[WIP] Low-Poly Cities for Kerbin

Frogbull

Parts, but don't worry the mod will implement some cities so you won't have to build some if you don't feel like it.

If I'm honest, I think you really need to find a way to define these models in a similar way to the VAB/SPH/Trackingstation/runway/radar in the game view. Now I don't know how this is done to be fair myself, but Nova seems interested in your project, and given as far as I'm aware he made the planets, hes probably a good source for how this could be done. I can see there being some potential for glitchy behavior if using parts, and if you can make a decent plugin for adding buildings - maybe even custom ones, at any location as defined by another modder - that would likely be as if not more useful than whats currently being suggested.

I look forward to seeing how this goes, but I honestly think the level of work you're suggesting is overambitious (especially the CAB - I doubt adding another scene is even possible.). Stick to just getting fixed buildings added into KSP and allowing definable ones. That would be the most valuable outcome of this project.

Someone made a plugin that allowed you to add objects (a la VAB or SPH) to the game world on Kerbin at any coordinates you want. I don't remember where the thread is.

I did post some details and a code snippet based on some experiments I ran with PQSCity (including duplicating the runway to give KSC a second one) but I don't know if someone else has developed it into a full plugin.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/26858-Adding-new-buildings-runways

If you want to add it in KSC I would just parent it to the KSC object rather than adding a PQSCity GameObject of your own.

Outstanding! subscribed!

Some original city name ideas;

rotatta

spanakopita

delex

new barter

gleisium

fargus

macho bidacjo

planetia

crashtopia

new crakatos

Would like to add that I love the idea of building (and) using custom roads between user-built cities. Consider adding some ambient sounds to cities. Maybe a very low and random wind.

Now if only we could visit our buddies in different cities around kerbin ...or the mun ;)

Here's my idea for what these cities could be used for in Campaign Mode:

At the start of C-Mode, there are a limited amount of villages around Kerbin, and your airport. (It would not yet be a space center)

The villages each have specialties (Coal Mining, Oil Drilling, Electronics Manufacturing, etc.) depending where they are.

Besides money, you need resources that these villages provide. As you use these resources, they grow until they become Towns, and then Cities.

Occasionally, there will be Natural Disasters or Epidemics that will ravage a town. If you want to keep the town running, you might want to donate money in order to help the town recover. At worst, the town will be abandoned or demolished. As more towns grow, Villages found alongside them. You might start with 3 villages, but you might go

bankrupt seeing 20!

Astronauts come from these villages, and a village might be angry if a Kerbal from that village dies in the space program. They will H.A.T.E. it when you crash into a village, and might ask the Government to close the Space Program. If too many people petition this, You lose!

You can charter village planes to transport astronauts or resources to places.

Villages might start wars between other villages (NO NATIONS, VILLAGE TO VILLAGE WAR) that could result in losing a village.

In Sandbox Mode, you can freely level cities up, and they will not become angry at you for wrecking their village.

Hope you liked that whale of an idea.

-Ultraflight:D

If I'm honest, I think you really need to find a way to define these models in a similar way to the VAB/SPH/Trackingstation/runway/radar in the game view. Now I don't know how this is done to be fair myself, but Nova seems interested in your project, and given as far as I'm aware he made the planets, hes probably a good source for how this could be done. I can see there being some potential for glitchy behavior if using parts, and if you can make a decent plugin for adding buildings - maybe even custom ones, at any location as defined by another modder - that would likely be as if not more useful than whats currently being suggested.

I look forward to seeing how this goes, but I honestly think the level of work you're suggesting is overambitious (especially the CAB - I doubt adding another scene is even possible.). Stick to just getting fixed buildings added into KSP and allowing definable ones. That would be the most valuable outcome of this project.

Hey guys, small update here !

I have moved from my old house and I won't have a computer until the 15th of this month. I'll be back on working from then on.

TouhouTorpedo > That's what I would prefer as far as I'm conderned. I have sent Nova a PM but he has not responded yet...

Annoyingorbits > We'll deal with names when the mod is good enough to come out, but I'll come back to your ideas when needed, I'm not a fan

of the K syndrom either :)

I did post some details and a code snippet based on some experiments I ran with PQSCity (including duplicating the runway to give KSC a second one) but I don't know if someone else has developed it into a full plugin.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/26858-Adding-new-buildings-runways

If you want to add it in KSC I would just parent it to the KSC object rather than adding a PQSCity GameObject of your own.

Could you post the plugin that gives us the second runway? I'd absolutely love that.

Here's my idea for what these cities could be used for in Campaign Mode:

At the start of C-Mode, there are a limited amount of villages around Kerbin, and your airport. (It would not yet be a space center)

The villages each have specialties (Coal Mining, Oil Drilling, Electronics Manufacturing, etc.) depending where they are.

Besides money, you need resources that these villages provide. As you use these resources, they grow until they become Towns, and then Cities.

Occasionally, there will be Natural Disasters or Epidemics that will ravage a town. If you want to keep the town running, you might want to donate money in order to help the town recover. At worst, the town will be abandoned or demolished. As more towns grow, Villages found alongside them. You might start with 3 villages, but you might go

bankrupt seeing 20!

Astronauts come from these villages, and a village might be angry if a Kerbal from that village dies in the space program. They will H.A.T.E. it when you crash into a village, and might ask the Government to close the Space Program. If too many people petition this, You lose!

You can charter village planes to transport astronauts or resources to places.

Villages might start wars between other villages (NO NATIONS, VILLAGE TO VILLAGE WAR) that could result in losing a village.

In Sandbox Mode, you can freely level cities up, and they will not become angry at you for wrecking their village.

Hope you liked that whale of an idea.

-Ultraflight:D

It's not a plugin you ask, it's a whole new game. :D

I hope it hasn't died

I don't think it has died, hope the models posted a bit back are still released. There is however a plugin already released that allows the placement of static objects ingame.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40374-WIP-KerbTown-Beta-available!-Place-static-buildings-cities-objects-in-game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is this still being worked on, or is he taking a break? Don't mean to bug you but it looks like a really cool idea.

I have no news from FrogBull, so I guess our project is on standby but not forgotten. I want to make it happen :)