Planets and ScaledSpace.

First, don't get too exited about this. There is still a long way to go and I am not at all sure it is going to actually work.

But here are a few screen shots:

1qxeGew.png

Bogy. Ain't she cute!

xFRY1Wp.png

Kerbin rising over Mun rising over Bogy.

GCOlBKm.png

Bogy stubbornly refusing to appear in the map window. Grrr. The capsule is on the surface giving you an idea how big it is.

9be5KKE.png

I spent 45min getting this shot. Time I could have spent coding. No more screen shots for a while. Its too much fun.

Oh, another thing. The scaled space mesh must be on layer ScaledSpace (which, internally, is layer number 10).

These are the two components that make scaled space objects work, as well:

ZmxZCbs.png

The transform in ScaledMovement is simply the local space object, in this case, Bop.

ScaledSpaceFader requires the use of the specific planet shaders. For an airless body like that, you need Terrain/Scaled Planet (Simple). But, this is optional.

Hopefully this will help. In fact, if it helps, I'm probably gonna make a few things of my own that I couldn't get away with putting in the game itself :sticktongue:

The first thing I would want to do with this is recreate the Solar System at actual scale. Hopefully it's possible to delete other planets and edit Kerbol to make it more like the Sun. Then all of the mods that make the physics more realistic (FAR, Modular Fuel System, etc.) would no longer break the game.

Not sure that's a good idea. Escape velocities for our solar system are about four times higher than what we have in KSP. For example, earth's escape velocity is 11.1km/s... That's incredibly high, so try simply imagining the KSP rocket you would need to have to escape Earth in KSP. And you're far from being in orbit around another body, you're just out of Earth's SOI. Then there's the time factor that's ridiculous. An Eeloo transfer in the game takes about 200days? Maybe less I'm not sure. But let's say it's 200 days just for it. That means at full warp speed, you have to warp for three full minutes before entering it's SOI. But then if you go to Earth, an Earth/Pluto transfer takes about 10 years, considering the New Horizons probe. Ten years at full warp speed would take you 53 minutes.

Seriously, the solar system is on a scale way out of KSP :l If someone was to ever make a replica of the solar system, it would need to be scaled down. As much as I would love it, 1:1 scale is totally impracticable.

However, there are games that would let you do something like that. If you want to explore the solar system and such, I recommend you try Universe Sandbox, Space Engine or Celestia. Those games would let you explore to a scale KSP doesn't permit, they're really interesting :)

if you want 1:1 try Orbiter. You won't be dissapointed. Nova has made mods for it too IIRC.

Anyways back on subject, what sorts of planets would you not get away with adding into the game, Nova? I am intrigued.

I'd be interested on seeing things we don't have yet in the game. For example, would underground formations be possible? Like would the game allow a concave form for a planet?

Jool's moon Tylo has some caves. However it isn't a concave planet mesh because that's impossible. It's a hole in the ground with a rock mesh over it.

Jool's moon Tylo has some caves. However it isn't a concave planet mesh because that's impossible. It's a hole in the ground with a rock mesh over it.

Yeah I saw it, it's rather small but interesting :) I'm just wondering if it would be possible to bypass this by using, idk, different meshes or something. My knowledge in modeling are really near or under zero so I'm just wondering if there'a a bypass that could be done to create large underground structures without just adding a rock mesh over the whole thing :l

Yeah I saw it, it's rather small but interesting :) I'm just wondering if it would be possible to bypass this by using, idk, different meshes or something. My knowledge in modeling are really near or under zero so I'm just wondering if there'a a bypass that could be done to create large underground structures without just adding a rock mesh over the whole thing :l

Well I guess it could be possible if you deleted a section of terrain and added a cave mesh there. But it'd probably be a massive pain setting up the colliders since KSP hates concave meshes.

I'd really like to see a planet that's still forming, something along the lines of this:

lavar.jpg

(image from Rareden's kerbin art thread)

Or maybe one that just suffered an apocalyptic collision not unlike the one that created Earth's moon? Planet looks like that, asteroids floating around everywhere, a small moon starting to clump together.

Wow, that's a great plugin. Do you think you could try upscaling existing planets, not only adding new ones? :) 1:1 replica of our solar system could be a bit much, but one downsized about 64% could be fun with BobCat's historical pack.

Idea for Making Caves

caves would give rovers a purpose and lights.

one way you could do it is make like a cavern like the ones on mun but smaller with steeper walls then put a model (like the ones they use for Easter eggs over it (would need to be big). the model could make the cave have different passages and actually be a cave.

if this makes since to you here ya go idea.png

I am actually been "restarting" my old planet project in secret since my harddrive and brain crash, You have gotten alot more positive feedback and more help than me lol, when i get on my main computer maybe we can chat on skype or something over this and help eachother? Because it seems like i started this "planet plugin project thingy" for some reason, anyways hope it turns out good.

How did you guys even manage to access this level of code using unity. I have looked around inside KSP.app but have found nothing that i can seem to use in any way? It would be nice if one of you could tell me this in a PM, but if that information is pseudo-secret, I'm fine with that.

Thanks,

Spica