[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Alright, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I've been trying to use this plugin for the last two weeks, and I haven't had any luck getting it working yet.

I downloaded v3 off the main page, and currently it'll let me build any ship, despite the fact that I don't have the resources to do it. When I do spawn the ship, no resources are deducted.

How do I get this thing to work?

Update: Turns out debug mode was on for the new pad by default. Turned that off, and now the only problem I have is the absurdly high quantities for rocket parts requirements.

Edited by hubbazoot

hubbazout: disable debug in the pad's part.cfg. Note, however, that you will probably want this zip (source code, changes sent to skykooler). It is my latest dev version and has various improvements including all-ship fuel transfer (bypasses separators, fuel-lines, and KAS lines), and a correctly functioning recycler. Most importantly, it is quite possible to build craft with rocket parts storage, and you can adjust how much rocket parts are stored in the build craft).

It turns out Mihara's problems were caused by a bug on my part that caused an exception when there was no liquid fuel capacity on the built craft.

Be warned that wheeled* vehicles with wide-spread wheel bases may (probably will, depends on various factors) suffer the old exploding craft problem. Howevr, there is a workaround: use launch clamps to suspend the craft a little until physics has kicked in properly, then stage and recycle the launch clamps.

* tested only with RollKage wheels. Other brands may or may not be a problem

Excellent, thanks. I'm putting together a smaller refinery that'll have reduced output and efficiency to help people bootstrap. I'll publish it here.

I may also mod one of the kethane drills and see if animations work well with it, assuming the license will allow me to use it.

I may also mod one of the kethane drills and see if animations work well with it, assuming the license will allow me to use it.

I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to distribute Kethane parts, modded or otherwise.

Apologies if this has been discussed already in the previous 98 pages, but does this mod give the capability to disassemble ships for the RocketParts resource? I.e. can we recycle empty fuel canisters, broken ships in orbit, etc. for RocketParts or is launching containers from Kerbin the only way to get that resource (I exclude Kethane from this, assuming a vanilla install with only this mod)?

Ok so i tried to create a Kethane/Ore mining base without luck.

As i find it very hard to launch and land the stuff needed i need some advise.

Do i have to include all parts in one ship or atleast dock them toghether on the surface to be able to build rockets? What i would like is the possible to have some kind of proximity resource transfer.

Lets say i build one Ore miner, one melter, and one launchpad and landed these within lets say 100m. Could that work in any way?

Please guide me in the right direction, i hunger for a extraplanetary base! :D

PS. Awesome mod btw. Keep it up!

I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to distribute Kethane parts, modded or otherwise.

Just to clarify: you can modify Kethane however you want for personal use. The Kethane license only restricts distribution.

Rivvern: if you use the zip I linked (dll only), you can just use KAS to connect everything on the ground. miner, smelter, workshop, various storage containers, pad can all be separate craft, just have them connected via KAS in docked mode. One of the main features of my changes is to work around the fuel-flow limitations of KAS.

Don't now if this as already been reported but the v3 launchpad, after open, can't open the select craft menu. I looked up at the debug and it was pointing to a VAB directory from a savegame i already deleted.

I made a copy of my current savegame and renamed it to match the path on the debuger and the select craft buttom begin to work.

Anybody knows how to fix this to work with the current savegame?

Hmm, it works for me. What are the names of the two savegames? (both non-working and working). I suspect there might be a false assumption about the meaning of a certain variable, or the code is having problems with something in the name.

Ok so i tried to create a Kethane/Ore mining base without luck.

As i find it very hard to launch and land the stuff needed i need some advise.

Do i have to include all parts in one ship or atleast dock them toghether on the surface to be able to build rockets? What i would like is the possible to have some kind of proximity resource transfer.

Lets say i build one Ore miner, one melter, and one launchpad and landed these within lets say 100m. Could that work in any way?

Please guide me in the right direction, i hunger for a extraplanetary base! :D

PS. Awesome mod btw. Keep it up!

They need to be part of the same craft. An easy way to do this is to use Kerbal Attachment System, which allows you to basically just run a wire from ship to ship (default length 50 meters, but it's moddable) which makes them count as docked.

