Flying Saucers in KSP!

I'm sure we're all familiar with the saucer-shaped plane called the Avrocar that was created by Avro Aircraft Ltd.. It was intended to go supersonic and reach 80,000 ft. However, it ended up going about as fast as a car and never got more than 3 feet off the ground. Rdude71 has come up with a highly innovative solution=Simply strap a bunch of giant rocket boosters to it!!!!

The saucer I made in KSP was designed by the Kerbals as a result of increasing paranoia involving the discovery of crashed flying saucers on Kerbin's north pole and the Mun (these are easter eggs, in case you didn't know :cool:). The Kerbals were also alarmed at the discovery of a dead Space Kraken on Bop, and numerous other anomalies found on various planets including a face on Duna, a pyramid emitting an SSTV signal, etc., etc...

Anyways, the flying saucer I built is powered by 6 Skipper engines. Sadly, the ship has to use infinite fuel/RCS debug cheats to work.;.; The ship has landing legs and has achieved a maximum speed of 5,303 mph (2,000+m/s) in atmosphere during tests. It does not require parachutes to land, the engines are so powerful it can decelerate from 200+m/s to 10 m/s in a few seconds. The ship's hull is constructed entirely of structural panels reinforced with large amounts of space tape. Jeb loves space tape....Before I forget, I used NovaPunch Remix for heavy struts and heavy RCS thrusters. I also used the B9 pack for the pretty lights, and MechJeb 2 for control. Here's a link to the craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw67r11an99mcn0/Mark%201%20Saucer%20PROTO2.craft%20copy

And the required mods:

NovaPunch Remix: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/novapunch-remix-pack/

MechJeb 2: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/12384-PART-0-20-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-0-8

B9 Aerospace Pack: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-20-2-b9-aerospace-pack-r3-1/

I think those are all the mods I used. If I missed one, please tell me so I can fix it! :sticktongue:

Here's some screenshots of a test flight:

CRh3SOx.png

N2lQtrN.png

ahXmGak.png

t8zI8f5.png

E0bJk9i.png

t5ctwIQ.png

0slPiWp.png

aSdKSIO.png

mZBoUV5.png

voE9nER.png

Thank you for reading, and I hope I can make some helpful contributions to the community! :)

-rdude71

And by the way.....3,900 parts and your computer hasn't exploded!? Something isn't right.....:confused:

Well, it flies at 1 frame per second. Even without drop tanks, from liftoff to fuel out is about an hour twenty minutes.

I HAVE to ask. How do you rotate the parts around at non-90 degree angles? There's all kinds of builds I can do if I can figure out how to do that.

You hold shift while pressing the normal rotate keys and it rotates in 5 degree increments (or something like that)

Indeed it is! Here's the first thing I whipped up with this new knowledge. Which I thank you all for, of course.

screenshot126_zpsce9288df.png

screenshot127_zpsd9dbf879.png

screenshot128_zpse59439d6.png

While not a proper Treibflugel, it's the best I can do without pivot points. Or is there a way to do that as well? Using stock KSP?

Once I made one with monopropellant RCS, it actually flew nicely but it ran out of fuel in like 5 seconds, due to huge amounts of RCS ports to take off.

Didn't take screenshots though.

Would be better in low gravity and would last longer too, perhaps a small, light, moon lander?

Nice saucer you have there, sometimes I wonder how people manage to find enough patience to place all these structural panels...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.