[WIP] HD Textures for planets/moons

Frogbull

Ok, I've finished to extract all the actual KSP planets/moons textures. (Moho, Eve, Gilly, Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Dres, Jool, Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, Pol and Eeloo)

I've also extracted all the bump maps.

I do not know if someone has already done what I've done and I do not know if the devs approve data extraction (KSP is covered by copyright laws, I respect that).

So I will not share the original textures if the devs don't say "It's ok".

I made some renders with 3DS Max (each major planet/moon with its respected radius) all in Full HD format (1920x1080) :

1372486852-ksp-planets.png

Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Mun, Duna, Dres, Tylo, Vall, Laythe, Jool and Eeloo (the only one I have not placed in front of Jool)

1372487221-ksp-kerbin-mun.png

Kerbin and Mun

1372487201-ksp-duna.png

Duna

1372487621-ksp-eve-venus.png

Eve and a quick done oranged Eve (like Venus with no atmosphere), I don't like the actual Eve, I posted about that in this post

1372489161-ksp-kerbin-clouds.png

Kerbin with clouds ! (it's going to rain I think :sticktongue:)

1372490453-ksp-eve-venus-atmo.png

Eve and my custom oranged Eve with a heavy atmosphere (like the real Venus)

For my first "HD Texture", I will try to change Eve texture for a more Venus-Like type. Only the colors will change, the surface will still the same.

PS: if you want some screens, like a Kerbin in the nights with cities lights or a complety new style for Laythe (the closest Jool moon), write it; I can do it if you don't ask the impossible. :D

PS²: I always used the Alpha for my PNG so it's easy to change the background (for a simple black background or a space-like with a lot of stars).

Edited by Frogbull

Do you have a way to download/install these for those of us with highend PC's who can handle it?

These would be incredibly good for screenshot quality and youtubers like macey etc.

Also, clouds on laythe pleasepleasepleasepleasseplease?

They're nice textures but are probably impossible to put in the game until the devs implement a planetary API for us to follow. Good job on ripping the textures though. Can you tell me how you managed to rip the bump maps? I've only been able to get the textures.

Just one question, how are you guys extracting all this data fro kip, I would really like to know in case i feel like messing around with kip, and possibly retexturing, adding planets. If you have answers, please PM me if you can.

Spica

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see an Io-like Laythe, Jool with a big blue spot and more contrast in the clouds, ranging from yellow to bluish green. A Venusian Eve with a purple-bluish atmosphere and clouds, and a pale-dull-purple land (The thick clouded version of Eve you showed, but with a more bluish atmosphere) I'd like to see Duna with a slightly orange tint, a much smaller northern polar cap, a slightly smaller southern polar cap. I'd like to see a more brownish Ike.

slow down there, these textures aren't much use unless there's a way to put them into the game. So why work on the textures if there's no method to implement them?

Is it possible to flatten these out in a way they would uv map onto a sphere easy?

Would be cool to use them to make ingame planetarium the kerbals can visit. Would be east too long as the textures could be flattened right.

Just a thought, Im horrible at all things textures, but I could do the rest.

I've uploaded a light version of the Kerbol System on Sketchfab so you can visit the Kerbol System in 3D directly via your web browser.

If you've comments about the 3D visit, write them on the dedicated thread please : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39769-Visit-the-Kerbol-Sytem-in-3D-directly-in-your-web-browser-%281st-version%29

AFAIK, it's against Terms of Service to open the game up like that, but I hear that it's something EVERY Plugin maker does. Apparently it's something nobody talks about but everyone does in the plugin/modding circles. Anyway, inb4 Harv sends you a "cease and desist" forum message XD.

Awesome textures. Especially the brown eve. I really think the Devs should do that. Current Eve is kinda gross.

Why are people reading this and thinking he's working on some kind of upgrade to the game? He's using game assets and improving them to perform renders outside the game, but what he's doing can't then be crammed back into the game without modifying the base installation (it's not like this is a mod).

TL;DR: He's not making changes to the game, folks. He's playing around with textures FROM the game to see what they'd look like in more detail. That's it.

..but what he's doing can't then be crammed back into the game without modifying the base installation (it's not like this is a mod)..

It's perfectly achievable through a plugin loaded by KSP's plugin loader. No 'base installation' modifications necessary. :)

How-ever I do agree it seems like he is only interested in providing some nice art for us to look at. :D If I was as artistic as this fella I would've upgraded the textures a while back. I love anything to make use of the 4 gigs of vram in my graphics card.