Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

Yeah I actually thought I had removed the width settings for that reason.

As for the inverted controls, are you placing the tracks from the left side or right side of the craft?

that's what i thought too i'll test it when i get home but i'm pretty sure that i put them all on the left side (because when you "revert to SPH" it goes to the left side by default. anyway i love the procedrial tracks idea and seeing it half complete is awesome (it might have shown up because i got "tweakable everything" on))

Please include a texture-reduction file so that we who use ALL THE MODS can use the glory that is tracks?

The entire mod so far is only 6meg, Im not sure how much space a texture reduction pack will save. But keep in mind that the new pack will use better optimised textures.

that's what i thought too i'll test it when i get home but i'm pretty sure that i put them all on the left side (because when you "revert to SPH" it goes to the left side by default. anyway i love the procedrial tracks idea and seeing it half complete is awesome (it might have shown up because i got "tweakable everything" on))

Try placing them from the right side instead for now. I guess that's what I get for trying to avoid math.

For the newest sets, I went back to texturing school for a couple days. Did some test materials on the little tracks, and they look puurrrdy now. (This is not the final material, but an example of the newer texturing quality).

Images right out of Unity with a KSP shader.

b82dacf3788707f5905ccc86b7d2a4bb.png

bbf10815324b34e83110f05d29c365c6.png

Or you could just install Linux and run 64-bit KSP and enjoy all the mods :).
The entire mod so far is only 6meg, Im not sure how much space a texture reduction pack will save. But keep in mind that the new pack will use better optimised textures.
Or you can use active memory reduction.

I meant the file for the active texture-reduction mod.

And no, my computer is insecure enough, thanks.

Well sometimes a wire likes to feel flashy and special. You never know, it might be his birthday, he deserves to feel special.
Those bright blue wires really do look awful though. Please reconsider.

I think the blue wires look alright. Given the "realistic!kerbal" sort of style you're using, they look like the kind of bright blue wires you'd choose if you wanted to make sure they weren't getting jammed in the mechanism, if they're electrical or pneumatic. Also they're on the inside and will be barely visible in play.

How will it be possible to have an opening under the launch vehicle? (It might sound to be a dumb question but with separate modular parts (stock or mod) I could never get it done properly.)

I guess with creative vehicles it could be done. But I dont fully understand what you're trying to do.

The hole on the crawler housing the F-1 engines for example until launch.

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/102/012/10201293_640.jpg

I see what you mean. Frizzank is working on a launch tower for the platform set, I'm not sure if that would require the opening or not. In any case, if its really worth adding extra parts for that, I'll probably do so for an update.

I see what you mean. Frizzank is working on a launch tower for the platform set, I'm not sure if that would require the opening or not. In any case, if its really worth adding extra parts for that, I'll probably do so for an update.

I think to make an opening like this would require one large part with a hole in the middle since we cannot make a 'closed cycle' part tree in KSP because you only can attach one single node to another and in this case one part of the platform should have to be attached to two other so they can form the hole. Wow this was one long sentence. Of course it's only essential in real life but it would still look very weird in-game.

Since the crawler is made out of modular blocks you could just not put the blocks in the middle and put a ring around them, but I am not sure how you would attach the crawler to the rocket in a balanced fashion without some part being in the middle.

Since the crawler is made out of modular blocks you could just not put the blocks in the middle and put a ring around them, but I am not sure how you would attach the crawler to the rocket in a balanced fashion without some part being in the middle.

or you could make a block with your FASA redstone clamp on the bottom HINT HINT XD

i was thinking about this and it just occured to me if you make a section/block of the crawler like the redstone clamp (in the FASA launch towers pack) then it would act like a hole AND a clamp. killing two birds with one stone...

also BUGS! here's some pics.

5OkvCTD.jpg

IGz26J6.png

if you see the big tracks start off by going from 0 to 80 within seconds but as soon as you put the breaks on them calm down to around 5m/s (which is a nice speed for them) oh also once the breaks are put on if you put em off the tracks just go up to 5m/s and that's it, also they can power through the breaks. meaning they can keep going (if you press forward) with the breaks on.

also i'm getting the dbg things on my tracks... what do THEY do?

Edited by AntiMatter001

or you could make a block with your FASA redstone clamp on the bottom HINT HINT XD

i was thinking about this and it just occured to me if you make a section/block of the crawler like the redstone clamp (in the FASA launch towers pack) then it would act like a hole AND a clamp. killing two birds with one stone...

also BUGS! here's some pics.

http://i.imgur.com/5OkvCTD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IGz26J6.png

if you see the big tracks start off by going from 0 to 80 within seconds but as soon as you put the breaks on them calm down to around 5m/s (which is a nice speed for them) oh also once the breaks are put on if you put em off the tracks just go up to 5m/s and that's it, also they can power through the breaks. meaning they can keep going (if you press forward) with the breaks on.

also i'm getting the dbg things on my tracks... what do THEY do?

Sounds like that's just a problem with the torgue curve. And the problem with the brakes not actually braking can be fixed by increasing brakingTorque in the part cfg.

Sounds like that's just a problem with the torgue curve. And the problem with the brakes not actually braking can be fixed by increasing brakingTorque in the part cfg.

ok could you explain how a torque curve works... i'm not quite sure given the information and the random vonfigs i've dipped into.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.