Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

Please, I have asked this question with to many variables within the reply.

1) For the love of god please figure out, or write what ever is necessary to allow adjustments to spring and dampening rates. PLEASE. Its something I just can not understand why the KSP folks would have blocked intentionally. Without the ability to make simple cfg edits on brake, forward, spring and dampening rates, it becomes almost impossible to build functioning trailers, or create our own separate sizes of a specific loved wheel set or track. We really need this ability so they can handle different loads and respond accordingly. If you can do this you will have my vote....doesn't mean anything, but you will have it regardless.

Thx for reviving this incredibly useful mod(With those adjustments).........:rolleyes:

Great thx from Oregon...Dren

Most of the wheel parameters are not in any script, but in the wheelcolliders within unity. 6.forty has been attempting variable suspension within unity so far, but to very odd results. I am hoping we can get these sets to become fully editable by the users, but this is not a guarantee.

Please, I have asked this question with to many variables within the reply.

1) For the love of god please figure out, or write what ever is necessary to allow adjustments to spring and dampening rates. PLEASE. Its something I just can not understand why the KSP folks would have blocked intentionally. Without the ability to make simple cfg edits on brake, forward, spring and dampening rates, it becomes almost impossible to build functioning trailers, or create our own separate sizes of a specific loved wheel set or track. We really need this ability so they can handle different loads and respond accordingly. If you can do this you will have my vote....doesn't mean anything, but you will have it regardless.

Thx for reviving this incredibly useful mod(With those adjustments).........:rolleyes:

Great thx from Oregon...Dren

I forgot to mention some of the new modeling looks Amazing.

i know your frustrated about this but why don't you just get tweakable wheels? the treads aren't TREADS they're BIG INVISIBLE WHEELS but with tracks as an image over the wheel. (looks like a track but is just one wheel) tweakable wheels works for these tracks so get it. it's not electricfoxs responsiblity to provide that but he might take it into consideration.

not trying to be rude here i'm just saying electricfox and 6.forty are great guys/modders and there's already a mod out there fro tweaking breaks and turning speed. check it out then report back i think tweakable wheels will help you a lil.

i know your frustrated about this but why don't you just get tweakable wheels? the treads aren't TREADS they're BIG INVISIBLE WHEELS but with tracks as an image over the wheel. (looks like a track but is just one wheel) tweakable wheels works for these tracks so get it. it's not electricfoxs responsiblity to provide that but he might take it into consideration.

not trying to be rude here i'm just saying electricfox and 6.forty are great guys/modders and there's already a mod out there fro tweaking breaks and turning speed. check it out then report back i think tweakable wheels will help you a lil.

I'll say youre almost right with the nature of the tracks, except that every guide and drive wheel that touches the ground in the tracks have their own corresponding wheel collider (their own physical wheel). The fact that they have several wheels each may cause some oddities with tweakables, but I have never used the tweakable plugin myself so I dont know.

I'll say youre almost right with the nature of the tracks, except that every guide and drive wheel that touches the ground in the tracks have their own corresponding wheel collider (their own physical wheel). The fact that they have several wheels each may cause some oddities with tweakables, but I have never used the tweakable plugin myself so I dont know.

whoops i should of added a "correct me if i'm wrong" and indeed i was sorry for saying false things.

on another note i haven't unlocked the tracks in career... i'm wondering if i forgot to add "Techneeded = etc" ... maybe i have... ah...

Nah, sometimes I come off sounding(text) a bit pushy, its the lack of expression more than anything else. I'm from a bit older generation and I have yet to figure out a good constant way of saying **** without sounding like I'm a bit pissed off. But thx for the tips, I think the spring rate and dampening are really more my hopes and dreams, due to the needed weight variations. I have no problem with understanding the torque curves within the cfg's, i merely added that in, due to it being so nice and simple with Bobcats rovers. Guys I sure hope you didn't take my comments as being non appreciative, that is completely not the case. I will say people should take into account that the internet has allowed every one, from every culture, to be able to communicate this way. Its very easy to misunderstand the ways that people deal with each other, due to it being in a text format.

looking forward to your finished product.

As always thx for the hard work...Dren

Most of the wheel parameters are not in any script, but in the wheelcolliders within unity. 6.forty has been attempting variable suspension within unity so far, but to very odd results. I am hoping we can get these sets to become fully editable by the users, but this is not a guarantee.

That's the answer I was looking for. I never could get it into my head, that the KSP folks would do something, that would stop the modding community, from allowing their fan base to adjust these settings. Its really to bad that Unity decided to make an alteration that took this away from us. Truth, its complete BS, but I hope their was a very specific, valid reason they felt this change was needed.

Oh bugger. The new 23.5 update seems to have completely borked the old tracks :(, i can no longer turn on the spot and the torgue seems to be acting strangely.:confused:

Anyone else having problems with the new update?

yep the dev build is acting up too

Nah, sometimes I come off sounding(text) a bit pushy, its the lack of expression more than anything else. I'm from a bit older generation and I have yet to figure out a good constant way of saying **** without sounding like I'm a bit pissed off. But thx for the tips, I think the spring rate and dampening are really more my hopes and dreams, due to the needed weight variations. I have no problem with understanding the torque curves within the cfg's, i merely added that in, due to it being so nice and simple with Bobcats rovers. Guys I sure hope you didn't take my comments as being non appreciative, that is completely not the case. I will say people should take into account that the internet has allowed every one, from every culture, to be able to communicate this way. Its very easy to misunderstand the ways that people deal with each other, due to it being in a text format.

looking forward to your finished product.

