[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I`m wanting a ring that can be decoupled as a ring to use as an interstage.

Currently I have to put an interstage adapter above some engines (which is fine) then stage to keep the fairing around the engines during flight (also great so far) then when the fairing is ejected it splits into four parts and acts like a fairing instead of an interstage (which should have ullage motors and instrumentation on it and separate as a single part)

To get a ring that can be used as an interstage and be ejected as a ring I have had to use I-beams which is less than ideal.

you just need to attach the interstage fairing base _below_ the engine and adjust the extra fairing height to cover the sides of the engine. then you can use the structural fairings and you can decouple the whole thing like a real interstage ring. personaly i attach another decoupler below the interstage base and put two small srb seperatrons inside, to move the interstage away from the engines.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by acc
typo

you just need to attach the interstage fairing base _below_ the engine and adjust the extra fairing height to cover the sides of the engine. then you can use the structural fairings and you can decouple the whole thing like a real interstage ring. personaly i attach another decoupler below the interstage base and put two small srb seperatrons inside, to move the interstage away from the engines.

http://imgur.com/a/3e1cL

So that would enable me to separate stage 1, leave the ring attached, burn stage 2 for a minute then drop the interstage (and ullage motors) like a ring you can see through?

This is the action I would like to have.

Currently, I use an interstage above with crossflow enabled and drop the fairings but they fly apart in four pieces (zero ejection force would be handy)

If I put the interstage below I cannot burn the engines for a minute before dropping the fairing.

Is there something I am missing about your solution? It really looks like the solution I need...

Edited by John FX
typo + clarity.

So that would enable me to separate stage 1, leave the ring attached, burn stage 2 for a minute then drop the interstage (and ullage motors) like a ring?

This is the action I would like to have.

Currently, I use an interstage above with crossflow enabled and drop the fairings but they fly apart in four pieces (zero ejection force would be handy)

If I put the interstage below I cannot burn the engines for a minute before dropping the fairing.

Is there something I am missing about your solution? It really looks like the solution I need...

hm, i'm not sure about burning through the interstage adapter, i just decouple stage 1, decouple the ring and then fire the engine.

I need this to happen but for the fairings not to eject sideways so they fall away as a ring (I`m guessing that`s the easiest way to adapt the current mod to have this functionality)

If we could have a `zero ejection force` option that would sort me out great. Obviously a single ring that could be ejected would be better (maybe have the number of fairing parts be adjustable procedurally?)

KtmRgqx.png

dxXVBPj.png

II0DmKK.png

Edited by John FX

Beat me to it.

I've been trying to make an interstage ring with the current system, but it always ends up wrong.

The best solution I have found at the moment is the smallest I-beam in a ring (much less than ideal. adds about 50 parts and a lot of weight but does make a good ring)

As I say, a quick and dirty hotfix while a better solution could be found would be a zero ejection force option. I can imagine this may be handy in other situations.

I need this to happen but for the fairings not to eject sideways so they fall away as a ring (I`m guessing that`s the easiest way to adapt the current mod to have this functionality)

If we could have a `zero ejection force` option that would sort me out great. Obviously a single ring that could be ejected would be better (maybe have the number of fairing parts be adjustable procedurally?)

http://i.imgur.com/KtmRgqx.png

http://i.imgur.com/dxXVBPj.png

http://i.imgur.com/II0DmKK.png

Perhaps you need this. XD

ProcFairingsFuselageCutJoint-1.png

A screenshot will never hurt I guess. :)

Also, thanks simonArtisian again for making that wonderful model.

I forgot to pack this part, I will release the part soon. BTW you can disable the auto-struts to achieve this too.

Here's a brief draft of two different designs I've been using.

PFInterstage.png

Edited by HoneyFox

Perhaps you need this. XD

I forgot to pack this part, I will release the part soon. BTW you can disable the auto-struts to achieve this too.

Here's a brief draft of two different designs I've been using.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/HoneyFox_HF/PFInterstage.png

So you are releasing it someday :P Finally, craving for that one since you previously posted it

:P I got several plugins twirling in my mind so forgot that.

EDIT: Here goes the part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldshzk2w3pq1l3t/hollowAdapter.zip

Surprisingly simple to make this work. I don't even have Fuselage pieces unlocked, but easy workaround is to put the fairing decoupler modules up in stage 0 so they just won't get fired.

http://imgur.com/a/EyPk3

Thanks for this part design!

