[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Hey sirkut, what the chances of making the servo GUI resizable?

Part clipping aside, I want the wheels to rotate in opposite directions (the right hand one rotating clockwise, the left hand one anti-clockwise)and only by 180 degrees ('stowed' and 'deployed', as it were), but the left hand one is misbehaving, no matter what settings I use.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, it's impossible to get 0 or 180 degrees in the step increment. The closest I can get is 1.8 degrees either side.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Anyone have any links to someone instructions on how to make variable geometry wings with IR? I have tried a few times and I am trying to see how others are doing it.

Hey sirkut, what the chances of making the servo GUI resizable?

Part clipping aside, I want the wheels to rotate in opposite directions (the right hand one rotating clockwise, the left hand one anti-clockwise)and only by 180 degrees ('stowed' and 'deployed', as it were), but the left hand one is misbehaving, no matter what settings I use.

http://imgur.com/a/6sh4k

Also, it's impossible to get 0 or 180 degrees in the step increment. The closest I can get is 1.8 degrees either side.

Not sure why it's misbehaving. What happens when invert axis is off for both?

As for not getting 0 or 180, there's a fix for that. Click the "[]" button next to the specific part. A new window will appear, enter the value you want.

New post, new bug :P

http://imgur.com/a/2gTRK

The light that was attached in symmetry to the truss doesn't seem to take into account the reversed axis of rotation.

Craft file here, just need the rework models, all else is stock

Symmetry mode is acting weird. I suggest just attaching each light individually. Sucks I know but I don't know how I could fix that.

Symmetry mode is acting weird. I suggest just attaching each light individually. Sucks I know but I don't know how I could fix that.

EDIT: looks like I may have broken the loading of craft files to display the group editor window when I fixed the subassembly issue. *sigh* can't win.

Not sure why it's misbehaving. What happens when invert axis is off for both?

Invert Axis off sent them in opposite directions, like both were on, except the direction was reversed. Anywho, I got it working now, had to set the left min to -180 and max to 0 and the right min to 0 and max to 180. Seems I tired every combination of 180 and +/- there was except that one, heh... Thanks for the pointer about the [] button, sometimes, it's a wonder I can even function on a day to day basis.

Did you try the craft? The annoying thing about SPH symmetry is that it's really quite difficult to get two things symmetrical without using it. I did manage it with a lot of help from Editor Extensions though, I don't know how I'd cope without it.

Overall then, mission successful, thanks for the help. I'll leave you be for a while now :D

EDIT:

EDIT: looks like I may have broken the loading of craft files to display the group editor window when I fixed the subassembly issue. *sigh* can't win.

Yeah, noticed that too in getting the chassis subassembly on to a stock pod. Forgot to tell you :P

Invert Axis off sent them in opposite directions, like both were on, except the direction was reversed. Anywho, I got it working now, had to set the left min to -180 and max to 0 and the right min to 0 and max to 180. Seems I tired every combination of 180 and +/- there was except that one, heh... Thanks for the pointer about the [] button, sometimes, it's a wonder I can even function on a day to day basis.

Did you try the craft? The annoying thing about SPH symmetry is that it's really quite difficult to get two things symmetrical without using it. I did manage it with a lot of help from Editor Extensions though, I don't know how I'd cope without it.

Overall then, mission successful, thanks for the help. I'll leave you be for a while now :D

Yes I tried the craft out and my solution is to just place the parts individually. You can eyeball it and it will work. I'm not sure there's a way _I_ can fix that goofy issue.

Anyone have any links to someone instructions on how to make variable geometry wings with IR? I have tried a few times and I am trying to see how others are doing it.

I saw your request about variable geometry wings, and decided to build this as a test.

Uses Spaceplane+ and Pwings [edit] and KAX wheels (oops)... flies pretty stable for something just thrown together.

Here's some pics...

The business end of the wing sweep:

screenshot112_zpsdbac7567.png

Just a docking washer attached parallel to the wing axis.

