Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

It took an all-nighter, but I've just smashed out my own track plugin loosely based on the fantastic work in the original :D

Lots of finishing work still to do like brakes action group etc, but the track specific heavy-lifting is done and flexible enough to support a range of designs. I found it too hard to pick up the existing code (entirely due to my inexperience), and I wanted to rig things a little differently in Unity. I think you learn more when writing from scratch too, and debugging is always easier when it's your own code.

I'll post another demo vid once I've slept, tested and textured.

Tracks are coming back to KSP: shiny, new and .24 compatible out of the wooden crate!

Thanks again for open-sourcing.

Zzzzzzzzzzz..........

Thanks. Now I know what I'm doing I'll try and port over some of the existing models. The plugin doesn't have the bells and whistles yet (cruise control etc.), but functional tracks are now possible.

Looks awesome! My one complaint is that the suspension seems to bottom out fairly easily on those tracks you showed off in the videos. If you increased the spring on the wheel colliders (if you're using wheel colliders) that might help with that a little.

Thank you, it is time for tanks to roll~

Damn straight! I might take a bit of time out tonight to bung on some of the tasty parts from BahamutoD's armoury and go a tracked rampage with Jeb this eve ;)

I'd take the time to point out Infinite weapons already has a very nice tank turret already Not sure if it has been up dated yet or not. Used it in the past and enjoyed it before so it might be somefing to look at also. Looking forward to the tracks so that i can make my MLRS.

Edit: I was wrong, bahumotoD's made a tank turret so if you want to use that instead your welcome too.

Edited by Damaske

I'd take the time to point out Infinite weapons already has a very nice tank turret already Not sure if it has been up dated yet or not. Used it in the past and enjoyed it before so it might be somefing to look at also. Looking forward to the tracks so that i can make my MLRS.

Edit: I was wrong, bahumotoD's made a tank turret so if you want to use that instead your welcome too.

Cheers. I saw your post about the MLRS a while back, should be pretty cool.

Not to mention bahumotoD's got new turrets out. i think his stuff is gonna rival skillful's in the fact you don't need any special plugins to calculate damage

His work is always stunning - one of my favourite modders.

May you forgive me for my ignorance, but is there a place where I could find a ready to use version of the parts? I'm no modder and I'm a little lost with all those files, can someone indicate me to where I could find them?

Those were lost with spaceport, but lo-fi will be releasing his tracks with the next update to his Kerbal Foundires mod which should be today or tomorrow.

@mike9606

Oh, and nobody have any backup nor a functional pack? Shoot... :(

Well, thanks fot the info, I guess I'll wait for Kerbal Foundires to come out.

Well I have the files. If I figure out how I may be able to PM you them. I have no idea if they work with .24 though.

There was an update on curse pre .24 that someone had put up. Judging from the comments I don't think it was working too well, but it should be there if you want to try.

EDIT: i'm silly. didn't read.

good job so far lo-fi. keep it up please :( i want tracks so badly :(

Edited by AntiMatter001

Um...so is the issue that something broke in .24? I had these working fine for the last handful of versions without updating my files. Took some work, but after some adjusting of the cfgs the originals were usable.

Um...so is the issue that something broke in .24? I had these working fine for the last handful of versions without updating my files. Took some work, but after some adjusting of the cfgs the originals were usable.

I'm still using the Tracks.dll from .22 or .23 can't remember which. It was completely broken for me in .23.5 but now works fine again in .24.2 x64bit :)

Can someone tell me what folder 6forty's Trackar.dll is supposed to be in?

I'm still using the Tracks.dll from .22 or .23 can't remember which. It was completely broken for me in .23.5 but now works fine again in .24.2 x64bit :)

Can someone tell me what folder 6forty's Trackar.dll is supposed to be in?

pretty sure it was supposed to be put into GameData but if you have the original tracks.dll then it's supposed to overwrite it. (where ever that .dll is)

Weird, I think I was using at least the .22, if not older version and didn't have any problems. The only issue I did have was some of the tracks not being usable on Kerbin...but that's to be expected. Enough torque on Kerbin can be too much torque on other bodies. Discussed with some on the forums though and got everything to an acceptable level.

I've just released my version to alpha - link in the thread in my sig. Will see what I can do about porting some of the existing parts from the original mod at some point.

Thanks again for opening this up.

Edited by lo-fi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.