[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

thanks skycooler, more questions incoming :D

1) Does the Kethane-scanner work, too? So if I send a survey-sat to a new planet (until ISA Mapsat works again, only Kethane-Scanners would be on board :D), would it find both resources and I could switch the hex-display-thingy from Kethane to Ore? Or does only the launchpad scan for ore?

2) Is there a way to "cheat" some ore deposits (like you can cheat Kethane with the Kethane Debugger)? That would be very helpful for setting up some tests at KSC to figure out how all this stuff really works first hand.

3) In what direction would the fuel lines have to go? Tanks -> Launch Pad, I guess?

4) Would the KAS also work instead of fuel lines? If so, anything I should know about (placement, winches, docking ports?)

Cheers, cy

1) IIRC, Kethane scanners currently detect every resource, however Majiir has said this will be changed in future versions of Kethane. Hopefully I will have EPL v3 released by then, which contains ore scanner parts.

2) The Kethane Debugger can generate resources of any type, including ore.

3) Yes, fuel needs to be able to flow to the launchpad to build.

4) There's been some discussion on this in the past few pages; it looks like you have to have the ships connected in "docked" mode, but beyond that I can't say, as I haven't gotten around to installing KAS in 0.21 yet.

Anyone figure a way to keep stuff from exploding when you build it? Before the item built becomes active they tend to shake in place just a bit and that causes it to start exploding. Nice fireworks but I'd like to keep my built items lol

Oh good, I was waiting for an 0.21 compatible. Glad you got the augers fixed too.

I'll be testing this tonight if I can find a nice flat spot on the mun to assemble it on. If there is one drawback to the new terrain, it is that it is far harder to find a good spot for building things.

Because it's the Mun, d'uh!

I prefer Mun over Minmus, because... Well, for one it's the body next to Kerbin, it just feels "right" :D Besides, I think Mun looks better than Minmus, also the view towards Kerbin is better.

Pff, science... *waves*

The reason why is because in practice you actually need a certain amount of gravity to hold the base down, otherwise it ends up sliding about when attaching modules or gets set to bouncing on the surface during launches.

EPL would almost benefit from some type of land-anchor solution to fix the pad on the surface once it is situated.

After finding no locations on the mun that I am happy with, I will be moving this base to be on Minimus instead. Hopefully that bouncing problem I had before doesn't come back- when I bumped my rovers together to dock them it set the whole mass skidding along the surface.

The reason why is because in practice you actually need a certain amount of gravity to hold the base down, otherwise it ends up sliding about when attaching modules or gets set to bouncing on the surface during launches.

EPL would almost benefit from some type of land-anchor solution to fix the pad on the surface once it is situated.

After finding no locations on the mun that I am happy with, I will be moving this base to be on Minimus instead. Hopefully that bouncing problem I had before doesn't come back- when I bumped my rovers together to dock them it set the whole mass skidding along the surface.

I glued my launchpad to the surface with SQUID landing legs. Haven't launched from it so far, but I think things will be ok. I guess one benefit of low-g is that the pad will have to support a lot less weight from the rocket. I don't like land-docking things anyway... too wobbly and it's hard to design ports to line up.

I'm confused here. After kethane v 6, do you no longer need the new dll?

The new .dll is to fix 0.21 compatibility; it has nothing to do with Kethane. So, if you have 0.21, yes, you still need the new dll.

Oh dear.

I've built a nice launchpad and trucked Rocketparts to it (the hexcans seem to be filled with a particularly exciting form of exotic matter).

Now, when I build something on the pad (using the HL version, though I don't know why it'd matter), it spawns totally full of fuel, even though there isn't fuel available on the pad and I explicitly set the build sliders so it spawns dry.

Not only is this kinda cheat-y, it messes up my plans for base infrastructure, since full tanks intended for storage are too heavy to KAS-winch off the pad.

Anyone figure a way to keep stuff from exploding when you build it? Before the item built becomes active they tend to shake in place just a bit and that causes it to start exploding. Nice fireworks but I'd like to keep my built items lol

I've been experiencing this problem myself, as a workaround I've been using launch clamps mounted at 45,135,225 and 315 degree angles (to miss the launchpad itself and instead attach to the mun itself. I then launch my vehicle which is suspended above the launchpad itself, and use a sunbeam laser to destroy the clamps after launch.

