[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Eeerrrrrr, anyone encounter massive fps drop with procedural fairing & MJ together? or did i missed anything solving this???

I use them together all the time and have seen no framerate drop whatsoever.

I think we need more texture options for the fairings. At least a heat shield option, too. Because this is quite awesome.

Also, the "decouple" function on the interstage adapter does do something! It severs your control of anything behind the adapter, without actually disconnecting it from the ship. Or maybe it's just this plane.

You can create your own texture, clone side fairing config and replace texture in it while using the same model and parameters. Mod my mod! :)

I guess the "decouple" effect is because of auto-struts that still hold the part after the stock decoupler module has detached it.

Eeerrrrrr, anyone encounter massive fps drop with procedural fairing & MJ together? or did i missed anything solving this???
I use them together all the time and have seen no framerate drop whatsoever.

Same.

Maybe you have too much fairing debris in orbit though.

I have a bug report. :(

In the VAB, I'm seeing huge framerate drops and occasional crashes, and I've narrowed it down to this mod. The debug log is full of

[EXC 15:34:41.640] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

As soon as I remove all Procedural Fairing parts from the vehicle, the problem is solved. This only happens in the VAB; not in flight. It isn't always immediate. Sometimes everything will be fine for a minute or so after the fairing parts are added. So my current workaround is to add the fairing parts last, don't save the vehicle with fairings installed, and launch immediately.

I have a bug report. :(

In the VAB, I'm seeing huge framerate drops and occasional crashes, and I've narrowed it down to this mod. The debug log is full of

[EXC 15:34:41.640] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

As soon as I remove all Procedural Fairing parts from the vehicle, the problem is solved. This only happens in the VAB; not in flight. It isn't always immediate. Sometimes everything will be fine for a minute or so after the fairing parts are added. So my current workaround is to add the fairing parts last, don't save the vehicle with fairings installed, and launch immediately.

Save the craft if you can get that again.

Does it happen with interstage adapter or regular fairings?

Haven't tried the interstage yet, just the regular pieces. I'll get the craft file. It has stretchy tanks, but no other mod parts.

Edit: Hang on, I'm an idiot. I didn't eliminate all other mods. If I get rid of KerbPaint, the problem is resolved. Looks like a conflict between the fairings and the paint. Nothing more to see here.

Edited by White Owl

Haven't tried the interstage yet, just the regular pieces. I'll get the craft file. It has stretchy tanks, but no other mod parts.

Edit: Hang on, I'm an idiot. I didn't eliminate all other mods. If I get rid of KerbPaint, the problem is resolved. Looks like a conflict between the fairings and the paint. Nothing more to see here.

I wish he could make that mod capatible with all the other mods. Talking about paint. It would be nice to paint Fairings that way

Same.

Maybe you have too much fairing debris in orbit though.

I have just 1 interstage on my rocket. And i have set KSP persistence debris to minimal (if not 0) because of this but still the same.

I have just 1 interstage on my rocket. And i have set KSP persistence debris to minimal (if not 0) because of this but still the same.

Check debug log for spammed errors.

Post the craft file you have trouble with.

Test a rocket with regular fairings, not interstage adapter to see if it's the cause of the problem.

Suggestion/request: a procedural engine mount plate. Let us pick how many engines and adjust the radius. For example, I could place five 3.5 meter engines below a large stretchy tank for the Saturn V S-IC and S-II stages, or any other combination of number and radius, like the Falcon 9 v1.1 Octaweb.

You could have a couple different parts for the number of rings. For example, to get the 8-engine layout of the Saturn IB S-IB stage.

I know everyone has a different idea on the tech tree, but I think these parts are available way too early. I started a new game, and on the second level the fairing bases are available (along with the fairings). This is at the same time our intrepid green friends figure out what a nosecone is - and they've advanced to wrapping immense shrouds around payloads with explosive decoupling at the same time? Heck, the Rockomax adapter isn't even available yet, and that's just a cone.

It seems a little too easy. These shrouds are for big payloads that are bulky and un-aerodynamic, I don't even have the tech to separate that payload from the rocket that carried it (stack decouplers), let alone actually assemble anything complex with radial decouplers or structural parts like girders...

I know everyone has a different idea on the tech tree, but I think these parts are available way too early. I started a new game, and on the second level the fairing bases are available (along with the fairings). This is at the same time our intrepid green friends figure out what a nosecone is - and they've advanced to wrapping immense shrouds around payloads with explosive decoupling at the same time? Heck, the Rockomax adapter isn't even available yet, and that's just a cone.

It seems a little too easy. These shrouds are for big payloads that are bulky and un-aerodynamic, I don't even have the tech to separate that payload from the rocket that carried it (stack decouplers), let alone actually assemble anything complex with radial decouplers or structural parts like girders...

Yeah, I might move them in the next update.

