Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

ok could you explain how a torque curve works... i'm not quite sure given the information and the random vonfigs i've dipped into.

I'd actually like to know this too. All I know of is sets of numbers that make things fast, but dont really know how the numbers affect what. There is a good reason as to why I am neither an engineer or a programmer.

Think of the torque curve visually on a 2d line graph, with the first number (RPM) as the X axis and the second number (torque amount) as the Y axis.

If the tracks can push through the brakes, brake torque is either too low or the torque is too high at that RPM. The tracks feeling sluggish after using the brakes is a bug I keep fixing and somehow reintroducing, where rolling resistance is not properly set on start. The dbg stuff is messy development leftovers for suspension to try to find proper suspension values.

Think of the torque curve visually on a 2d line graph, with the first number (RPM) as the X axis and the second number (torque amount) as the Y axis.

If the tracks can push through the brakes, brake torque is either too low or the torque is too high at that RPM. The tracks feeling sluggish after using the brakes is a bug I keep fixing and somehow reintroducing, where rolling resistance is not properly set on start. The dbg stuff is messy development leftovers for suspension to try to find proper suspension values.

hmm figure out how much the breaking torque is to the RPM and you've got one track done and dusted... lol yeah right.

"squash one bug just to produce 12 more!" - qouted by some guy in a book idk the title of.

also "he opened the present and looked down. to his utter astonishment the robot had given him a hat!" - some severed guys head.

Maybe some of the stuff from the tweakable wheels and gear mod could be useful for the torque and breaking aspects of the tracks.

i have them. but the tracks arn't in the MM .cfg so they don'ty get configured. same with all other non stock wheels.

oh i may have to resign from testing... for some reason if i get back into ANY vessel i get spun out of control... i thought it was mechjeb (it kept "pinging off") but it isn't :/ i'm stumped (grounded) till i get this fixed sorry.

well... i think i found it... it's RPM or KAS... great... jusssssst great....

Edited by AntiMatter001

i have them. but the tracks arn't in the MM .cfg so they don'ty get configured. same with all other non stock wheels.

oh i may have to resign from testing... for some reason if i get back into ANY vessel i get spun out of control... i thought it was mechjeb (it kept "pinging off") but it isn't :/ i'm stumped (grounded) till i get this fixed sorry.

Testing is to iron out these issues, otherwise there'd me large amounts of these kinda problems upon release.

Testing is to iron out these issues, otherwise there'd me large amounts of these kinda problems upon release.

ah no you misunderstand my good frien Mr.fox (lol) i didn'tmean any vessel with TRACKS i meant ANY vessel. even with stock they seem to HATE having kerbals pop in and out... they just go "sure your out" and when you try boarding "hi and BOOM million pieces" i'll try looking through the output log to figure out what's the problem tomorrow. but right now i need sleep zzzz

ah no you misunderstand my good frien Mr.fox (lol) i didn'tmean any vessel with TRACKS i meant ANY vessel. even with stock they seem to HATE having kerbals pop in and out... they just go "sure your out" and when you try boarding "hi and BOOM million pieces" i'll try looking through the output log to figure out what's the problem tomorrow. but right now i need sleep zzzz

Seems your kerbals have developed a case of exploditis.

Seems your kerbals have developed a case of exploditis.

yeah... it was bugging me before but i put it up to bad luck... it could be a number of things (KJR,KAS,RPM(RPM is one of the new ones)and etc...) well i guess i'll load mod at a time till i find one that makes it explode again -sigh-

EDIT: good news! it seems i found one that gives me less explode chances so i'll still be testing but i may just test the tracks on a non modded KSP save. just to be safe

Unfortunately you missed the chance to become a tester.

i was just about to type "hey 4 heads make better than 3" but then again if i followed that rule you'd have too much junk info...

(this is why i usually post the other testers first to see if they have reported the same bug already... or not... depending on my mood :P)

It still looks too dark. It looks like coal. Or is it because of Sketchfab?

I think the dark gray of the wheels are better suited for the tracks.

The tracks are a little dark, but theyre rubber, the rest seems quite light on my screens. I have just enabled the glossiness on the sketchfab version, its a bit closer to how it'd look in KSP, might help a little.

Sure, if it's ok with electronicfox?

I see no reason why not. In fact, I can provide the UV layouts later for people who want to completely re-texture the older models. I have no issues with people modifying the track models, so long as credit is given to their original creator (me).

Please, I have asked this question with to many variables within the reply.

1) For the love of god please figure out, or write what ever is necessary to allow adjustments to spring and dampening rates. PLEASE. Its something I just can not understand why the KSP folks would have blocked intentionally. Without the ability to make simple cfg edits on brake, forward, spring and dampening rates, it becomes almost impossible to build functioning trailers, or create our own separate sizes of a specific loved wheel set or track. We really need this ability so they can handle different loads and respond accordingly. If you can do this you will have my vote....doesn't mean anything, but you will have it regardless.

Thx for reviving this incredibly useful mod(With those adjustments).........:rolleyes:

Great thx from Oregon...Dren

I forgot to mention some of the new modeling looks Amazing.

Edited by ArkaelDren
Just not enough thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.