As always thx for the hard work...Dren

i know i ask this alot (sorry) but uhm could you possibly tell me what you know about torque curves (i'm trying to make some tracks of my own... *cough cough*) also what's this about bobcats rovers and torque curves? wait are we talking DEMV rovers? if so is there a fix?

I'd rather be able to use the tracks than use the new ARM update so i'll still be using .23 for the time being. Here's hoping it doesn't push the release back to much though.

I'm quite loving the new update (I have me a class E in LKO, and am building a lovely base on that mammoth), and am hoping to have the plugin fixed for this version. I also had an idea for small sticky-tracks to use on asteroids, but I'm not sure how possible this is yet.

i know i ask this alot (sorry) but uhm could you possibly tell me what you know about torque curves (i'm trying to make some tracks of my own... *cough cough*) also what's this about bobcats rovers and torque curves? wait are we talking DEMV rovers? if so is there a fix?

Do you know the layout of the torgue curves?

Now unless i've completely misunderstood something this is how the tracks torgue curves are setup:

TorqueCurve (Mark Three)

{

key = -300 1.0 - Reverse RPM & Torgue

key = -70 6 - Reverse RPM & Torgue

key = 0 18 - Idle RPM & Torgue

key = 70 6 - Forward RPM & Torgue

key = 200 3.4 - Forward RPM & Torgue

key = 800 1.0 - Forward RPM & Torgue

}

Do you know the layout of the torgue curves?

Now unless i've completely misunderstood something this is how the tracks torgue curves are setup:

TorqueCurve (Mark Three)

{

key = -300 1.0 - Reverse RPM & Torgue

key = -70 6 - Reverse RPM & Torgue

key = 0 18 - Idle RPM & Torgue

key = 70 6 - Forward RPM & Torgue

key = 200 3.4 - Forward RPM & Torgue

key = 800 1.0 - Forward RPM & Torgue

}

KNEW IT! ha ha! sorry. i had one of those "you know what it is but when someone else agrees you think your awesome" moments. thanks!

EDIT: oops nvm

That is correct for the torque curves. But the new plugin does not use separate values for reverse while the old plugin does. Torque at 400 RPM is torque at 400 RPM regardless of direction.

As far as I can tell, any problems directly from 0.23.5 have been fixed simply by recompiling. Some others have been fixed by actual fixing and were present regardless. If you're testing and haven't already, grab the newest build. There is now an "Invert" toggle for tracks, to give them a proper sense of direction in life. Dual tracks have this as well for multi-track platforms.

And that whole drifting to one side problem, that seems to happen in KSP with anything with wheels? Yeah, I've had enough of that.. it doesn't happen here anymore.

That is correct for the torque curves. But the new plugin does not use separate values for reverse while the old plugin does. Torque at 400 RPM is torque at 400 RPM regardless of direction.

As far as I can tell, any problems directly from 0.23.5 have been fixed simply by recompiling. Some others have been fixed by actual fixing and were present regardless. If you're testing and haven't already, grab the newest build. There is now an "Invert" toggle for tracks, to give them a proper sense of direction in life. Dual tracks have this as well for multi-track platforms.

And that whole drifting to one side problem, that seems to happen in KSP with anything with wheels? Yeah, I've had enough of that.. it doesn't happen here anymore.

Out of curiosity, where is the newest build?

It's looks like KSP torque are far too much, for example, you can do a "trackie" (the wheelie on tracks :P) very easily with a 40t vehicle. If you look at some military documentary about battletanks, especially modern ones, we don't see such behaviour.

It would be great to be able to throttle up to max without worrying about doing a looping.

Can't you release the dev build public like the mechjeb dev builds? surely you'd find more bugs that way as well as enable me to use these amazing tracks in 23.5 :D

I have been considering this approach, although we are finding quite the number of bugs with the few testers we currently have. What I'm thinking is to keep the current testing system until the plugin is at least a little more stable/closer to finish, then release the dev build to everyone (with heavy warnings about the nature of dev builds). As it is right now, we can find all the major bugs with few testers, although the smaller finicky ones will very likely require larger amounts of testers to find.

I have been considering this approach, although we are finding quite the number of bugs with the few testers we currently have. What I'm thinking is to keep the current testing system until the plugin is at least a little more stable/closer to finish, then release the dev build to everyone (with heavy warnings about the nature of dev builds). As it is right now, we can find all the major bugs with few testers, although the smaller finicky ones will very likely require larger amounts of testers to find.

How many major hurdles remain before release? Just a guess

Adjusting the torque curve to something more in line with real life would.. should.. fix that. Such as a low torque value at zero RPM, rather than zero RPM being peak torque.

Maybe, maybe not. There are a bunch of issues getting things to behave more realistically. One thing lacking is mass. A lot of KSP crafts are built from aircraft parts, which simply don't have enough mass. If you want something to behave like it's 40 tons, make it 40 tons. Then tune the wheels/tracks to match. Too little torque it's sliding down hills, too much... pop a wheelie.

Unity wheels are the root of the problem, a bunch of variables that not too many people know how to tune properly - experienced people usually just avoid it all together and write their own wheel code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.