait to descend too and I was happy about my first successful interplanetary trip but I guess it wasn't successful after all :(

Why does your ship explode?

Just slap on pressure and temperature sensors... then you will know why you go boom. You get melted and then crushed.

Oh yeah, and I posted an image that point out that you actually hit the clouds and go boom lol...

Y45VFpO.png

Edited by NeoMorph

Just sent a little atmospheric probe (12 parts, 0.11 tons) to Jool, because why not? Recorded some info that probably explains why Jool is evil. Started recording with the parachute deployed, so all velocity is vertical. And for the duration of it, ACC was 00.79G and GRAV was 07.78m/s^2.

24 kilometers up: Surface velocity 45.0m/s. Pressure was 1.3147 atmospheres. Temperature was 407.36 degrees.

20 kilometers up: Surface velocity 36.3m/s. Pressure was 2.0212 atmospheres. Temperature was 505.37 degrees.

14 kilometers up: Surface velocity 26.8m/s. Pressure was 3.6883 atmospheres. Temperature was 648.06 degrees.

10 Kilometers up: Surface velocity 22.0m/s. Pressure was 5.5063 atmospheres. Temperature was 746.30 degrees.

6 kilometers up: Surface velocity 17.9m/s. Pressure was 8.2410 atmospheres. Temperature was 847.33 degrees.

3 kilometers up: Surface velocity 15.5m/s. Pressure was 11.1169 atmospheres. Temperature was 923.33 degrees.

1 kilometer up: Surface velocity 14.0m/s. Pressure was 13.5948 atmospheres. Temperature was 975.31 degrees.

500 meters up: Surface velocity 13.6m/s. Pressure was 14.2704 atmospheres. Temperature was 987.83 degrees.

Probe destroyed immediately after the 500m recording.

Good god, dat temperature and pressure.

So did I try to land on the only planet/moon that you can't actually land on?

/facepalm...

Jool behaves strangely. You can land an airship anchor on it.

qLGX4FW.jpg

However stuff blow up at -100 meter who is the actual ground.

5T9heU6.jpg

Here an probe who hit -100 meter and get destroyed.

On the other hand stuff might survive, I dropped the decent pod and other stuff before leaving and it survived -100 meter crash. But then I switched to to it, it jumped around a bit and was destroyed.

It look like its not an plain collision/ destruction zone but something different.

Just sent a little atmospheric probe (12 parts, 0.11 tons) to Jool, because why not? Recorded some info that probably explains why Jool is evil. Started recording with the parachute deployed, so all velocity is vertical. And for the duration of it, ACC was 00.79G and GRAV was 07.78m/s^2.

24 kilometers up: Surface velocity 45.0m/s. Pressure was 1.3147 atmospheres. Temperature was 407.36 degrees.

20 kilometers up: Surface velocity 36.3m/s. Pressure was 2.0212 atmospheres. Temperature was 505.37 degrees.

14 kilometers up: Surface velocity 26.8m/s. Pressure was 3.6883 atmospheres. Temperature was 648.06 degrees.

10 Kilometers up: Surface velocity 22.0m/s. Pressure was 5.5063 atmospheres. Temperature was 746.30 degrees.

6 kilometers up: Surface velocity 17.9m/s. Pressure was 8.2410 atmospheres. Temperature was 847.33 degrees.

3 kilometers up: Surface velocity 15.5m/s. Pressure was 11.1169 atmospheres. Temperature was 923.33 degrees.

1 kilometer up: Surface velocity 14.0m/s. Pressure was 13.5948 atmospheres. Temperature was 975.31 degrees.

500 meters up: Surface velocity 13.6m/s. Pressure was 14.2704 atmospheres. Temperature was 987.83 degrees.

Data is good.

The Galileo probe dropped into Jupiter's atmosphere probably ceased working when its electronics got overheated before it actually got crushed by the pressure.

Funnily enough, I've just finished a Jool probe ship that'll get 3 Kerbals into the atmosphere, and able to stick around for a while and do some science. I was going to give them walkways too, but for some reason Kerbals can't walk on ships that aren't on the ground, or at least not with my build.

In another save, I did manage to get a Kerbal onto it's surface and by timing pressing the esc key right and returning to the space centre, I was able to see them as landed on Jool, even though they were kraken food.

How do you record data like this?

How did you did this?! I dropped 20 probes into it! And no landed! And they were maked for high gravity landings.

I have no idea, honestly. I was trying to aerobrake from interplanetary velocity, but my periapsis was just a bit too low. When I realised that no amount of burning would get me back up, I figured, what the hell, let's see what happens. I transferred the remaining fuel from the nuclear engine to the lander's fuel tanks, and tried to bring it down normally. I hadn't added parachutes to the lander at that point, so all I had were my three 24-77s. I managed to bring my vertical velocity down, and then MechJeb told me I was below sea level, and the camera angled sharply upwards (which you can see in the second screenshot) and I touched down. I actually fired up the engines and got back above sea level, then touched down again, safely. I was utterly flabbergasted. I haven't tried taking Lowin on EVA yet (and I probably never will, I do plan on bringing a friend to try that at some point though), but even going back to the tracking station and loading it worked fine. It gets mach effects applied before physics are loaded, but it's completely normal otherwise, perfectly stable.

In the gas giants, if you survived the atmospheric pressure somehow, you would land in a liquid layer before reaching the solid core.

Correct, although referring to the liquid as a "layer" is misleading, as it implies it's discrete from the atmosphere. It's not that there's an ocean underneath the atmosphere; it's that as you get far enough in, the pressure gets so high that the atmospheric gas becomes liquid. There's not a sudden, clear transition between the "gas" area of the atmosphere and the "liquid" area; it's a turbulent boundary where slight local differences in temperature and pressure can make the liquid area go quite a bit higher or lower. It's sort of like an ice cube in a glass of water; the water right next to the cube is right above the freezing temperature, and the ice just on the other side of the boundary is just below the freezing temperature. There's a similar setup in the Earth's molten interior; it's not that the molten rock acts like water, it's that the temperature and pressure are so high that the solid rock can flow.

So if you were descending through a gas giant, as you approached the liquid area, you'd be moving through gas that was so dense and so cold that it'd act almost like a liquid; you might not even notice when you actually transition into the liquid itself. Of course, as we've said, you'd be crushed LONG before that point, so it's all academic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.