Steam transfer

Sigomidis

I was thinking about the Steam transfer option for a long time but there is a small matter that is concerning me. A few months ago HarvesteR announced that any KSP expansions will be free for anyone that bought the game before April 1st (or something along these lines). I bought the game from the KSP store last year (in 2012). Since the game is available on Steam I thought seriously to transfer it to my Steam account, but if I do transfer it now will this change my purchase date to the Steam transfer date? If this happens I'm worried that I won't be getting the free KSP expansions. Is this a legit worry or should I go ahead and transfer the game to Steam?

Also mods, I love playing KSP with mods but if I transfer am I going to be able to install mods and if its possible, how?

I would appreciate your response, it will be extremely helpful :)

I don't know about the first part of your question, but I would imagine that if you did transfer then you would still be entitled to a free expansion that might be released.

Regarding your second question, you would still be able to use mods just as you can now.

lol in all honesty, I still hate this whole free expansion thing. I will complain about it till the day I die XD. Either everyone should be getting it for free, or no one should be getting it for free.

Either way, back on subject, I wouldn't do it just in case.

If you purchased it before April 1st, you're entitled to free expansions. If Steam doesn't record a date of purchase, you'll need some other kind of evidence to establish you bought it before April 1st, but that doesn't take away from Squad's obligation to make good on their promise at the time of sale.

As for mods, you'll probably have to deal with the usual restrictions Steam imposes regarding e.g. installation location, and you'll definitely want to turn off auto-updates, but you should still be able to install mods. Steam doesn't make earlier versions of the game available, though, so you should be careful and save your previous version when updating, just in case the update breaks a mod.

Perhaps I am missing something here but installing user made mods on the Steam version of the game is the same as usual, copy mod into gamedata folder and run game.

As for the free expansion issue, well I only got to be aware of the game when I saw the Steam presentation for it and I thought that looked interesting and after watching some vids I picked it up, so I didnt get the option to buy now and get expansions for free in my opinion (so I am obviously a lesser customer in Squads opinion) as the game wasnt too widely advertised at the time (perhaps more an issue in the scope I tend to hang around in)... so when expansions come I will just ignore them, and if by any chance the expansion adds stuff I personally would consider core then I will ignore Squad as a developer (stuff like say add resourcing in as a expansion is core, but new systems beyond Kerbol is not core).

Personal opinion.

Perhaps I am missing something here but installing user made mods on the Steam version of the game is the same as usual, copy mod into gamedata folder and run game.

As for the free expansion issue, well I only got to be aware of the game when I saw the Steam presentation for it and I thought that looked interesting and after watching some vids I picked it up, so I didnt get the option to buy now and get expansions for free in my opinion (so I am obviously a lesser customer in Squads opinion) as the game wasn't too widely advertised at the time (perhaps more an issue in the scope I tend to hang around in)...

What? Not sure I get you on this.

Anyway, the KSP store probably records every purchase and the time of them, and I believe when you get the game on steam it does tell the KSP store a copy has been bought, and probably the username. Although it'S an hypothesis, so I don't know exactly.

And by the way all, the limit date was April 30th, not April 1st.

As for the free expansion issue, well I only got to be aware of the game when I saw the Steam presentation for it and I thought that looked interesting and after watching some vids I picked it up, so I didnt get the option to buy now and get expansions for free in my opinion (so I am obviously a lesser customer in Squads opinion) as the game wasnt too widely advertised at the time (perhaps more an issue in the scope I tend to hang around in)... so when expansions come I will just ignore them, and if by any chance the expansion adds stuff I personally would consider core then I will ignore Squad as a developer (stuff like say add resourcing in as a expansion is core, but new systems beyond Kerbol is not core).

Personal opinion.

This is exactly my stance on the subject of giving away the expansions free to some of the customers. I been watching KSP well before March, and didn't get the money to pay for it till after April. Heck, I didn't even know about this whole free expansion thing until AFTER I purchased KSP in May.

I was kinda pissed when I found out, and still am.

If squad does end up making expansions, I hope it's nothing that I feel should be in the main game, cause if it is I will never buy another game from them again.

Though I am not too worried about it, since I believe Squad isn't like that.

This is exactly my stance on the subject of giving away the expansions free to some of the customers. I been watching KSP well before March, and didn't get the money to pay for it till after April. Heck, I didn't even know about this whole free expansion thing until AFTER I purchased KSP in May.

I was kinda pissed when I found out, and still am.

If squad does end up making expansions, I hope it's nothing that I feel should be in the main game, cause if it is I will never buy another game from them again.

