Any real space studying guys play this?

Mr_Duke

Sorry for the loose title, but basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of/or is in NASA/ESA ect, that plays this game? Or anyone who study's space thingys and all it's wonderful an mysterious goings on? I've saw that people were showing it in physics classes, which is great! I would have loved to see this when I was in school! But unfortunately the best we got back then was windows 95, minesweeper (that we were not allowed to play) and a dial up connection....sigh...

But anyway, I know a few people have quite good knowledge about certain things in this game, for me when all the math in space travel is mentioned, or comes up in game or on wikis I just go blank. My method is usually Aim at target>boost>land/crash/nofuel! But that's my style!

Obviously if your studying space thingys (said it again :$) you probably wont have time, or would you? I wouldn't want to finish work and play a heating engineer simulator game.....

(*Hmm I'd be good at that*) :P

Maybe it would appeal to you more than anyone!

Edited by Mr_Duke

Trained Space Engineer here, but I didn't get a job in the sector. Competition is tight here and the US export laws mean I can't go work over there. (hey, you other space guys here - do me and a favor and get this sorted lol). Always time to apply in the future once I'm better experienced though.

Not long after I started playing, I made a spreadsheet for all the parts (weren't too many back then...) and began a proper calculated space program in KSP to work out the mass of Kerbin and the Mun, then lead up to a landing with an optimised ship. Was good fun, but far too much effort to normally bother with! :)

For some reason though I tend to spend all my time in KSP now building planes and trucks and modding in parts for them instead of rockets.

Currently studying to be an aerospace engineer. Learned WAY more about orbital mechanics in KSP than I ever did in my lectures!

You might find it stays that way, sadly. A lot of Aerospace courses are as their name implies, Aero and Space. Usually with heavy lean to the former. If your interest is out and out space, you need to be on an Astronautics course, which sounds like "Astronaut training" but really means "How satellites work".

B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. Had a few orbital mechanics and rocketry design classes when I was in college. I enjoy the math as it makes the design process easier and it isn't just build, test, fail, modify, test, fail, modify, test, success!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.