Surprisingly simple to make this work. I don't even have Fuselage pieces unlocked, but easy workaround is to put the fairing decoupler modules up in stage 0 so they just won't get fired.

http://imgur.com/a/EyPk3

Thanks for this part design!

Yes this will work too, as long as you disable the Auto-Struts of the adapter.

I still prefer the fuselage (though it's in a tech-node higher in the tech-tree) because fuselages won't add unnecessary staging icons into the staging list. You know that staging design will be quite tedious when you have lots of such stages in your rocket design. :)

Yeah, three "stages" per separation, with it set up that way. It makes for really awesome looking designs though. And I'll certainly switch to fuselage pieces as soon as I get enough science to unlock them!

I think I had auto-struts on, but I'm not sure if they're actually working. I have KJR installed, if that makes a difference. I kept having a problem with the second design you showed where it wouldn't stay attached as soon as I went to launch the rocket - the connected floating nodes would apparently just instantly detach from each other, leaving all my stages below that still listed on the left but empty of modules and most of the craft sitting useless on the pad below what remained of it.

Yeah, three "stages" per separation, with it set up that way. It makes for really awesome looking designs though. And I'll certainly switch to fuselage pieces as soon as I get enough science to unlock them!

I think I had auto-struts on, but I'm not sure if they're actually working. I have KJR installed, if that makes a difference. I kept having a problem with the second design you showed where it wouldn't stay attached as soon as I went to launch the rocket - the connected floating nodes would apparently just instantly detach from each other, leaving all my stages below that still listed on the left but empty of modules and most of the craft sitting useless on the pad below what remained of it.

KJR will automatically destroy joints that are connecting two different vessels. so once the decoupler on the adapter is activated, the rocket actually turns into two different vessels and hence all the "auto-struts" should be destroyed at that moment. But I've met some situations that these joints are not destroyed as they should be, so I recommend disabling the auto-struts option.

EDIT: As for the second design i mentioned, make sure you have installed fairings/fuselages to all these adapters, if any adapter has no fairing/fuselage installed, it will automatically decouple the floating node.

Edited by HoneyFox

I kept having a problem with the second design you showed where it wouldn't stay attached as soon as I went to launch the rocket - the connected floating nodes would apparently just instantly detach from each other, leaving all my stages below that still listed on the left but empty of modules and most of the craft sitting useless on the pad below what remained of it.

I have this problem as well, but not with anything as complicated as the second design. If I just attach the float node to an engine and then put the fuselages on then a lot of the time (it is not consistent) my rocket falls apart. I am using KJR and it is at the stage that the "KJR stabilizing physics load" message appears that the rocket falls apart. It doesn't seem to matter whether autostruts are on or off. It also doesn't seem to matter whether I've manually installed struts from the adapter to the engine. It does seem to matter how I set the height and top width of the fuselage, since fiddling with those usually fixes the problem. But I haven't found any systematic way to set the height and top width so that things work. Sometimes "burying" the top of the fuselage deep inside the fuel tank works and other times it doesn't. Is there a secret? At the moment I've got a rocket that I can't get to hold together even after fiddling for over 20 minutes!

------------------------

Later edit: Hmm...it may have to do with what kind of engine it is. Switched from an AIES engine (which gave problems) to a Novapunch engine and the problem disappeared. I will test further... With the AIES engine it appears that the fairing somehow makes the engine break off of the fuel tank above it.

Edited by gleedadswell
update

Oh, I see what was going on then. I just had fairings on one of them, extended to cover the entire gap. I'm not entirely sure what the benefit of the two floating nodes attached to each other is, then. The floating node on any version of the interstage adapter seems to make engines skip their own auto-fairings regardless.

Also, KSP normally destroys struts between decoupled sections anyway. It doesn't require KJR for that - although I know there had been bugs with that in stock KSP, such as decoupler force being canceled out...

Thank you so much for the interstage ring. Now I can do this ;) I have placed a small decoupler below the interstage ring so I can drop stage 1 and I have turned off autostrutting.

I can now use 5 stages between stage 1 burning and stage 2 . First the Ullage engines and retrorockets are fired. They will thrust for three seconds. Then stage 1 separates and 2 seconds later stage 2 ignites. When stage 2 is found to be running ok then the escape tower is released. Once in thin enough air the interstage is released.

imgur album here soon

Works great. My mun mission now has 21 stages though, hehe