Though I am not too worried about it, since I believe Squad isn't like that.

Don't worry, Harvester specifically said that expansions would be things that don't fit in the normal game.

If you transfer to Steam it's probably a good idea to CYA. Make sure you have any receipts and proof of purchase from the SQUAD site backed up so you can prove you bought the game before April 30th. I don't think there'll be any real problem since you have to go through the SQUAD site to transfer, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Speaking of which...

Don't worry, Harvester specifically said that expansions would be things that don't fit in the normal game.

lol ya, that is why I am not too worried about it. Harvester seems like an awesome person anyway, I trust him more than any other game developer I know.

when you say expansions do you mean updates?

By expansions, he means expansions. There will be expansions for KSP. And Sigomidis, you should be fine if you transfer your game. It does not affect your account at all, I don't know what people are saying. It just puts the game on Steam, not the whole account. My purchase date is still on my profile page 2012-04-17.

Edited by swiftgates24

By expansions, he means expansions. There will be expansions for KSP. And Sigomidis, you should be fine if you transfer your game. It does not affect your account at all, I don't know what people are saying. It just puts the game on Steam, not the whole account. My purchase date is still on my profile page 2012-04-17.

No there won't be extensions for KSP, there could be expansions, it's pretty different.

I think, if you bought the game direct from the site, the purchase date will already have been recorded in their database, regardless of whether you transfer to Steam afterward or not. I don't know about new Steam purchases as far as Squad are concerned, but Steam itself (I believe) does record date of purchase for an individual account. It would be a necessary element to have available in the event a buyer is requesting a refund, and Steam would need to be able to verify the request isn't coming from somebody who's trying to "game" the system, so to speak.

Yeah, same here. I bought the game in like spring of last year, and transferred it over to Steam about three weeks ago. I really hope I can still get the expansions.

Edit: Like Maddmatts said, it shows you when you originally bought the game, so I guess don't worry about it.

Edited by AustralianFries

You will AustralianFries, as it's by original purchase date which is still held by Squad on the store account, not transfer date to Steam.

Expansions are a possibility but we'll have to wait and see if they really do happen, Squad might just keep working on the main game.

Either way we win, we'll get more KSP to enjoy :)

• 1 month later...

So once KSP is transferred, will I still be able to play it if I cannot access my Steam account? Can I still download updated versions and play stand alone as before?

I am worried that if my Steam account is hacked / banned I will no longer be able to play KSP

Your entire Steam account isn't going to get banned...that just doesn't make sense. Even if you cheat in games that you own or use hacks or whatever, you're only going to get banned from those games' multiplayer components because each is an individual service.

If you're honestly afraid about your steam account being stolen, just use steamguard and never let another human(or non-human, for that matter) know the password to your email address...and change it regularly. Use numbers, random caps, made-up words and so on to ensure a safe password. Then bam, your steam account is more or less completely safe. Just be wary of phishing attempts(they're usually pretty easy to spot).

That said, when you download the game through steam, it's the exact same folder that you get when you download the game from the ksp store. You can copy it anywhere and run the ksp executable without steam being aware of it. Kinda like Terraria and probably a handful of other games. You can even run it as a non-steam game in steam even though it's also in your steam list. Doing this would be good if you forget to disable automatic updates and/or just want to run an alternate install of the game with all your mods and favorite save file.

So yay~

lol in all honesty, I still hate this whole free expansion thing. I will complain about it till the day I die XD. Either everyone should be getting it for free, or no one should be getting it for free.

Either way, back on subject, I wouldn't do it just in case.

I dunno about that. Consider the bonus for early buyers as being a reward for giving the devs a bunch of money early on to continue development with. All too often with all too many products, the early adopters get stiffed.

Nice to see an early adopter reward for once.

So once KSP is transferred, will I still be able to play it if I cannot access my Steam account? Can I still download updated versions and play stand alone as before?

I am worried that if my Steam account is hacked / banned I will no longer be able to play KSP

Steam does not need to be running for you to play KSP.

Steam does need to be running and online for it to update KSP.

If your steam account is hacked/ banned then you will not be able to get further updates.

@Beeman

It looks like thy can ban anyone's account if they wish so. Then you loose all the games you bought on Steam. I don't cheat but I don't like to be at someone's mercy. I'd rather have a "hard" copy instead. This is from EULA:

Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so.

@FITorion

Thanks for clarification. At least game EXE does not require steam to run.

Will I still be able to download updates through KSP store as usual?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.