Main wing attached to docking washer so that the washer will sweep the wing:

screenshot111_zpsc9cdee69.png

Another Pwing attached forward of washer to hide the joint and gap when the wing sweeps:

screenshot109_zps996698ae.png

Flight Pics:

screenshot115_zps7af05e75.png

screenshot116_zpsacb83a1d.png

screenshot118_zps0367c1a5.png

screenshot119_zps34bade09.png

screenshot121_zps9eb0778f.png

screenshot122_zpsda75d96d.png

screenshot123_zps7136eb1f.png

Edited by VaporTrail
Put quote in...

I saw your request about variable geometry wings, and decided to build this as a test.

Uses Spaceplane+ and Pwings... flies pretty stable for something just thrown together.

Here's some pics...

The business end of the wing sweep:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot112_zpsdbac7567.png

Just a docking washer attached parallel to the wing axis.

Main wing attached to docking washer so that the washer will sweep the wing:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot111_zpsc9cdee69.png

Another Pwing attached forward of washer to hide the joint and gap when the wing sweeps:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot109_zps996698ae.png

Flight Pics:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot115_zps7af05e75.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot116_zpsacb83a1d.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot118_zps0367c1a5.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot119_zps34bade09.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot121_zps9eb0778f.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot122_zpsda75d96d.png

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/_VaporTrail_/screenshot123_zps7136eb1f.png

That's beautiful... I might have to steal that idea :D

In other news, I discovered (and then read here) that any changes made to one part in a group of symmetry will make the change to all parts in that group. Pretty annoying, as I would have to make the changes required every time I put the craft to launch and there's no way around it. However, then I remembered I have StripSymmetry installed! Two buttons and a click later and I have each thing being independent! Now let's just hope I don't have/want to make any more changes to the legs unless I fancy doing it 4 times by eye...

For anyone who would want to move onto this version of mod, while having important spacecrafts like stations ingame using old parts i have a quick guide.

1. You need to download Notepad++

2. Make a copy of the game, and install the newest version

3. Open the craft you have problems with[ie. it had vanished because of incompatible parts] on your KSP install with OLD[pre 16.0] version.

4. Delete the problematic part, connect the craft without that part.

5. Save the craft

6. Open it in your KSP install with NEW mod[16.0 and onward] version

7. Apply new hinges/rotatrons in place where the removed problematic part was.

8. Launch the craft with the stage you had in your original save, adjust fuel, antennas etc.

9. Save the game using quicksave.

Now for the hard part.

10. Open the quicksave made on the NEW mod version[16.0 and higher] using notepad++

11. Search for the craft using ctrl+f, then when you found it, find a first line with PART header. Write down or remember the number of the line.

12. Scroll down to the end of VESSEL's header closing curly braces,. Write down or remember the number of the line

13. Go back to the PART header, press ctrl+g and write the first number.

14. Press edit, and choose begin/end selection

14. Press CTRL+G, write the second number

15.Press edit and choose begin/end selection

16. Now you had gotten the selected text between PART and end of VESSEL curly braces.

17. Press ctrl+c to copy

17. Open the quicksave from KSP version with OLD[<16.0 version of the mod], this is your current game you want to upgrade.

18.Repeat the steps 11 to 16

19.Press ctrl+v to copy

If everything was made correctly, you should have the identical craft, on the same orbit, path, place etc.

Ufff i wasted 2 hours, to upgrade my crafts, but i really, didn't want to start again, especially, that i have invested time in remote tech.

Edited by DeepOdyssey

For anyone who would want to move onto this version of mod, while having important spacecrafts like stations ingame using old parts i have a quick guide.

1. You need to download Notepad++

2. Make a copy of the game, and install the newest version

3. Open the craft you have problems with[ie. it had vanished because of incompatible parts] on your KSP install with OLD[pre 16.0] version.

4. Delete the problematic part, connect the craft without that part.

5. Save the craft

6. Open it in your KSP install with NEW mod[16.0 and onward] version

7. Apply new hinges/rotatrons in place where the removed problematic part was.

8. Launch the craft with the stage you had in your original save, adjust fuel, antennas etc.

9. Save the game using quicksave.

Now for the hard part.

10. Open the quicksave made on the NEW mod version[16.0 and higher] using notepad++

11. Search for the craft using ctrl+f, then when you found it, find a first line with PART header. Write down or remember the number of the line.