Picked up a couple of minor glitches with the Interstage fairing piece and the electable fairing parts.

- If you use the fuselage parts for the interstage (i.e. so they aren't ejected on stage sep as in some rockets) the separation can fail if you use the magic stuts. I think they are stuickling to the next stage? Turn off magic struts and it all works fine.

- If you use electable fairing parts for the interstage, the interstage decoupler seems to decouple the paylod when ou detach the side fairings, EVEN if you put the interstage decoupler action in a later stage from the side fairing ejection.

I can do more testing if required, I had both come up while testing my Saturn V replica. I have several other mods loaded and I don't know if they are affecting it.

Also, lander aero-shells, I know you are working on them but I await with baited breath :)

EDIT: Scratch the first one, it seems to work okay now :)

Edited by MDBenson

The second one isn't a glitch, It's by design!!! The only thing keeping the payload attached ARE the side fairings! The Interstage decoupler was designed so you could do a TRUE Saturn V replica, the only thing that held up the CSM above the LM were the fairings......

I see... so the TOP node ejects the UPPER payload when the fairings separate but the lower node (on the fairing base) stays put and requires a decoupler? I think I understand now...

Edited by MDBenson

I see... so the TOP node ejects the UPPER payload when the fairings separate but the lower node (on the fairing base) stays put and required a decoupler? I think I understand now...

Yes. The stock decoupler module was added to the adapter so that delta-v calculators like MechJeb and KER could detect the stage separation. It's not intended as the real decoupler, ejecting side fairings should do that.

Yes. The stock decoupler module was added to the adapter so that delta-v calculators like MechJeb and KER could detect the stage separation. It's not intended as the real decoupler, ejecting side fairings should do that.

Ah, okay, so that was just for the staging calculations. I see :) It actually works better than just that, it has the side-effect of you being able to use fuselage sections and have tubular, non-ejecting fairings for in-line stages which I know some real rockets use.

That's actually quite funky, it allows for quite a few secondary payload configurations below the crew module on my rockets which will benefit some of my build-in-orbit programs. Excellent. Your work is so well thought out (when I actually understand it ^_^), e-dog, thanks :)

I have a question about this mod.

Is this mod just eyecandy? Or does it improve any stability/aerodynamic of the rocket?

Thanks in advance :)

It does greatly improve aerodynamics if you're using FAR mod.

It might somewhat improve stability with stock aerodynamics. I'm going to zero payload drag while inside fairings, but that's not implemented yet.

It does greatly improve aerodynamics if you're using FAR mod.

It might somewhat improve stability with stock aerodynamics. I'm going to zero payload drag while inside fairings, but that's not implemented yet.

Ok thanks. As expected...like the stock-nose cones have no effect to aerodynamics...this too dont have.

But keep it up the mod...as soon as they (Squad) improve the aerodynamic with a patch, this become very usefull.

But for now..I dont want to install too much mods. If I need FAR mod to get a benefit, I'll MAYBE( :D ) wait until the stock game provide more aerodynamic features.

Thanks for your answer. Maybe I install it soon just for eyecandy - but for now I first want to try out Kethane Mod. If this works properly and my framerate is better, I will give thos two mods a chance :)

(I wish I had a high-end pc - there are so many cool mods and I would like to use almost all mods :D )

Edit: Ahhh...forget what I said above. Downloading it....:D

Edit 2:

Just one question: How to "decouple" it? I saw the screenshots of the "How to use"Imgur Album. But I dont get it how I can decouple these parts if they have no decouple function...?

Edited by Duke-49th

There is also the point that, although with stock aerodynamics it's of limited practical use, it does allow you to make custom rockets that look awesome, that's very important for me :) It also has a lower part count (especially for larger fairings) and is more stable and secure than the KW or Novapunch fairing systems.

Just one question: How to "decouple" it? I saw the screenshots of the "How to use"Imgur Album. But I dont get it how I can decouple these parts if they have no decouple function...?

You have to put a decoupler between the fairing base and the item. On most real rockets the fairings are jettisoned in the upper atmosphere to provide the drag to pull them away cleanly, but the payload is left attached to the rocket until it finishes it's orbital ascent. Simply use a stock decoupler above the fairing base and attach your payload on top of that. A couple of the mod parts kits like KW Rocketry and NovaPunch have some nice looking light-weight decouplers that make a nice alternative to the stock ones which IMHO are very ugly (esp. the 2.5m one).

Any actual benefits to using fairings will be welcome, though nice-looking ships is often reward enough itself.

A question/feature request. Would it be possible to make the decoupler on the interstage fairing adapter optional? Maybe as a separate part. What I'm trying to do is combine the interstage fairing adapter with the fuselage shrouds to create a hollow segment in my rockets, the contents of which only have to be anchored at one end. The decoupler built into the fairing adapter slices the top off when triggered though, and since it is a decoupler it can't be removed from the staging stack, only delayed.