[Stock] Flapping-wing plane

Hey guys, long-time lurker here, finally breaking my forum silence to submit my .20 version of the infiniglider I built back in .17 - the Infiniglide Spider Web! I think my original could manage about 1200 m/s, but I've made a few improvements with the new model (moar flaps and struts!) and, well...

ELnxG1G.jpg

I ran into the same troubles AgentPaper did... at low altitudes the thing would disintegrate once it hit about 1600 m/s. It was endlessly entertaining to watch all the wings shred off and spiral around the cockpit, but after many failed attempts I decided to fly carefully for the sake of poor Harely's new heart condition. Ended up having to cruise up to 2 km and then start barrel rolling this thing into lunacy.

Could you add a picture in the VAB/SPH? It's not really possible to see your craft through all the reentry effects! :)

Are we allowing probes? If so, I would like to enter the Hummingbird, a lighter, faster vehicle based on AgentPaper's design. You simply take off, eject the gear, and repeatedly mash the buttons until it starts breaking the sound barrier and/or itself.

Here's a condensed version of what I posted to the Machingbird challenge:

Oki8rY3.png

3qY6v6N.jpg

Here's a shot of it decelerating after it ripped apart at top speed:

boQRINk.jpg

And here's the speed ( I look at over land speed like the Machingbird challenge does):

Ec0nx4U.jpg

4,118 m/s.

Mach 12.1

After a bit more tweaking (aka: MOAR FLAPS), I've improved my speed. I also submitted this to the machingbird challenge, now that it's broken all of the records there without breaking a sweat.

I'm sorry, but I sort of shattered your Machingbird record with my vehicle, which was an improved versoin of your design.

4,118 m/s.

I've posted it both here on page 3 and also on the Machingbird thread.

Just took a couple shots of my first entry:

SqFF5sh.jpg

hPjWbdp.jpg

...and, unfortunately I can't beat Skyhawk's entry. Even so, I should present the Infiniglide Spider Web 3! I just copy-pasted the original wings and for some reason the game decided the collisions in the outer ring were no big deal.

jo5WEOD.jpg

9M8NuF8.jpg

The result: Harely's woes as test pilot were rewarded with a wing-powered trip to interstellar space.

ugiLB20.jpg

Highest recorded speed in atmosphere: a bit over 4008 m/s, but I didn't get a screencap of anything higher than 4008.

A question: did you get a screenshot of the end flight/F3 log? It will tell you what your maximum airspeed overland is, even if you didn't screenshot it. Im jusat curious, because it would be neat to have a competitor who is close to my score. Nice job with 4,008, but I wonder if you beat me in 'Highest speed over land', which is standard for the Machingbird challenge.

A question: did you get a screenshot of the end flight/F3 log? It will tell you what your maximum airspeed overland is, even if you didn't screenshot it. Im jusat curious, because it would be neat to have a competitor who is close to my score. Nice job with 4,008, but I wonder if you beat me in 'Highest speed over land', which is standard for the Machingbird challenge.

Unfortunately I did not look at it when I actually did the flight, and when I went back to check the F3 log it just gave me the highest speed it had recorded since I clicked back to the craft. Should have thought to look at it when I first took it out into orbit, but I forgot.

I know for sure it was not going 111+ m/s faster than recorded, though, so I figure you're still in first place :P

Edited by Biff Ironbarge

• 5 months later...

Just did, same vehicle, just better skill piloting. Although I have trouble with rapid unplanned disassembly and explosion occuring below about 7 kilometers with my new Infiniglide missile (BTW: The parachute is not at all guaranteed to survive liftoff, and may as well have never been there if the thing goes blam.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yep, so I'm now the one and only person with a controllable atmospheric device capable of reaching Mach 16.9+

Edited by Pds314

Also, random fact: If I understand KSP stock drag correctly, that means that this thing has a TWR of 1800+. Think about it. That little 189-part (lol, too many fins) 2.39-tonne craft is producing around 42159.6 kN of thrust, which if I could fly well enough to keep at 5744 m/s constantly, would be 242164742000 watts according to Work=Force*Distance and Thrust=Drag or sustained speeds, The equivalent of 60 kg per second of TNT, or The entire eastern seaboard of the U.S. worth of electricity.

So.... Yeah, forget the sonic boom breaking your windows, you won't have a house when this thing goes by.

Yep, this thing is quite likely brighter than all energy consumed by the 70,000,000 or so Kerbals living (assuming they are equally population-dense as us and consume comparable amounts of energy.). (62,000,000 if you only count those NOT stranded hopelessly on Eve, Low solar orbit, Tylo, An escape trajectory from Kerbol, The Moho Pits, or some other inescapable black hole of doom.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.