12. Scroll down to the end of VESSEL's header closing curly braces,. Write down or remember the number of the line

13. Go back to the PART header, press ctrl+g and write the first number.

14. Press edit, and choose begin/end selection

14. Press CTRL+G, write the second number

15. Now you had gotten the selected text between PART and end of VESSEL curly braces.

16. Press ctrl+c to copy

16. Open the quicksave from KSP version with OLD[<16.0 version of the mod], this is your current game you want to upgrade.

17.Repeat the steps 11 to 15

18.Press ctrl+v to copy

If everything was made correctly, you should have the identical craft, on the same orbit, path, place etc.

Ufff i wasted 2 hours, to upgrade my crafts, but i really, didn't want to start again, especially, that i have invested time in remote tech.

Thanks for sharing that. I honestly couldn't figure out an elegant way to fix this for everyone. Every route I took was difficult and a pain in the butt. As I said before, we shouldn't be breaking saved games anymore as I've gotten everything where it needs to be now.

That's beautiful... I might have to steal that idea :D

Go ahead... I based the wing design heavily on what I remember of the design of the F-14.

Have to say though, it was literally thrown together as a "lets see if this works."

Go ahead... I based the wing design heavily on what I remember of the design of the F-14.

Well if it works, it ain't stupid.. (and yes, those are missiles on the bottom. Technically, KWR small SRBs TweakScaled down several sizes. They don't fly very well either but look cool as heck when I fire them)

HilariousAfraidImpala.gif

Thanks sirkut, grabbing the update now.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Anyone know how to reenforce hinges and stuff?

I want to make foldable wings, so I place a hinge in between the fuselage and the wing, and the wing gets all wobbly during flight, compared to being directly to the tank.

Sirkut, i have major issues since the window is toggleable in the toolbar: whenever i try to launch a KSO shuttle, the ARM seems to move the centre of mass way off and throws the shuttle around in midflight, i tested the shuttle without the ARM and have no issues with that.

Here is the craftfile (you need the new KSO EWBL)http://www.4shared.com/file/VeadgEUyce/KSO__EWBCL_Block_4_ARM.html

Anyone know how to reenforce hinges and stuff?

I want to make foldable wings, so I place a hinge in between the fuselage and the wing, and the wing gets all wobbly during flight, compared to being directly to the tank.

I asked about the same stuff, but there is no cure for weak hinges. Just use the biggest one. And if quantum struts are working, i would use them also.

Sirkut, i have major issues since the window is toggleable in the toolbar: whenever i try to launch a KSO shuttle, the ARM seems to move the centre of mass way off and throws the shuttle around in midflight, i tested the shuttle without the ARM and have no issues with that.

Here is the craftfile (you need the new KSO EWBL)http://www.4shared.com/file/VeadgEUyce/KSO__EWBCL_Block_4_ARM.html

Couple of things. Which window is toggleable in the toolbar? Which version?

You need to list what mods you are using. I've spotted KAS & Dromoman, while I recognized those parts it wouldn't be fun to figure them out if I didn't.

Second you are using the OLD infernal parts. While I did say you can keep the old and the new I would try using the new parts. Less space in the VAB.

Third there was an issue with the mass not being calculated correctly with the tweaked parts that I did fix recently. Now I am not sure if this is affects the old IR parts.

As for the center of mass issue. I'm not sure why it's goes nutty at a certain height. Maybe offset the weight on the other side?

Also, your middle joint where you have 2 IR hinges connected to each other. You don't connect them "top to top" as it will rotate fine but will look unreal. base must always connect to the top.

- - - Updated - - -

I asked about the same stuff, but there is no cure for weak hinges. Just use the biggest one. And if quantum struts are working, i would use them also.

ZodiusInfuser and Marce are working together on an ActiveStrut system that will be quite useful for what you are having problems with.

Problem with struts in a movable wing design is that the wings are impossible to move in only one direction because they produce lift and when they're on the ground it'll all bend down due to gravity. I tried to make a folding plane so it can re-enter then deploy while flying and it's just not feasible with quantum struts. Maybe the activestrut thing is different somehow but it sounds like the same concept.