To those who are getting the launchpad to not blow up, any ideas or suggestions to get it to work as expected? As far as I can test for - it seems the ships are using the bottom of the launchpad as the surface, thus spawning the bottom part of the ship inside the launchpad creating the explosion.

Oh dear.

I've built a nice launchpad and trucked Rocketparts to it (the hexcans seem to be filled with a particularly exciting form of exotic matter).

Now, when I build something on the pad (using the HL version, though I don't know why it'd matter), it spawns totally full of fuel, even though there isn't fuel available on the pad and I explicitly set the build sliders so it spawns dry.

Not only is this kinda cheat-y, it messes up my plans for base infrastructure, since full tanks intended for storage are too heavy to KAS-winch off the pad.

Actually, it IS the fact that you're using the Hooligan Labs launchpad - it has debug mode switched on. You need to edit the .cfg file for the launchpad, go down to the EL module, and remove the debug line from it. If it is on, you get full fuel, and can always build regardless of parts-availability.

I've been experiencing this problem myself, as a workaround I've been using launch clamps mounted at 45,135,225 and 315 degree angles (to miss the launchpad itself and instead attach to the mun itself. I then launch my vehicle which is suspended above the launchpad itself, and use a sunbeam laser to destroy the clamps after launch.

To those who are getting the launchpad to not blow up, any ideas or suggestions to get it to work as expected? As far as I can test for - it seems the ships are using the bottom of the launchpad as the surface, thus spawning the bottom part of the ship inside the launchpad creating the explosion.

You should not need a laser; just add the recycler module to the launchpad as mentioned a few pages back, and then you can click "recycle" and the launch clamps are turned back into rocket parts.

Model overhaul when?

This mod is great, but the models are so offputting.

v3 is coming soon, with new launchpad and detectors, and a fixed auger. The other models I will look at later.

How to add the Recycler module to your parts:

Add the following code:

MODULE
{
name = Recycler
}

to any part that you want to be able to recycle debris with. To recycle debris, make sure you are within 50 meters, and then select "Recycle debris" in the right-click menu.

Ah so you have to add it to the parts you want to recycle, rather than there being a recycler part. Module is such a confusing term.

Ah so you have to add it to the parts you want to recycle, rather than there being a recycler part. Module is such a confusing term.

No no, it is written the part that you want to be able to recycle debris with. That means that the part you add the code to will be able to recycle all debris within 50 meters.

EDIT: How do we open up the Kethane debug menu, in order to be able to spawn ore at KSC and make some test onground? Thank youuuuuu! :)

EDIT2: Okay, I think I missed something. When I enable the drill, the HexCans ore attached to the same vessel don't fill up. Any ideas?

Edited by Atreiu

Actually, it IS the fact that you're using the Hooligan Labs launchpad - it has debug mode switched on. You need to edit the .cfg file for the launchpad, go down to the EL module, and remove the debug line from it. If it is on, you get full fuel, and can always build regardless of parts-availability.
Ah, awesome, thanks :) +rep Edited by Zeroignite

Oh dear.

Welp, further investigation seems to indicate that it isn't an issue with the cfg. I've set debug = false on the HL pad, as well as tested with the stock EL launchpad, and in all cases ships spawn full of fuel. My one last idea is to try re-downloading the plugin in case something was corrupted, but honestly it's starting to seem like the codebase itself has a bug somewhere :(

EDIT: re-downloading (yes, with the updated .dll as well) hasn't fixed it.

Edited by Zeroignite

Just to confirm, I also have the same problem with the default pad supplied in this mod, and the .cfg has debug = false inside it with no other instance of setting debug. My ships also spawn full of everything, even if there is none to supply at construction.

Edited by Bone White
typo

Just to confirm, I also have the same problem with the default pad supplied in this mod, and the .cfg has debug = false inside it with no other instance of setting debug. My ships also spawn full of everything, even if there is none to supply at construction.

Yes, there seems to be a problem here; I'm looking into it.