[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

All the log says is '[Log]: deleting part structuralpanel2' about 420 times.

Is the weld performed correctly?

On that version I had to delete all the parts because of how C# handle the data (it doesn't makes a copy), so I was modifying the data directly without any original copy and so the nodes and all that ended up out of place.

On the futur version I do not change any data and so I don't have to delete anything. Make sure you save the vessel before you weld. You could try to ctrl+Z also

Can you check the log to make sure it was correctly welded.

I see what you are offering here, and it is a good idea, so far what I see is:

- Limited by the amount of dummy set before the game need to be reloaded

- I still haven't found a way to reprocess that .cfg file (or equivalent in game: ConfigNode).

well, unfortunately my ability beyond the simple (that is, extremely complex) concept is pretty much null.

I wonder if something similar to that mod that allows on-demand texture loading could help in this case?

well, unfortunately my ability beyond the simple (that is, extremely complex) concept is pretty much null.

I wonder if something similar to that mod that allows on-demand texture loading could help in this case?

that texture mod use a dummy texture also. but it's simpler to load a texture and replace it than to create a whole part with preview.

I'm hoping for some advice / guidance in using this mod. I'm currently in the process of building an orbital station using the FusTek station parts and I'm really trying to keep a handle on how many actual parts go into the design. I was hoping to use this mod to weld some of the larger structures together, perhaps also welding on things like RCS and the IACBM docking rings, but the more I read through this thread, the more I'm questioning whether or not this will work at all. I should also mention that I get the "don't know what to do with this" error even welding two basic parts together. Is there any way to make this work? Or am I pretty much going to be stuck with a high part count on this station no matter what I do?

Just weld the thing without the winglets or RCS and place those afterwards. I'm going to do that on my ship when I can get the superstructure to weld properly.

Also, what do you mean by correctly? Is there any parts that could have made the weld go wrong?

I'm hoping for some advice / guidance in using this mod. I'm currently in the process of building an orbital station using the FusTek station parts and I'm really trying to keep a handle on how many actual parts go into the design. I was hoping to use this mod to weld some of the larger structures together, perhaps also welding on things like RCS and the IACBM docking rings, but the more I read through this thread, the more I'm questioning whether or not this will work at all. I should also mention that I get the "don't know what to do with this" error even welding two basic parts together. Is there any way to make this work? Or am I pretty much going to be stuck with a high part count on this station no matter what I do?

Most of the parts that contain modules may loose functionality if merged (especially if it's not a stock module).

You can safely weld any structural and tanks part together.

RCS can be welded but will act strange for the rotation.

Docking ports: not advice unless you end up with one only.

Just weld the thing without the winglets or RCS and place those afterwards. I'm going to do that on my ship when I can get the superstructure to weld properly.

Also, what do you mean by correctly? Is there any parts that could have made the weld go wrong?

When the welder try to weld two modules that are unknown to it (like mod modules), it will add a message that it didn't know what to do with it. So you will end up with the modules just wrote on the config file, you can play with it to make it work.

You can weld RCS onto your parts. Don't bother with docking ports because for whatever reason KSP only likes one per part. I recommend you break your station down into simple sections and weld those individual sections and then assemble in orbit. Here's an example of a weld I have with RCS ports. It's five parts total: the weld (octogonal strut with resources and RCS), two docking ports, and two solar panels. Also, do not weld solar panels and anything with a crew hatch unless it's pretty much the only part, like a pod with RCS built in.

Here's an example of a weld I have with RCS ports.

That's a sweet design! Never thought of using the strut to encapsulate everything else!

Also, do not weld solar panels and anything with a crew hatch unless it's pretty much the only part, like a pod with RCS built in.

Crew hatch need to be careful, the game like the hatch to be near the center of mass, it even is a problem for most part modders.

That's a sweet design! Never thought of using the strut to encapsulate everything else!

Crew hatch need to be careful, the game like the hatch to be near the center of mass, it even is a problem for most part modders.

Thanks. That strut (and docking ports and solar panels) is from helldiver's KSOS mod. The only thing I've welded with crew hatches are pods (or hitchhiker cans) to put RCS on them. I make sure the position of the pods are still at origin and so far I have had no problems with the hatch on them. They make for a nice escape pod. Even the MK1 command pod with welded RCS can get out of low orbit for a single kerbal if you add in some monoprop on the cfg.

When the welder try to weld two modules that are unknown to it (like mod modules), it will add a message that it didn't know what to do with it. So you will end up with the modules just wrote on the config file, you can play with it to make it work.

There are no modded parts on my ship, apart from the hull which is made from stock parts.

There are no modded parts on my ship, apart from the hull which is made from stock parts.

There are some stock Modules that I did not figure yet how to weld.

Great mod! thanks for this. i am trying to create a structural panel that has lots of air intakes attached, i want to weld it using your tool. My question is will the resulting part loose air intake functions?

I wouldn't add air intake to the weld unless you actually modify the .cfg after to correct the values. as of loosing air intake, well I guess it depend on where they are, since I would be one value instead of several.

Is a part config created in the weld process so I can go back and manually edit the modules to make them correct?

Yes the cfg is available and is considered as a new part and so you can modify it manually yourself (it's in the Part folder of the mod).

Just a little question, Welding saved already my life, I made, 742 parts into one.

But currently I have to correct the sacling of some KW parts manually in the cfg, did you find any way to work around? I can imagine it is not so easy.

Its seems to be this mod that causes the "ship name" field at the top of the VAB/SPH to not appear in KSP v.23.5 is there a fix for this?

EDIT: it seem there was a fix released, somehow I missed that before.

Does this mod work on 0.23.5?

Mulkuth fixed those issue: for the time I couldn't work on the mod dur to irl, check the download here

Can you tell me them? then i can remove them from my ship.

Animation, landing legs, fxanimatethrottle, launchclamp, fxpos, fxlookat, wheel, ladder, parachutes, decouple, intake, animheat, jetisson, seats, internal.

Just a little question, Welding saved already my life, I made, 742 parts into one.

But currently I have to correct the sacling of some KW parts manually in the cfg, did you find any way to work around? I can imagine it is not so easy.

This has a bit to do with how the game use the scale, the rescale factor on the cfg and how it's apply and all that. A pain, I will have a better look for the futurs versions.

The non playtest versions I am working on, I will be trying to actually support mods for the second and more versions.

One more question, when the weld is done, does the mod take into effect all of the MM configs that affect the parts in question, or just the part configs themselves? Basically, is the new part created from the parts as they are in the game or as they are in the folders? Thanks again.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Problem fixed. Details here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/170711/ksp-welded-parts-not-appearing.

tl;dr: the welding mod is saving part filenames incorrectly. Fix these in the .cfg file and all is well. Hopefully this will get fixed in the next update.

Thanks for the great tool UbioZur.

So you're saying the plugin was referencing the model file extension (mu) instead of the model filename (model)? I haven't experienced this issue myself, but that might be a platform issue like you suggest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.