Anyone getting this? e7wBIZK.jpg

Its saying waaaaaaaaay too many rocket parts for a 22 part rocket

Also when i clicked build (with no parts or fuel) it built the ship straight away,like it is perma-debug mode

AaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ive found out that the new launchpad seems to have kerbals in it, because whenever i crash it it comes up with "----- Kerman was killed"

Actually a lot of people seem to be getting this, now ive looked back a couple pages

Edited by Boamere

Anyone getting this?

Its saying waaaaaaaaay too many rocket parts for a 22 part rocket

It is based on the mass of the rocket that you're trying to build - you need the same mass of RocketParts to build it, which now that the density of RocketParts has been reduced to a more realistic value, is LOTS. That looks about right.

Also when i clicked build (with no parts or fuel) it built the ship straight away,like it is perma-debug mode

Spot on.

That would be the line in the config file for the lauchpad that says "debug = true". It is switched on by default in the current version of the addon for that launchpad - you'll need to edit the GameData\Extraplanetary Launchpads\Parts\launchpad2\part.cfg file to remove it. (line 96)

AaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ive found out that the new launchpad seems to have kerbals in it, because whenever i crash it it comes up with "----- Kerman was killed"

Yup, the new launchpad is a two-man command pod, though it does have probe-autonomous functions if needed, so you can decrew it before launch if you want to fly it unmanned.

Savegame names are Tester (working) and Fenix (not working). Just one other thing. After i copy Fenix savegame and renamed it i can select crafts on all savegames. Apparently the mod is only reading craft files from the location of the Tester savegame.

Blergh, now my launchpad isn't detecting LF/O properly (dock-connected via KAS). I'm using the "runway" part since that is easiest to drive rovers off of (after trying for about 30min to force my kethane rover to stop humping the launchpad, I made the switch using bootstrap/recycling shennanigans). I kind of don't want to manually plug and transfer fuel into every ship.

Skykooler!!! The mod now ROCKS! Version 3 is so much better. No more explosions... YES. The "fluffy" rocket parts are perfect, I love them. Do NOT listen to people who want to change them back. Maybe OK if they want to use debug = true but then how is it different from hyperedit (or whatever its called). No more building giant rockets from a few tiny magic pellets in 10 minutes, this is much closer to believable. Thank you, thank you.

Taniwha: Thanks for fixing the spherical tanks resizing problem, awesome. Those tanks are really cool and the large size is perfect for rocket parts. I will next be trying to send a small size tank full of Minmus mined metal to Duna with the aim of bootstrapping an EL base there.

Well done Skykooler and everyone who has been coding and playtesting this mod.

ps. The out of control Launch Pad 2 someone reported... I got that a couple of times too. Then I realized it is the new 0.21.1 reaction wheels system doesn't allow you to control spacecraft orientation when you let the electric charge drain to zero (duh).

How can we Scan Ore now that Kethane remove it from his scanners?

Will be a scanner part on this mod pack? son?

Thank you by your attention! :)

There already are two ore scanner parts included; they are under the Science tab.

The converters aren't working for me, any idea as to what I'm missing here?

Edit: I have also created a smaller smelter for use with this plugin. Its mass and output are roughly half of the original, and its size has been reduced to maintain the half volume/mass relationship. It does, however, have reduced efficiency over its parent.

http://www.myordan.com/ksp/download.php?file=smelter_small.zip

Edited by hubbazoot

hubbazoot: are you using the latest kethane? if so, that might be the problem. The KethaneConverter node has changed.

I updated my kethane install only just last night, and then I was trying to figure out just how much electricity ion engines consume (a lot!*), so I haven't had time to test things.

*14.55u/s for the stock engine (tested), 72.74u/s for the KSPX engine (theory). 120x xenon consumption rate.

hubbazoot: are you using the latest kethane? if so, that might be the problem. The KethaneConverter node has changed.

I updated my kethane install only just last night, and then I was trying to figure out just how much electricity ion engines consume (a lot!*), so I haven't had time to test things.

*14.55u/s for the stock engine (tested), 72.74u/s for the KSPX engine (theory). 120x xenon consumption rate.

...Yes I am. I'll fix both part configs and re-upload them.