[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

I wanted to launch a star trek style spaceship from orbit instead from the ground.Wish you ca actually do that

Use the OrbitalConstruction mod for that. Or, launch from Gilly, you can launch anything there.

I'm just wondering, I know this may all change with 0.21, but would it be possible to make EL a) have the option to create ships with no Kerbals to make it feel more realistic. IE you have to ship the crews in seperately from Kerbin, and B) make construction take time somehow, based on number of rocket parts I guess. The second one might have difficulty if you change ships while the counter is going for construction so I can see it might be a problem.

If it were possible to assign a variable to count down, or more realistically set a time when the ship will be finished, set an 'under construction' flag, then wait till that time. If you switch ships then switch back and the time is after that stated time, and the 'under construction' flag is still set, then unset the flag and build the ship. Obviously you can't build stuff while the 'under construction' flag is set, except if you cancel the build part way through.

Just a thought.

I'm just wondering, I know this may all change with 0.21, but would it be possible to make EL a) have the option to create ships with no Kerbals to make it feel more realistic

I think if you make a probe as the initial device and then put a command pod under it, when you go to launch it the command pod will be empty. Just like if you add a hitchhiker container under a command pod, the command pod is the only thing with Kerbals inside. You can use SubAssembly Loader to add the probe to your craft files so you don't have to make them from scratch. Or simply load up a craft file, separate the command pod from the rest of the craft, delete it, load a small probe, then attach the command pod under that, then reattach the rest of the craft. Good luck ;)

I thought they changed that with 20.x? Aren't any command pods filled now? I actually haven't launched anything with multiple command pods (as opposed to hitch-hikers) in quite a long time so I haven't checked.

No, apparently not. Guess I misremembered from the change from .19 to .20. Haven't tried a probe with a command pod behind it yet but two command pods only crews up one of them for launch. Well, I am using Crew Manifest mod so I suppose it could be that too. *shrugs*

The first crewed capsule is automatically filled with kerbals in .20.x; if the root's a probe, and then you place a three-kerb and then a one-kerb, you get three kerbals. If you go probe->1->3, you get one kerbal. Version .21 will allow you to choose where to put kerbals, and therefore where not to.

I thought I had seen a modified smelter design someone came up with here, any idea where that is going? Also how does one edit the current Kethane drill to mine Ore or other parts to hold Ore/Metal/Rocket Parts? I tried changing the variables like others have suggested but it breaks the game when I try and add the parts to a ship and launch. Do I add the new folders to the EPL folder, Kethane Folder or generic Parts Folder to make it function correctly?

I thought I had seen a modified smelter design someone came up with here, any idea where that is going? Also how does one edit the current Kethane drill to mine Ore or other parts to hold Ore/Metal/Rocket Parts? I tried changing the variables like others have suggested but it breaks the game when I try and add the parts to a ship and launch. Do I add the new folders to the EPL folder, Kethane Folder or generic Parts Folder to make it function correctly?

I was working on one i posted pics of in dev thread...but I have only been modeling/modding 2 weeks now, still a ways off from being done.

Plus the runway has all of it in one, no need for smelter, rocket part fabricator and pad, just the runway. Oh, it also has a scanner, but it only scans ore, not kethane.

I think if you make a probe as the initial device and then put a command pod under it, when you go to launch it the command pod will be empty. Just like if you add a hitchhiker container under a command pod, the command pod is the only thing with Kerbals inside. You can use SubAssembly Loader to add the probe to your craft files so you don't have to make them from scratch. Or simply load up a craft file, separate the command pod from the rest of the craft, delete it, load a small probe, then attach the command pod under that, then reattach the rest of the craft. Good luck ;)

In the meantime, my Party Starter mod will fill your ship with Kerbonauts before launch.

I really love the idea of these runways and launchpad, however, I am having a problem. I build an aircraft carrier with a runway, I can load crafts but I can not launch them. Is it impossible to use the runway on water or am I doing something wrong?. I do have electricity, etc. etc. It just won't start the first stage. Can someone help me out please?

I really love the idea of these runways and launchpad, however, I am having a problem. I build an aircraft carrier with a runway, I can load crafts but I can not launch them. Is it impossible to use the runway on water or am I doing something wrong?. I do have electricity, etc. etc. It just won't start the first stage. Can someone help me out please?

Wont work like this. I tried making a boat to launch rockets off of as soon as BoatParts R3 was released =)

I think the problem with that is a boats status is always 'splashed down' and not 'landed'. I tried to get the old seasickness mod going as a workaround for this, but no luck there.

I could be wrong but it seems like the ship the pad is part of needs to be 'landed' in order for the pad to work.

Wont work like this. I tried making a boat to launch rockets off of as soon as BoatParts R3 was released =)

I think the problem with that is a boats status is always 'splashed down' and not 'landed'. I tried to get the old seasickness mod going as a workaround for this, but no luck there.

I could be wrong but it seems like the ship the pad is part of needs to be 'landed' in order for the pad to work.

I thought I added "splashed down" to the set of permissible states? Oh well, I'll check on that tomorrow.

I'm having this issue where upon reaching ~6000m above kerbin, any launchpad part, be it from this mod or the spherical launchpads one, apparently decides it is somewhere several kilometers from the rest of the ship (struts don't break though). the camera freaks out, I see struts extending seemingly to the surface, and the entire craft starts careening out of control until it finally crashes into the ground... any ideas?

Right now I'm scanning the Mun for ore and I have found plenty of kethane only, 0 ore. Does it even have ore or am I doing something wrong?

Edit, it just found some, yay :D

So to get this mod working I need to put the rocket builder part and the launchpad part close to each other, docked together or how?

Edit #2 I saw somewhere here that you only need the launchpad. It was so hard to get in orbit (FAR) and I finally got there... turns out it has not enough power.

Can anyone tell me how to get this mod running please?

Edited by Tigermisu

Right now I'm scanning the Mun for ore and I have found plenty of kethane only, 0 ore. Does it even have ore or am I doing something wrong?

Edit, it just found some, yay :D

So to get this mod working I need to put the rocket builder part and the launchpad part close to each other, docked together or how?

Edit #2 I saw somewhere here that you only need the launchpad. It was so hard to get in orbit (FAR) and I finally got there... turns out it has not enough power.

Can anyone tell me how to get this mod running please?

Use KAS to connect parts.

In my first try I made one launchpad, one ore miner / lander and an smelter and workshop on an huge rover. Did also make an kethane miner and an huge fuel carrier rover.

The fuel carrier was made on the launchpad, you could probably also make the kethane miner where if you have enough fuel to take it to an kethane deposit.

My second try put the smelter and fuel below the launchpad, put the workshop on one side and balanced with an lander can and some stuff on the other side.

The smelter is pretty hard to mount, use an probe core on it then an radial attachment node and loads of struts to mount the launchpad on it.

Downside of this design is that its 120 ton and pretty hard to launch and handle.

Might be an idea to make an lander with the ore drill, smelter and workshop, better make it as an rover so you can get within 50 meter of the launchpad.

One important note, remember to connect fuel hoses from tanks on the launchpad to the launchpad body, else the constructed stuff can not use it during construction.