Planet Ideas

BlueSubstance

Hey, not bad in the ps department, but there are some extra effects you should take into consideration with ringed planets: Ring shadow and Ring shine. When light from our star hits Saturn's rings, because of the general composition being relatively reflect-y it shines onto the planet's surface, as well as casts a shadow depending on its orientation to the sun. the shadow is more prevalent on the day side, whereas the shine is more prevalent on the night side*this is because the rings have a larger diameter than the planet, thus it allows excess light from the rings to bounce to a greater degree.

Very nice pics! I agree a ringed gas giant is a must, though I'd make it light purple like this (but with more defined rings, of course).

A super Earth (Neptune-sized terrestrial planet) would be awesome, especially if it looked like Aelion. Naturally it would have lots of moons. Though I'm not sure it would be possible to return from the surface.

Kyrian might work better in a different star system, if the devs ever add one. Two habitable bodies in one solar system is enough; three would be overkill.

One idea I had, though I'm not sure if it's possible, would be to have a cluster of dwarf planets (or maybe asteroids) in a shared orbit. One planet with a few similarly sized moons, each with a few of their own similarly sized moons. All of them roughly 50 km across. Those would be pretty challenging to land on, and the view from the surface would be amazing.

• 1 month later...
Nice!

I hope they implement that gas giant. For the pure fact that it has rings.

Is all my "I want rings!" rants getting through? PLEASE?

Anyways, nice work, bro!

if you want rings, you should try kragretheas planet factory mod. adds ringed planets.

~snip~

Kyrian

------

A planet with an atmosphere. It has small lakes too! It has the half size of Kerbin.

~snip~

Awesome, I'm a planet! If this becomes a mod, you bet I'll have it installed!

Edited by Kyrian

• 4 months later...

How about a small planetoid just a bit closer to sun than what kerbin is and the planet itself is completely covered in water. It could be just the size of minmus and the sea would be very deep so the planet would basically be just a ball of water floating in space with an atmosphere and thick clouds to keep it from freezing.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.