Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

Maybe, maybe not. There are a bunch of issues getting things to behave more realistically. One thing lacking is mass. A lot of KSP crafts are built from aircraft parts, which simply don't have enough mass. If you want something to behave like it's 40 tons, make it 40 tons. Then tune the wheels/tracks to match. Too little torque it's sliding down hills, too much... pop a wheelie.

Unity wheels are the root of the problem, a bunch of variables that not too many people know how to tune properly - experienced people usually just avoid it all together and write their own wheel code.

As far as the mass, the dual track part alone is 30t. The other tracks are 0.5, but also don't look like they should weigh more than half a ton either. My thinking on the torque curve is just based on a typical gas/diesel engine not putting out peak torque right off idle. I have a little trouble treating them like they're using electric motors, even though they do drain electric charge. But getting the right feel has definitely been a bit of a pain so far.

How many major hurdles remain before release? Just a guess

Right now, other than a few minor bugs that I am aware of (and who knows how many I'm *not* yet aware of) the major hurdle seems to be getting the single tracks to reliably automatically agree on a direction. Right now it's relying on a manual switch so that focus can be put on getting everything else ironed out.

I don't know if it's been asked already, but what are the prospects of compatability with this and the Skillful mod?

It would be awesome to put these tank treads on a, you know, tank.

or use the mobile launchpad tracks to make a rolling fortress, MWAAHAHAHAHAHA *ahem* so yeah stufflikethat.

I don't know if it's been asked already, but what are the prospects of compatability with this and the Skillful mod?

or use the mobile launchpad tracks to make a rolling fortress, MWAAHAHAHAHAHA *ahem* so yeah stufflikethat.

I see no reason as to why these wouldnt be compatible with any other mod.

You don't need Skillful to make tanks.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If i was using 0.23.5 the tracks wouldn't work. I don't have access to the dev builds ;.;

Whoops sorry i didn't mean to be an ass... as i'm saying this i'm being more of an ass sorry...

anyway i'm still using 0.23 (i NEED IR) i just thought you were in 0.23.5 sorry but anyway your tanks are awesome. i wish i could do something like that. it must of taken time and alot of in and out of pictures to get it like that (except the VTOL part. i gotta admit that part is awesome)

Whoops sorry i didn't mean to be an ass... as i'm saying this i'm being more of an ass sorry...

anyway i'm still using 0.23 (i NEED IR) i just thought you were in 0.23.5 sorry but anyway your tanks are awesome. i wish i could do something like that. it must of taken time and alot of in and out of pictures to get it like that (except the VTOL part. i gotta admit that part is awesome)

I'm sorry if my post sounded as if i was pi$$ed off, that wasn't my intention. :blush:

If anyone wants i can upload the tanks base and turret part cfg, they're made using part welder.

I'm sorry if my post sounded as if i was pi$$ed off, that wasn't my intention. :blush:

If anyone wants i can upload the tanks base and turret part cfg, they're made using part welder.

CRAP the weld tool/plugin doesn't work for me (some odd reason) but yeah that would be awesome also don't worry about sounding pissed off. it's a very common mistake cuz we're not talking in real life.

If anyone wants the welded tank parts you can get them here http://speedy.sh/tfvB3/Welded-Tank-Parts.7z

You'll need these mods for the parts to show:

Triangular Structural Plate - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69539-0-23-Stockalike-parts-for-useful-esthetics

AIES BAE-R Battery - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35383-0-23-AIES-Aerospace-v1-5-1

B9 Aerospace for the railings - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-20-2-b9-aerospace-pack-r3-1/

Due to a ksp bug with nodes you have to start with the tank base as the first part.

Have fun! :D

DnrIqRj.jpg

Edited by The Space Man

My little baby tracks are all growed up, all deadly and destroying things.

Makes a father proud.

Speaking of Deadly tracks. Eta for new sets to be launched? I would love to make a base using them.

I've mentioned before that I dont give ETA's. There are many reasons for this, the main one being that the rate of development on these is nowhere near consistent (there will be times when nothing is done for a little while) due to real-life commitments . So an accurate ETA is impossible to estimate.

I've mentioned before that I dont give ETA's. There are many reasons for this, the main one being that the rate of development on these is nowhere near consistent (there will be times when nothing is done for a little while) due to real-life commitments . So an accurate ETA is impossible to estimate.

I frogot you dont give etas. soz. but im gonna say within the next 3 months.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.